“Top team and top Hostel”

Abraham Hostel Jerusalem
Jersey, United Kingdom
“Top team and top Hostel”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Great stay in a friendly and relaxed environment. It's a newish hostel but has hit the balance of relaxed and atmosphere perfectly. Don't forget about the roof top terrace. The hostel also offer tours at a very reasonable rate, good tours with a very comical tour guide (not that he knew it :)

Room Tip: Take a tour, the tour guide cracked me up with his frank but informative view of life the universe a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Paris, France
Reviewed August 15, 2013

It's a great place to stay in. Good amenities, best price / quality ratio in jerusalem. Very good location, clean rooms and many amenities available. Roof top is a must when you want to chill out with fresh air. Will definitely go there again on our next visit in jerusalem

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed August 13, 2013

If you are looking for a place to stay in Jerusalem I highly recommend Abraham Hostel. I stayed for 8 nights.

It is quite noticeable how clean this place is. You can constantly see employees being busy with mopping the floors and cleaning all facilities.
Furthermore, at all time I had the impression I could leave my backpack safely behind. Additionaly the dorms have big lockers in which you can place all your valuables (free of charge).
The staff is well organised, helpful and super friendly creating a very comfortable atmosphere.
The tours and group activities may seem a bit pricy at first, but after doing several trips with the hostel I have to admit they were worth their money (I highly recommend the Hebron Tour and Masada Sunrise).
Moreover, the location of the hostel is perfect! You will soon appreciate how close it is to the old city (10-15min till Jaffa Gate by foot), the buzzing night life of ben yehoda street, the big market and the central bus station.
Only point of improvement could be the breakfast - you get fresh melon, cheese, jam, cereals and bread which is good but in general very basic.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2013

THE GOOD --> LOCATION. It's not so far from the City Centre and the transport connections are great! You have the bus station at 10 min walk and the tram passes just next to it. CLEAN SPACE: I stayed in a room 4-bed (mixed) and it was cleaned every day. GROCERIES: you can shop from the supermarket next to (the prices are not too different from the main chain) where the staff is super friendly or walk five minutes towards the bus station and get into the local market, which it's a great experience (including better prices!). BREAKFAST INCLUDED: I am used to stay in hostels with breakfast included and Abraham's breakfast is good. Do not expect an European style, but it's part of the experience to try their Middle East way. Also, the staff do not bother if you make a ,packed lunch' for your day. COMMON ROOM: they have a good open space for you to cook, rest, talk with other travelers or only to get out of your room.

THE NOT SO GOOD--> The in-site shower had a really old curtain and it was not clean every day. I will highly recommend to use the common showers which are clean every day and are bigger. TOUR PRICES: Their prices are too high compared if you travel by public transport. For example, they charge 180 shekels for a 1/2 tour in Bethlehem and I only spent 13!!! going by bus. I don't speak Hebrew, but everyone was helpful and you can easily go every where by public transport.

THE UGLY--> TOURS/TRAVEL INFORMATION: I was really disappointed with the attitude of the girl in the tourist information. I asked her about the timetable of the Museum and she scolded me saying that I was the 5th person asking the same question and she was surprise of how little I knew about Jerusalem. I will highly recommend to hire someone who likes his/her job & treat with people from everywhere. ACTIVITIES: Well, the hostel plans some activities with the backpackers,but I noticed a lack of enthusiasm from the staff on involving ,,not so young'' travelers/backpackers & promoting what's going on.

Room Tip: If you want to stay in a women room, YOU MUST ASK FOR IT. Also, if you are not an early bird, rooms...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Reyna G
byron33, Manager at Abraham Hostel Jerusalem, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear traveler. I am glad you've enjoyed our location and hostel atmosphere.
We've investigated the points raised in your review and would like address them:
We're very happy that you chose to go to Bethlehem on your own. We provide information on how to do this as well as many other activities at our in house Travelers Center open 7am to 9pm daily! We also offer this and other unique information in our free daily travel lectures. The tours we offer to Bethlehem are aimed at those who prefer both a guided experience with a quality local guide, as well as the ability to visit some of the important sites surrounding Bethlehem, such as the Milk Grotto and Sheppards field, which are not located within walking distance of the center of Bethlehem. They are also more suitable for those not interested in walking and negotiating the local public transport, and prefer a hostel pick up and drop off so that they can spend more of their time at the sites and not on the way to and from.

Regarding our staff member at the tours desk, I was able locate the mentioned staff member who provided you the information.
I questioned her response to your question and she clearly remembers providing an answer without any intention of disrespect.
She deeply apologizes if you were hurt in any way from her response which simply noted (mostly to herself) that several people had come with the same question over a short period of time.
This specific staff member is often praised by our guests for providing high quality personal service and information, so I trust her when she says that she didn't intent to offend.

Thanks again for choosing to stay with us and for the opportunity to clarify these points.
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I stayed at Abraham Hostel for two nights in a 6 bed female dorm and had an amazing time. The hostel is very well located, the staff is wonderful and it is perfectly clean! Me and my friend felt right at home.
Really really really recommed it!
I would go back without a doubt!

• Stayed August 2013
Tel Aviv, Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed August 5, 2013

True, that's a hostel. therefore rooms are OK, not more.
But very good staff, sharing dinners, great lounge and open areas and a very good location. if you look for a hostel experience you absolutly get it here for its best.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2013

There are some great features to this hostel; it's easily accessible from the bus station, it offers free language classes, tour bookings and entertainments (we did a pub quiz), and a luggage room.

The downsides were the extreme noise, very wobbly bunk beds, water leaking from an air-conditioner onto the floor, and no hot water on one morning.

The noise is the major problem here, and unless you are not planning any early starts, I would think carefully about staying here. On the first night we were there a band music was on, with loud music causing the floor to actually vibrate into the second floor dorms. When I went down to ask when it was going to stop I was told that it was very rare (different staff told me events like that were hosted between every two weeks, and every two months, so I'm not sure which answer is closest to the truth). We were also offered a discount, which never appeared on checking out. This noise, combined with the noise in the corridors, I think cancels out the perks of the hostel, as you're left too tired to do anything the next morning.

The second night (a week later, after travelling elsewhere), was similar. This room had a lot of noise from the street, as well as a group of guys playing music from a small speaker. I thought it was worth asking if there were any other beds we could move to, but the man at the front desk seemed to entirely not see the problem, and then tried to sell me earplugs.

I am amazed by all the positive reviews online, and even slightly suspicious. I've stayed in a lot of hostels over the years, and am normally fine with dormitories, but there really was excessive noise and low quality facilities, considering it is not that cheap a place to stay. Great choice if you are planning late nights and late starts perhaps, but not ideal for anyone with an early flight or trip planned.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank A C
byron33, General Manager at Abraham Hostel Jerusalem, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear traveler.
I thank you for the detailed review of our hostel. Your comments are highly valuable for us in our constant effort to improve our service. Being the general manager, I checked your comments personally and I have some conclusions and lessons to be made for ourselves.
I am glad you've enjoyed our tours, activities and common facilities which create the unique atmosphere here. You've also liked our prime location and easy access for buses (and the city train). This great location bring along noise from the streets in some our rooms, similar to any hostel in the middle of any major city in the world.
We do offer ear plugs for the light sleepers but they are for free, and the rooms have double glazed windows to keep the noise away.
We are proud of having a very wide range of travelers, aged 18-80. Our hostel has various events and activities, and only a small part approaches to the young "partying" traveler (though others enjoy this part as well). Big music concerts or parties occur once-twice a month and gives a chance for our guests to experience the local culture (musicians & local crowd) as part of our service - hostel guests do not purchase tickets like outsiders. We believe it's part of the hosteling experience.
I do hope you will come back to stay with us in the future here in Jerusalem.
Best regards