“What about Abraham Hostel?”

Abraham Hostel Jerusalem
Toronto, Canada
“What about Abraham Hostel?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

We booked a double bed room. It's about CDN $100/night, about $50 more than our room in Tel-Aviv (also a hostel). Israel is not cheap. This is evident even with just buying a simple meal of shwarma.

The room is very basic and two twin beds placed together to make a double bed. This can be annoying when the bed separates as the night goes by. The room is reasonably clean with a fridge. It had a separate shower room and toilet room. You have the option of having it cleaned every day. We were placed in the third floor so it was not very noisy unless you open the windows then you can hear the traffic. There are earplugs available at reception. Also, if you are an early sleeper, ask if you can have a room in higher floors and away from the common room. We came during the winter and thank goodness the room had a heater.

Unfortunately, you have to put the timer on in order to get a hot shower, This was the same for the accommodations in Tel Aviv and Nazareth as well. You need to remember to extend the timer if there are two of you who need to shower.

The common room is huge equipped with a bar, pool table, kitchen, fridges, piano, couches and hammocks. Breakfast was plentiful comprised of cereal, bread, salads and hummus. We got and boiled eggs to supplement our breakfast. You have to pay extra for a machine-produced cappucino/espresso but it's not worth it. There's coffee and tea available anytime.

They always have activities every night even a Shabbat night which was great to experience even though it's pretty informal. Great time to chat or catch up with other travellers. There's also happy hour but we always missed it because of activities during the day.

The staff especially the volunteers are friendly however, I cannot say the same for the ladies at reception. A client should not feel that you are disturbing them (I mean God forbid I had a question at reception!) especially when it was not even a busy time for them.

There is also the Abraham Tours Desk at reception area which was an excellent source for activities.

There's also a 24-hour convenient store (except for Shabbat) beside it so we bought our wine from there which you can bring to the common room.

Make sure to shop for food before Shabbat since most places including restaurants will close unless owned by Arab or Christian.

Also, you only get a free welcome drink if you book through their website. Unfortunately, we missed out since we booked via the Hostelbookers.

Don't expect much with the available wi-fi especially when in the room.

The place is 30 minutes walk to the old city, 15 minutes walk to the market and 20 minutes walk to the bus station. You can take the tram if you wish but we like to walk.

Overall, it's a good place for backpackers and budget travellers alike. The highlight are the activities and tours offered. Here you end up meeting other independent and interesting travellers, not tourists, who may be your future friends.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank YYZ_to_newhere

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Katowice, Poland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

We spent 2 nights in january 2014. Everything was simply perfect. I'm very impresed of atmosphere of this place. I couldn't find any points the owners should to change in the organisation and facilities of this hostel. Congratulations to staff !!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Piotr X
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

We stayed in a double private, poor matrasses, old rooms and you have to heat the water 40 minutes before you want to take a shower which is pretty inconvenient. Fot the price we paid (70 eoros) we expected more.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Anne M
Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

I first came to Israel on my Birthright trip, and then to extend to a 6 month program. I was left with a month long gap between my programs, with nothing to do, and no where to go, and not too many contacts in this Country.

Before coming to Abraham's hostel, I had traveled through Israel and stayed at numerous hostels throughout the country. For the sake of those other hostels, I will refrain from naming them. But if you check, you should see my reviews for them as well, and you will immediately see the difference.

I spent about a week at this place. A few friends stayed in the dorms for a couple of days, which were clean, and also new towels, and linen was provided everyday, or more frequent if requested. I was also told there were no issues, and all the guests were respectful of each other and their stay in the dorms were drama free.

Me personally, I stayed in a Single room. One of the less expensive, but private rooms. Since I'm going to a Kibbutz soon, I wanted my privacy before I spend 6 months of communal living. My room overlooked the Beautiful Davidka Square where I could see Jaffa St, and the train, and just beautiful sights.....

The room had its own Shower and Toilet (W.C.) of course. Very clean and modern Facilities, I also had an AC/Heater unit, since its winter I only used the Heater but it was toasty warm the entire time. I was also surprised to find a mini-fridge in my room as well, which made it easy to save leftovers from all the delicious food I would buy at the Market. The room also had a 2 sinks, 1 in the Restroom, and 1 in the “Kitchenette” area. Also, their was a desk and chair and plenty of drawers and shelves so that I could still do work on my computer, and had plenty of room to place my belongings and organize my stuff. Also had multiple mirrors in the room, which a lot of hostels do not have.

Though the rooms were nice, nothing can compare to the Staff. There is Staff, Volunteer Staff, and also the House Crew / Cleaning Crew if I am not mistaken. Though everybody is so nice and helpful its hard to tell who is what type of staff member. The rooms were terrific, but what really made my stay were the people who kept this place running and clean. I cant think of any complaints, but I can think of a few things that Stand Out in my mind. If you haven’t read their Website, the Reception is open 24/7. I can't count the number of times that I went down there to ask for simple directions, questions about where to find certain shopping items, the best place for this or that, and they never got frustrated or annoyed with me, no matter how silly my questions were. Even in the most high class of Hotels you do not come across a group of people like this. This TRUELY is a special group of people who keep this place running smoothly.

Here are just some of the many things that the staff bent over backwards, and went above and beyond the call duty, to help me with:
– I was feeling under the weather, and had a sore throat, and one of the staff (who was off duty at the time) went and got me fresh mint leaves to put in my tea to help me feel better.
--I had important documents I needed to print and fax for my upcoming program, and they took care of it for me.
– I had to make a Doctor's appointment, but my travel insurance only spoke Hebrew, and they helped me set up the appointment and made sure that I didn't get ripped off.
--In the Laundry Room, there is only a Detergent Dispenser. I asked one of the Cleaning Crew / House Staff which the closest place that I could go to buy some Fabric Softener was and he told me to hang on for 2min, and when he returned he brought me a ½ bottle of his own personal fabric softener and told me to just keep it.
--There were some important items which I neglected to pack because my trip was originally only supposed to be 10 days and I decided to stay for much longer; the hostel allowed me to have them shipped there so I would not have to deal with the bureaucracy of a Post Office in a foreign country.

I could go on an on with things like this that these people have helped me with, but then I would have no room left for the rest of my review...
Just know this: If there is anything you need help with, don't be afraid to ask any of the staff.

Extra Benefits:
--The Washer And Dryer units are coin-operated, but I have been to other local laundromats and the Machines in the Hostel are less expensive and in better condition than any I have found outside.

--Communal Kitchen is very clean, has stove, oven, microwave, anything you can imagine. Also space to keep your own food in the fridge. Lots of pots, pans, dishware etc to share. (Just be polite and wash your own dishes, it was frustrating for me to see some rude travelers leave their dishes on the counter as if it was a restaurant, and then the staff would end up having to wash them. Please treat others the way you would want to be treated when you travel.)

Back to the review, sorry for getting off-topic a bit.....

--Breakfast: Free breakfast provided every morning, free coffee, tea, and various breakfast items.....

--Lounge/Chill Out Room/ Bar. I thought that I would have been homesick or lonely as I am here in Israel by myself. So, if you are traveling or staying alone, do not worry, because you will have ample opportunities to meet people in the common area. There is a small bar, with happy hour, various types of beer and drinks, and also delicious snacks. (I recommend the cheese pastry's for a late night snack, and the “Arak Attack” or “Masada Sunrise” if your looking for something to drink). The Hot-Cider is good if your looking for something non-alcoholic.

If your looking for someplace quiet, they have a separate Chill Out Room with a Library of books, both fiction books and travel books. Plenty of couches, tables, even some Hammocks, as well as bean-bag chairs (my favorite)..... The lobby, lounge, and rooms, are covered with charging outlets, and they have travel adapters downstairs, so do not worry about your laptop, cell-phone, or gadgets running out of battery power. Free Wi-Fi goes without saying, and its pretty high speed as well. Also, if you do not have a computer, they have computer stations along with a printer you can pay to use for a very modest price.

They have Bicycles for rent by the hour and the day, which I recommend if you are a bit familiar with Jerusalem. They also have Tours and Excursions going on almost every day of the week, but I cannot comment on those as I have been mostly traveling around with some IDF Soldiers who I met on my trip.

Truthfully, I'm not sure why they call it Abraham Hostels, it should be called Abraham's HOTEL. By far the best place I have stayed in the 3 weeks that I have been is Israel. I'm sad to be checking out soon, but I'm looking forward to coming back when I finish my 6 month program.

Room Tip: If you can ask for a room that overlooks Davidka Square. Beautiful View...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Michael M
Round Rock, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

After 3 days in Jerusalem, I wish I could've stayed longer and not because of the history and sites around the city, but just to experience all that the Abraham Hostel has to offer. Booking and checking in was easy and it was SO convenient to also be able to book great tours through the hostel. It was in a great location - 15 minute walk to Jaffa gate (where free tours meet up) and 2 minute walk from a bustling market, not to mention all of the shops along the Jaffa street. I loved meeting so many different people from around the world - Czech, South African, Brazilian, Argentinean, Germany, French, Italian, New Zealand, the list goes on! When I went on Abraham Tours, the regret I heard the most from people who were staying at a hotel was that they wished they were staying at the hostel. The events like the Pub Quiz (I won 31 shekels and a shot of arak!) or cinema night or open mic night were great! The next time I go, I'll stay a week just to experience every night's activity (wish I could've gone on the pub crawl).

The rooms were great - I stayed in a 6-bed all-girl room. First night was a little rough because one of my roommates was an old lady who went to sleep early, which made unpacking a little difficult because she was a "sensitive" sleeper. Thankfully she left the next day and the other roommates were great! You have to remember that you're sharing a room - you are going to be disturbed at odd times. If you don't want to be disturbed, then pay for a hotel. The beds were surprisingly comfy; I knocked out easily. I used the communal showers so that I could have hot water immediately; there are showers in the rooms, but you have to allow 20 minutes for the water to heat up. The free breakfast was lovely and the bar kept things alive at night.

Just staying one night in this hostel should be a to-do on everyone's list!

Room Tip: Just because there are 6 beds doesn't mean they will always be full. But please keep in mind tha...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Cervia, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

We spent 4 nights in this hostel in December and we had a great time! We found a very kind an professional staff , colorful location, basic double room but clean with private bathroom. In the hostel there is a kitchen for breakfast also and a tour operator always available to supply you with all relevant information to plan your stay in the better way. The location is good as well, very closed to the city centre and the old city. This is a good starting point for the visit of Jerusalem.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed with my friend for 3 nights. Shower room was clean. Free break first, community lunge, huge kitchen, staff was friendly. We could take a tour to the dead see. People's staying there is so nice, also friendly. We satisfied.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends