“So many questions...so many answers...”
Review of Danny the Digger

Danny the Digger
Ranked #25 of 270 Tours in Jerusalem
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed April 30, 2014

After looking for a long while for the perfect guide to help me experience my first visit to Israel, I was connected with Danny Herman, "Danny, The Digger." I had scheduled three days of touring with him and it turned out to be a great decision. His infinite knowledge of the Israeli landscape and it's history was clearly evident. There was no question too trite, nor too complex for him to explain. His familiarity and enthusiasm about the sites we visited was contagious. I came to Israel filled with questions about culture, ancient civilizations and historical perspective. Danny skillfully answered all of those, and encouraged me to formulate so many more! It was a visit I won't soon forget.

All reviews
"israeli culture"
"unique perspective"
"current events"

Reviewed April 18, 2014

Our family did the tour of the old city with Danny in February and had a fantastic time. Not only does his extensive knowledge make the city and it's history truly come alive, but he is very relatable and always willing to answer any in-depth questions one might have. Our visit to this beautiful city with him made it a truly remarkable experience!

Reviewed April 15, 2014

A couple of years ago, our first visit to Jerusalem was a cruise ship day excursion from Ashdod harbor and back. It consisted primarily of brief stops at the Yad Vashem Holocaust Museum, the Israel Dead Sea Scrolls Museum and the Western Wall. Nice, but we wanted more. This time around we had scheduled two full days in Jerusalem and knew we needed to engage a professional tour guide just for us in order to better maximize our still limited visit. Luckily, we found Danny "The Digger" Herman available.

Danny is a formally trained archeologist as well as a tour guide and the influence of both these professions are evident in his tour style. Having personally participated in Jerusalem digs provides Danny with a perspective few, if any, can match. Being able to peek in on current active
sites combined with his in-depth knowledge of antiquities already uncovered from ancient Jerusalem and the City of David makes him an excellent tutor.

As a tour guide, Danny brings insight to the city as it exists today, some of the new with some of the old, the historical influence of three major religions, photo opportunities galore, good places to eat in all four quarters of the old city, where to find parking, as well as fair places to shop for souvenirs and where to find clean restrooms. As a third generation Israeli, Danny can enlighten you with an insider's perspective on today's news.

If you are a history buff, Jerusalem brings you over 4,000 years of history. If you are religious or are even interested in the impact of religions, Judaism, Christianity and the Muslim religion collide on these very hills. If you are a world traveler, Jerusalem is the confluence of many cultures, languages, customs and styles and, if you need someone to help you understand it all, I heartily recommend Danny Herman.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

My husband and I spent two incredible days hiking, climbing, descending and crawling around, over and under Jerusalem with Danny Herman and could not believe how much we saw, did and learned in that short period of time. It’s obvious that Danny customizes each tour based on his clients’ desires, filling every minute with relevant historical stories and finding just the right restaurants and shops to match his clients’ interests. Danny’s background in archeology certainly added to his value as a guide, providing a unique perspective to the history of Jerusalem.