“Delicious”
Review of The Eucalyptus

The Eucalyptus
Ranked #3 of 738 Restaurants in Jerusalem
Cuisines: Middle Eastern, Israeli
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Authentic Biblical cuisine using wild herbs that celebrate innovation and ancient recipes. Located at the beginning of the New Artist Colony not far from the Old City, 5 minute walk from the Mamilla shopping corridor.
Reviewed August 20, 2014

Moshe (the chef) came out and personally greeted and explained to us the history of his restaurant. The food was delicious, the service was great, and the atmosphere was perfect! I would definitely eat here again. Highly recommended for people who are looking for a high quality meat meal.

1  Thank Jackie Z
Write a ReviewReviews (1,376)

Reviewed August 19, 2014

Having returned home last week from our 6th visit to Jerusalem since 2010, I can say without any hesitation that myself and my family had a most wonderful time. From our experience we can reassure those planning to come to Israel that there is no need to cancel or defer their visit. We arrived in on Tuesday 29 July which was reported to be the worst day yet in the current crisis, but to us as tourists we saw nothing untoward between our time of arrival on that day and our departure from Israel on 9 August. The passage through the airport after arrival was pleasant , comfortable and totally normal and the journey by road to Jerusalem was just as it was on every previous visit we have made to Israel. We visited the Old City every day and everything was good; we travelled to the Galilee region and Golan Heights and saw nothing that made us feel uneasy. We also went to Tel Aviv which was its usual vibrant self, with people lying on the beach and swimming in the sea.

I am saying all of this in the context of our visit to the Eucalyptus as we actually feel safer in Israel than in any other country because of the extreme efficiency of the security forces and phenomenal protection system operated by Israel , and I believe that as a result we could not visit a safer place. If I had for one moment thought there was any danger, I would not have put my family at risk. Israel, and in particular the Hospitality Industry, needs visitors and I am proud that we went and did not allow our decision to be swayed by the biased news reports we were hearing each day before we travelled.

We used our time to visit our favourite holy sites in Jerusalem – the Garden Tomb, Gethsemane, the Western Wall, Mount Zion and St. Peter’s, to name but a few. As we travelled to these places, we saw no unrest or hostility in any of the localities of East Jerusalem that we would have had to pass through to visit some of them. A pilgrim can feel safe in dear Jerusalem wherever they decide they want to go and I say that without hesitation.

Our visits to the Eucalyptus this year were of the usual exemplary standard that Chef Moshe Basson, the Proprietor, his son Ronny and his dedicated team of excellent staff always provide, always going out of their way to ensure we were happy and enjoying the sumptuous dishes of biblical cuisine we have come to love through our visits to the Eucalyptus. It is so nice also to see the regard Moshe has for his staff who, as I say, are so dedicated in everything they do. We tried a few different things this year and one of the highlights was the sweetbreads which were absolutely delicious. The tomato and mint suit is the best soup I have ever tasted and I always order a second bowl! The chicken maglubah is my personal favourite among the main courses but my wife, son, daughter and I all order different dishes and share around the table so each gets the taste of a variety of dishes. Each dish tasted impeccable as we knew from our previous experiences that it would. This restaurant, without any doubt whatsoever, is the very best in Jerusalem. Its location opposite Jaffa Gate and adjacent to the Artists’ Colony is ideal for savouring the night-time atmosphere of the most beautiful city in the world – Jerusalem.

1  Thank EvangelistDavid_12
Reviewed August 15, 2014

The people running this place are wonderful, and meeting them was great. The idea of the restaurant -- that they serve foods inspired by biblical references -- is pretty cool, too. I'd love to see even more on the menu, but what we had was great.

1  Thank Sari F
Reviewed August 14, 2014

Today we celebrated my son's Bar Mitzvah with a brunch at Eucalyptus Restaurant. My son is an avid cook who loves to try new dishes and techniques. We thought that it would be wonderful if the night before his Bar Mitzvah, our Rafi could cook with Chef Basson . Not only did Chef Basson graciously agree to spend time with Rafi, he taught Rafi about the importance of fresh ingredients and taught him cooking and plating techniques.

The following day at the Bar Mitzvah, Chef Basson dropped by to see Rafi again even though he had told us that he might not be able to make it. Not only did the chef attend, he interacted with our guests, showed them some of the ingredients growing in the garden they were sitting in and encouraging them to sample from his personal spice collection.

Not only was the food fantastic, but it was uniquely Middle Eastern with fresh and authentic ingredients. The facility itself with the outside garden overlooking Teddy Park was absolutely picturesque and comfortable. Our guests all took Chef Basson's business cards and our Israeli guests remarked how amazing it was that we Americans discovered this jewel of a restaurant outside the Old City and they had not known about it.

Lauren S, Nassau County, NY

1  Thank Lauren S
Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

This is absolutely the best dining experience I have had in Jerusalem and I have been to most of the kosher restaurants there. Theambience is very authentic with great music & lighting. The food is a real culinary experience. We shared 7 tasters, each one unique, interesting and delicious. It is hard to choose a main as each one is better sounding than it's predecessor but I have always been delighted with my choice (as has my husband, we switch half way through!). The desserts are given as much thought as the rest of the menu. The chef takes personal interest in each of his guests and makes sure to come to every table for a chat :). When I leave I feel as if I have just finished a yummy and creative feast. Very satisfied! This restaurant is not to be missed.

1  Thank Yal B