“Flexible and Knowledgeable - NOT a canned tour!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Danny the Digger

Danny the Digger
Ranked #17 of 224 Tours in Jerusalem
San Francisco, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Flexible and Knowledgeable - NOT a canned tour!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

We booked Danny to tour our group of 4 who happened to include a Holocaust survivor -Max (89 years old) on his first - and likely only - trip to Israel. We knew we wanted to emphasize the Jewish history in Jerusalem, but quickly found we were also interested in hearing about the other religions in the region. Two of us wanted to walk to explore the sites while 2 were limited in terms of mobility. This was no problem for Danny. He picked us up from our apartment in Tel Aviv and gave us a great deal of information on the drive to Jerusalem. BTW - his car was very comfortable for 4 adults. Danny answered our many questions about religion but also gave us excellent information about the archeological support (or lack thereof) for the history. It was truly one of the most informative tours I've ever had. More importantly, he was kind and patient with our slow-moving caravan of a group and flexed to meet our interests. I was most impressed with this aspect of his approach. We felt like the tour was just for us and not a rote, memorized version of history. Bravo to you Danny for making our time in Israel memorable - especially for Max.

Visited May 2013

• Hebrew first
Kihei, Hawaii
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Exceeding expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

We highly recommend Danny to anyone who wants the best. Danny is a fantastic guide and a wonderful person. He is extremely knowledgable about Israel's history and conveys that information with passion and excitement. We had the privilege to spend 7 days with Danny, 2 days exploring Jerusalem and the remaining time traveling to areas around Haifa, En Gev and En Gedi. We thoroughly enjoyed every moment. The drives in the car were filled with explanations about the region's geology, flora and fauna while listening to wonderful music. We enjoyed the delightful stops for lunch at terrific local spots Danny knows. And of course, we visited many historic sites, some with on going excavations so new that they were a surprise for Danny to see as well, some at excavations Danny was personally involved with and some where he knew the archeologist colleagues in charge of the project. Learning about Danny's life growing up on a kibbutz was also very informative, adding to the understanding of how Israel has evolved over the past several thousand years. If you decide on a guided trip, Danny is the perfect choice. He made our trip one we will cherish always.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Bruce C
Weatherford, Texas, United States
“It was a 2 day tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

I have started this review on several occasions and I found myself composing a dissertation on just the 2 days we spent touring with Mr. Herman, I will provide the abridged version; he gives an educated and passionate explanation of the sites you visit to the degree that you want to move to Israel and join his and Israel’s efforts. He is an extraordinary friend to have in Israel and his colleagues are equally passionate and completely immersed with all that is Israel!! And to qualify this review, I live in Texas, North America and this was a trip of a lifetime and will motivate me to return. Israel will always be on my mind and in my heart. Thank you very much and I hope to see you soon!!

Visited April 2013
Davis, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Jerusalem Tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

This is the second time that I hired Danny for Jerusalem tour, and it was superb again. I asked him for a tour of Jerusalem as a city for the three main western religions. How it started, the history, and today. You can probably spend weeks talking about it but Danny is an archeologist and has a pragmatic and realistic view of this complex and complicated city. So he doesn’t dwell in stories and mystics but tells you what is written in the bible and other old writings, what was found in archeology diggings, and what you see in front of your eyes. This approach is less colorful and emotional but very exciting and enriching. For one day I’ve had the gift of visiting and better understanding the holy places for Christians, Jews, and Muslim. My perspective on religions, the complexities of this city and this country has greatly expended and deepen. Danny’s superb knowledge of history and archeology opens a window into this rich and beautiful city.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank meirmg
Caithness and Sutherland, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“An excellent, exceedingly professional guide”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

I'm sorry this review is a bit late . . . My wife and I participated in a Biblical Archeological Society tour in late October, 2012, under the guidance of Danny. It was a fabulous experience. Danny is the consummate professional, extraordinarily knowledgeable about all matters to do with archaeology. He set us up with top archaeologists for personal lectures and tours. He was very good at dealing with unexpected problems, which inevitably occur on such tours. He was invariably personable, and open about his own views on the political situation in Israel. If we could do the tour again, a repeat from start to finish, we would, instantly. The only thing we would criticize, if you could call it a criticism, would be Danny's tendency to schedule too much for any given day! But the bright side is the implied testimony to his knowledge and enthusiasm. We hope to someday renew our acquaintance with Danny on a new tour.

Visited October 2012