“the worst experience every”

Leonardo Hotel Jerusalem
Ranked #19 of 101 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I was a guest at the Leonardo Jerusalem hotel last week and it was the worst experience in my 27 years of working in travel and the worst hotel stay of my life. The management was rude, never returned my calls and messages and did nothing to compensate me for the rental car I had was damaged by the "automatic" gate which was faulty and did thousands of dollars in damage. MOST SCARY is that the security in the hotel was extremely negligent as apparently the security cameras on the hotel parameter had been not working for weeks and therefore could not verify my damages. I would never step my foot in this hotel again and would highly suggest that a hotel which is located technically in East Jerusalem take security measures very seriously. I contacted the main management office of Fattal Hotels in Tel Aviv and never got a reply either. Bottom line I would never trust a hotel and does not have proper security or the courtesy to admit fault and not show any care or concern for its guests. Shame on you Leonardo hotel.

Room Tip: never step foot at this location you will have the most horrible experience of your life
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Aaron G

Reviewed May 17, 2012

From the Leonardo, one can walk but a short distance to many of Jerusalem's best sites. The Hotel itself offers decent value and service. Food is okay but local standards, but not according to western taste buds.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank pablored
Reviewed May 16, 2012

The reviews here were mixed, so I was pleasantly surprised by this mid-sized hotel. The location is good just north of the old city, about a 10 minute walk from the Damascus gate and Yaffo street, and a little farther to Ben-Yehuda, and a little farther to Machane Yehuda area. The immediate area doesn't have much for tourists, which keeps it quiet. The lobby and public areas such as dining room are clean, bright, and pleasant. My room on the 5th floor seemed like it had been renovated within the last year. The carpet seemed new, the TV was flat panel, there was complementary dates and 2 bottles of water, the bathroom seemed spotless, shower was good, air conditioning was strong (but without thermostat). There is also a nice pool which I didn't use. The best part of this place was the amazing breakfast which is included in the room price. The selection was huge, quality excellent, and everything was super tasty. Things were always replenished. The biggest challenge was having enough room to sample everything! It gets a little busy around 8am, so we liked to arrive at 7:15, but even with the crowds it is manageable and pretty clean.

Room Tip: I don't know how other floors are, but my 5th floor room seemed refurbished.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 16, 2012

I love this hotel, It is one of those hotels that you stay and you fill at home, the staff are excellent and very friendly, they fulfill any request that you have, the rooms are very nice and comfortable,
Food is great, lots of choices, You should see the Breakfast, I didn't know with what to start.
The location is excellent, it is in the heart of Jerusalem, you can walk to the old city with in minutes, the hotel is a walking distance to all the city sites. Very close to the light rail.

Room Tip: If you choose to take the super balcony room you will have a great view to the old city of Jerusalem
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2012

The room smelled like urine. The nasty odor was coming from the toilet. Housekeeping tried to get rid of it with different kind of sanitizers but they couldn't. Most of the rooms smelled horrible. We found big spiderwebs with huge amount of dust under the laps at each side of the bed. The safe box wasn't working. We sent a pair of jeans to the laundry service. Next day the jeans were not in the room at 9 pm as they were supposed to be. Called reception to complain. At 12 am (when we were sleeping) a man brought the jeans dirty but ironed. They tried to fooled us and they were charging us for this a lot of shekels. The service was terrible. Stay away from this hotel. Many tour companies use this hotel. Make sure not to stay here.

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank Dramercedesg
Reviewed May 12, 2012

This was by far the worst Hotel I stayed in my whole life!!!!!
I wnet to spend shabbath with my mother in the Holy city next to the old city... started ok, the hotel looked nice and the room too.
But afterward, the service is the worst! The employees think they are doing you a favor... super rude!!!!!
The shabbath dinner was super expensive (280 ILS), it was a buffet. I went after praying, at 20:30, and pretty much the food was gone, and they didn't replaced it. It was a waste of money!
The breakfast was a big deal as well, really weak.
And in the end, when I try to leave the hotel in my motorcycle, the garage didn't opened. I called to the reception more than 5 times so someone would open, no one cared... after 30 minutes, a car showed up and the garage opened. I went to ask why they didn't opened, the the most rude women I saw in my whole life said that she did open and that I was wrong! So apparently I like to be locked...

anyway... I would never, ever, recommend anyone to stay in this Hotel.

Service is everything, and apparently they haven't figured that out yet...

Room Tip: don't stay there!!!!!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Carla K
Reviewed May 9, 2012

My wife and I recently spent four days here as part of a tour of Israel. First, we stayed in two other Leonardo properties before coming to Jerusalem and I was a bit wary of what to expect since the first two were a bit below par. Not to worry. This place is great. The food was far superior to the buffets at the other Leonardos we stayed at with more selection and higher quality. The rooms were spotless and the staff helpful. I think it is about 4 blocks from the New gate which made it very easy to follow the train tracks (I would call it a streetcar) right to the old city. The walk was safe and interesting, particularly across from the walls of old Jerusalem where there are some local stores. The bar in the lobby is to the right of the entrance and was a welcome stop after spending all day at various sites. There is an ATM in the gift shop that dispenses Sheckels so make sure when you type in the amount you want you think in Sheckels and not dollars. Wifi is not free, but I remember it as reasonable since you could buy in increments if you did not want a full day. Finally, I thought the selection of jewelry was of a higher quality in the hotel gift shop than in some of the shops I stopped at in town; however, I did pay a bunch more for a silver Jerusalem Cross there than at the Franciscan gift shop in town that we visited later. BTW, if you are thinking of going to Israel I would recommend it. Security was never an issue even though all my friends said I was crazy for going. Everyone I met was friendly with only one exception. A vendor told me in no uncertain terms that he did not sell crosses since he was Muslim. Who knew?

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends