“A place to remember”

Eden Jerusalem Hotel
Ranked #39 of 102 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed November 15, 2011

A week away from home, but it still it felt like we came home every time we arrived in our hotel.
The rooms were quite big and especially our bathroom was very spacious.
I loved it that our beds were cleaned every single day, my wife made use of one of the spare blankets which were provided. Nearby the hotel there was a supermarket and a restaurant where we ate 3 or 4 times!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank FransCKorpershoek

Reviewed October 30, 2011

Coming to Eden, I expected some kind of "boutique" hotel. Well, the only thing "boutique" about it is that the manager is French and, admittedly, very charming. The hotel itself, however, is a poorly-managed, badly-maintained mess of a guesthouse.

More specifically...

SERVICE:

The greatest concern in this aspect is the hotel's complete disregard for personal information security. Upon checking in, we were required to pay. After charging our credit card, the details of which were apparently stored without any encryption on the hotel's computer database, the front desk clerk handed us the receipt along with an invoice. On the invoice appeared our credit card details, unmasked and in full. We signed the invoice, which was then filed away by the clerk along with many other, similarly compromised invoice papers. The folder containing all of these highly-sensitive documents was then simply placed on a shelf. It was not even locked in a cabinet. Who is to guarantee that our credit card information will not be used for fraudulent purposes, at present or in the future? It is plainly accessible to all of the hotel's employees, as well as to any guest or passerby who would care to steal or copy it. Exposing hotel guests to financial crime in this manner is reckless and irresponsible. It is an inexcusable breach of trust, and no amount of "personal touch" can cover up for it.

A general word about the staff: Most of the time, everybody is at least pleasant and, while Line is especially friendly and helpful, it is clear who gets to keep the profits and who gets paid by the hour. Minimum wage for minimum effort, I suppose. If only their rates were minimal, too.

VALUE:

At the time of our visit, the rate was $130 per night. I had paid that much in other hotels, and got a lot more for it. When I paid much less, I still got more. I have been to $40 hostels that were of a much higher standard than this one. Eden is at best just a very simple hotel, and after having stayed there I can think of no legitimate reason for it to cost as much as it does. If you're wealthy, $130 per night might seem like nothing to you. But then, of course, if you're wealthy you will want to stay at a better hotel. I would personally consider it overpriced even if it was 50% less expensive.

SLEEP QUALITY:

There is not much noise from outside. The rooms are in close proximity to eachother, however, so the odd knocking, slamming or shouting can wake you up. But once all the other guests fall asleep (and before they wake up) you should be fine. Assuming you can get over the fact that your credit card details are now in the public domain, of course.

CLEANLINESS:

The lobby floor is cracked and appears to be stained, the lobby table cloth is smeared with food leftovers. Some of the woodwork around the doors is slightly damaged, as are the doors themselves. There are dead bugs, mostly flies, scattered around the building. The coffee station is perpetually messy. I could go on and on about the things that are either dirty or damaged.

In itself, something like a filthy tea cup isn't a big deal. But when that filthy tea cup is filled with boiling water full of residue and is wobbling on a coaster that doesn't match, atop a table that isn't steady, that's a different story. When all these minor inconveniences combine, what emerges is a general theme of carelessness.

LOCATION:

Not especially close to anything, except to the promenade which is frankly a rather minor attraction. Bus service to and from the area is far from optimal. Expect to rely on cabs or a rental, although if you choose the latter you would probably need GPS (the hotel is not easy to find).

ROOMS:

Not too huge and not too tiny, but more tiny than huge. The carpets are ugly and something other than perfectly clean. The TV is only partially functioning (some channels didn't work, problems with the remote). Amenities are very minimal, and there's a slight scent of sewage coming from the toilet. WiFi is free, but the connection is only reliable from the lobby.

RESTAURANT:

There is no restaurant, but there is breakfast. The breakfast includes processed sugary juices, processed sugary cereal, one kind of milk (3% fat only), cheese and several types of salads and dips that are either extremely oily or with mayonnaise. Except for the bread, nothing is fresh. Everything is pre-made and likely served directly from the fridge. The (canned) tuna salad with the (canned) corn and (industrial) mayo is the worst -- it's mostly brown, but not the brown you would expect. Is this Israeli breakfast? Nope. It's just cheap, crappy breakfast.

The only cooked item that I noticed was a kind of pepper salad that did not taste good at all. The sole purpose of its existence, apparently, was to upset my stomach and to invalidate Line's explanation that the lack of cooked eggs has something to do with Jewish dietary laws. The hotel does not have a kosher certificate (and to my knowledge, doesn't claim to be kosher) so it's perplexing to me that the manager would bring kashruth up as an excuse for anything. Instead of obfuscating this and other issues with nicely written responses to negative reviews, why not just solve these problems? Because seriously, Line, how hard is it to boil some damn eggs.

Room Tip: Choose a room elsewhere. And whatever you do, for the love of God, stay away from their kitchen...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Agathor
Reviewed October 12, 2011

The Eden Jerusalem provides a decent, basic hotel room with good service for an affordable price. We spent five nights there, including Yom Kippur, and found the hotel staff to be helpful and caring. Our room was fairly large, but contained only a king-size bed, a refrigerator, a television, and a dresser. The bathroom was also fairly large, although the shower stall is quite small. There are minor imperfections (some leakage from the shower, non-working remote), but it was perfectly adequate since we were out most of the time. The wi fi worked very well. Although they say there is parking, the reality is that there is only street parking if you can find it. The hotel is a good half hour walk to the Old City, but the German colony is closer. The breakfast is typically Israeli and not overly impressive. All in all, a decent, affordable place to stay while in Jerusalem.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NYOldTeacher
Reviewed October 10, 2011

I was for a week in Eden Jerusalem and spent there a great time. The team was always ready to help and give me tips about where to go and how to go there. And not only the famous spots that everyone knows but also nice places where people from Jerusalem enjoy to be. Small authentic restaurants, theaters, pubs... I've also very much enjoyed their generous and delicious breakfast and the friendly staff. I can just recommand this place very warmly.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank catherinef176
Reviewed October 9, 2011

I had to stay in Jerusalem for two days on Yom Kippur.
So I searched for the hotel near places of interest.
The room was clean, but with holes in the walls after fallen shelves. In bathroom only basic soap. No place for the computer. Most of the room was occupied by two beds. Two people hardly ever will pass.
The staircases in the corridors were broken. Lobby poor, but clean.
I know that on Yom Kippur Jewish people fast. But I didn't know that the owners can use it to cut the costs. When I asked where is the breakfast, I was ostracized even for the demand. They said that the breakfast was in the fridge. I will not describe what I found there. Thanks for the milk, anyway.
Next day when I came to breakfast I expected something looks like as normal Israeli breakfast. White cheese, yellow cheese, eggs, fresh pastry, olives, tomatoes, vegetables. Milk and honey.
No olives. No tomatoes. Even no cucumbers. No yellow cheese. I payed approximately 130 hundred dollar for a night and I've got something under any BB standard. I thought that I am blind or something and asked if there are fresh tomatoes or any other vegetables and not some sort of canned corn salad with mayonnaise. The guy on the reception said that that is all they have. No normal vegetables.
And I am not talking about the distance of 40 minutes of intense walk from the Old City.
I intend to write also to the Ministry of Tourism.
If somebody calls that hospitality, I don't know, may be this person is nice enough to pay such a sum for the night in the student hostel in Russia of 80-ties.

Room Tip: Never go to this hotel before refurbishing. Don't book a room with breakfast. What a pity I ha...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank Stella R
EdenJerusalemHotel, Manager at Eden Jerusalem Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2011

Dear Stella,
We are deeply affected by the experience you here describe.
We are sorry that you’ve had to feel so unwelcome and truly hope that you’ll consider giving us another chance!
Let me just explain a few facts. Anyone booking at our hotel is told that we don’t cook in the hotel (for kasherut purposes), hence, you couldn’t have found cooked dishes such as eggs for your breakfast.
Second of all, all our guests, whether Israelis or from abroad were told upon reservation and reminded by numerous posters in the hotel that we would exceptionally not be serving the rich buffet breakfast that our guests have always praised, due to Kippour. All our guests acknowledged this fact.
Instead, we offered a continental breakfast with supplies in every guest’s rooms to make sure that they wouldn’t be too affected by the fast. I’m extremely surprised that you weren’t told so and will make sure that anyone responsible for this misunderstanding will be accordingly reprimanded.
Again, we’re deeply sorry that you felt this way. We can assure you that on any other regular day, all our guests enjoy a rich and fresh buffet breakfast.
Yet, thank to your review, we’ll make sure to think on how we can improve next year’s Kippour’s breakfast for our guests.
As for the 40 minutes’ walk to the Old City, this is indeed the walking distance approximate time from the Hotel. We’ve never given any contradictory information to our guests regarding this aspect, indeed we always answer to prospective guests calling or emailing us, that it will take them at least a half hour/ 40mn walk.
Sincerely apologizing for any inconvenience you might have undergone,
Best regards,
Line Djamchid, Manager

Reviewed October 4, 2011

I stayed at the Eden hotel last week, I was in Jerusalem for business I usually go to bigger hotels but this time I guess I made a little mistake trying to save a little money - it definately was not worth it.

I had to go out for dinner, the service was no service.

I had a company car but if you have no car getting aroung aint easy.

Room Tip: pay a little more it's worth it.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank adrieane d

Dear Adrieane,
We’re truly sorry that your stay didn’t match your expectations.
You were right to try saving some money staying at the Eden, and we’d love to have the opportunity again to prove it to you.
It’s true that our hotel particularly fits people that come with their private car. However, all our guests always managed with public transportation or coming/going by cab.
As for food and beverage, we always specify that we serve only breakfasts and the hotel doesn’t have its own restaurant. Despite that fact, there are different possibilities only 10 or 15 minutes walking distance from the hotel. I deeply apologize if we weren’t clear enough about all those dining options.
I’ll make sure to spread the word among my staff, so that we draw a specific attention to that point in the future.
With best regards,
Line Djamchid, Manager

Reviewed September 29, 2011

We agree with many of the previous comments regarding the staff of the hotel, they are indeed very helpful and courteous. We felt that the hotel was good value for money although we would recommend a new paint job in the rooms or at least the one we had. The hotel location is in a family neighborhood some 20-25 mins walk from the old city which for us was great. From a price point perspective we would recommend the Eden as a good no frills option.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple