“Our service was so poor that it detracted from everything else.”
Review of The Eucalyptus

The Eucalyptus
Ranked #5 of 729 Restaurants in Jerusalem
Cuisines: Middle Eastern, Israeli
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Authentic Biblical cuisine using wild herbs that celebrate innovation and ancient recipes. Located at the beginning of the New Artist Colony not far from the Old City, 5 minute walk from the Mamilla shopping corridor.
Toronto, Canada
“Our service was so poor that it detracted from everything else.”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

When the food finally came, it wasn't special. It seemed like it could have been the server's first night on the job. He was unable to help with suggestions or explanations. One of the people in our party was vegetarian. The server guided her to select an eggplant dish but also brought out an eggplant dish as a starter. He was not attentive and we had to ask for things multiple times. Very disappointing.

Visited December 2013

Espoo, Finland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't miss this place!”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I have eaten in many good restaurants in Jerusalem but this was simply the best. Great atmosphere, good food and wine and very good service. The chef (and owner) Moshe Basson kept company for us, explained about the food and its ingredients. I got to make a pesto of my own out of hyssop and walnuts. Very delicious! I have posted the recipe and a review of my personal experience in my blog: http://www.sweetchili.fi/2014/01/being-spoiled-by-chef-moshe-basson.html

We ate the twelve course menu Song of songs and for me it was definitely too much although the portions weren't big. My favorite was stuffed figs. I don't eat red meat but I got vegetarian or chicken when the dish would have contained meat.

Katlav red wine that I drank was one of the best Israeli wines that I have drunk. I had never heard of that winery but there are many new boutique wineries in Israel that produce good wines so don't overlook wine if it is states Israel as the origin.

I have heard that there are very good breakfasts in the cafe upstairs (called Esperanca). I will try it on my next visit for sure.
The surroundings in this this neighborhood is nice so leave time for walking.

• Visited December 2013
Jerusalem, Israel
“disappointing and expensive”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We dined on a thurs night and many items weren't on the menu the excuse being that they only get fresh produce on a sunday- well in a country with so much fresh produce the entire week that is a weak excuse to say the least. The makluba was supposed to have chicken- one needed a magnifying glass to find it . For the price there should have been alot of chicken in it. the jerusalem sinia should have had root vegetables in it- again , found it hard to find them. The steak was good and the waitor did compensate us for our all round disappointment - a high class restaurant like this should be first class from the minute you walk in . Think twice before going or check the menu items before hand.

• Visited January 2014
New York City, New York
“Delicious and warm service!”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Overall, we had a delicious meal, the best in a weeklong trip in Israel.

Traditional middle eastern food, but done in a more sophisticated and interesting way than our other restaurants we visited. Each dish had a lot of flavor. We had the bread basket, Eggplant with Tehini appetizer, and a good entree.

Environment was nice, not too loud but bustling. Very close to Jaffa Gate. And service was very warm and nice.

• Visited December 2013
Westchester County, NY
“Lively and great food”
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

We had a great time with our family group of 15. Cous cous and chicken dishes were outstanding along with all appetizers. Great service and more reasonable prices than done other Jerusalem spots. Easy walk to jaffa gate of old city after dinner