“good but expensive”

Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Nachla'ot
Reviewed June 16, 2014

mid summer in Jerusalem and good reason made us to make a reservation at this restaurant. I knew that is related with another one very well and very good vallued spot called mahneyehuda so that was the reason to go there. reservation is a must as is quite crowdy. we have decided for starter a goose tartar for 2. was good.
then my wife have had a bar/sea bass with vegetables and a v. very good smashed potatoes. I decided for a special antricote steak, well done- I like it in this way- it comes with the best frittes I have had lately! what great and a huge portion of steak! you can have also sea food but this I decided to let it for another time
bottom line: very interesting mediteranian- french cuisine adapted to the local conditions=no sea close and so on!
the wine was good but expensive, a french 1/3 botlle 130 Shekes! ohoho! why?
ask Yayr lapid!
but for a good time is WORTH the money , the time and what comes with it!
special remarks for the service, even was full of people, was attentive good
great job

Reviewed June 13, 2014

We were there for my son's birthday 7 people a month ago. The service was very professional -which is not obvious in Israel-and friendly. The atmosphere is very 'Jerusalem style', in the positive sense. It is central, actually in the old Betzalel building of architechture and next to it.

Non kosher food of course on a Saturday...The tartare was perfect, the fois gras incredible and everything was special, delicate and just perfect.

Not cheap, I admit... we paid 1400 shekels for 7 people, incl. 2 bottles of wine. But it is worth every shekel.

Reviewed June 12, 2014

Shame the menu was almost the same, ine can really only do chicken livers once a week

Nice atmosphere and decor

Menu too similar to their other place

Wine list too

Food good, music. Not too loud, seating not too cramped.

An overall nice experience but not really worth the bill

I'd suggest a greater selkection of wine by. The glass and more israeli

Also if it is modern israeli food (I don't think so) then try be modern israeli food/dishes, not modern food in israel

Overall a nice experience but not a wow and too close to their other venue

Reviewed June 12, 2014

What a find. In a city where food comes either in massive but simple quantities or for the budget traveller here is a very, very good restaurant. So good we ate there three times in 5 nights.
The tasting menu is a highlight which provides seven courses (plus freebees) all of which are different and interesting. However we then had two meals just having normal sized portions of those we liked best from the tasting.
The staff are very helpful and friendly and, sat at the bar overlooking the kitchen, it was interesting to see the interaction between them and the chief. It was obvious they all had an interest in the quality and presentation of the food. I have no doubt this comes from both great training but also that bills came without a service charge (remember to tip).
The food is centred on modern cuisine with texture and flavour, given precedence over presentation – although every dish came as a jewel. Here I do not include the beef burger (yes they have one and no, I didn’t try it!). I am sure it would be very good.
The wine list is well worth discussing with the staff, some very good Israeli wines, much of which is not available in the UK. Garage de Papa and Clos De Gat (both red) where just fab. Also try their cocktails – the one with gin, basil and soda will go on my list of things to make.
Interestingly, there appears to be a sort of minimum meal cost in Jerusalem restaurants, so that the cost of dining here is little more than you would pay in most establishments. Believe me the additional cost is worth every shekel.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

What high hopes we had after reading all the reviews and since we had such a great meal the night before at chakra. We arrived to a lovely bustling scene only to be so disappointed by a boring yet strange menu.
No fish on the menu was the fish they were serving, everything was switched and nothing sounded at all enticing. We ordered the pappardelle with the soft boiled egg hoping or rather expecting it would be yummy.
It was a gloppy mess of over cooked pasta with an over cooked soft boiled egg. It wasn't like the egg when opened cascaded into the sauce to enrich it. It was just poorly cooked pasta with a soft boiled egg.
They might as well have been served on separate plates since one had nothing to do with the other
The carpaccio we ordered had to be sent back since the kitchen thought that sea salt wasn't a finishing ingredient but a fourth component of the dish.
The second plate that appeared was warm and mushy and it was downhill from there.
We aren't sure why anyone raves about this place but my advice is to skip it

1  Thank Helene H