“Wonderful Food, Excellent Service”
Review of canela - CLOSED

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Jerusalem, Israel
“Wonderful Food, Excellent Service”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I made a dinner reservation at Canela but on this occasion it wasn't necessary. We were the only diners in the restaurant the entire time we were there, which was quite strange as the restaurant next store was full. The waitress said they had been busy at lunchtime. We assumed that diners were turned off by Canela's prices, which do range a bit high. But we were glad for the very attentive service we received.

We started with a tasty Sautéed Champignon & Portobello Mushrooms Salad served with asparagus and cherry tomato. This was accompanied by homemade bread served with three different dips = olive spread, sun-dried tomatoes, and a pink dip made from beets and mayonnaise, all of which were very good.

I had been attracted to Canela by the fact that tongue was listed as one of its main dishes in an online menu, but the menu given to us at the table was a new one. We asked the waitress and happily learned that tongue was being served as one of the day's specials. Served in a champignon mushroom sauce with a side dish of mashed tables, it was simply delicious, and quite a large portion. My wife thoroughly enjoyed her entrecote steak, which was grilled exactly as she wanted it.

We had a half bottle of wine and were pleased that cold water was served to the table without even having to ask for it. The waitress attended to us at regular intervals, and was very helpful with her suggestions.

Although a bit pricey, a fact that we knew in advance, we totally enjoyed our dinner and recommend Canela for lovers of fine dining. The restaurant is located in downtown Jerusalem, an easy walk from the biggest hotels.

• Visited August 2013

Jerusalem, Israel
“Once upon a tine...”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

It Was one of the promising restaurante in Israel
Now it is a simple old restaurant with slow service and ordinary menu
Nothing to wish for

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Baraton1
Lawrence, New York
“Best meal in Jerusalem”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

After being in Israel for almost two weeks, every meal is an experience. This has really been the best experience. The waitress was amazing, she steered us toward the best food on the menu. We had a taster main course of five meats, wow. It was amazing. The wine list has alot of boutique wineries.
This restaurant is well worth the trip. Go hungry,!

Visited May 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Great entree with bad service”
Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

Coming into the restaurant, they pretended to have lost my reservation. Over the phone, no one knows your 19. Even though I saw it on the screen. They eventually seated me and 30 seconds after the menu they aske me if I was ready to order. I barely had a chance to open it. Appetizers ranged from about 40-90 NIS. Ordered the veal carpaccio (69 NIS). Was good but small portion size. For my main I had a 300 gram steak in red wine and whiskey sauce with potatoes and vegetables. The steak wa phenomenal. Only better steak I've had in jerusalem was at Angelica. Steak was very reasonably priced at 129 shekel. There was an extensive wine list though I didn't order any. It took over 15 minutes to get the bill and we had to ask twice. There were only 2 others tables with guests. Service was efficient but very indifferent.

• Visited May 2013
jerusalem,Israel
“tired decor, tired food...”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

This place does not stand for one's expectations from a upper-scale restaurant.
The food is good but far from being outstanding: it was lukewarm and the meat was over-cooked. I found only the roasted potatoes outstandingly good! But you don't go to an expensive restaurant just to enjoy potatoes...
Service was O.K., but you have to ask for clean cutlery after the first course...
And desert was a disaster...

• Visited February 2013