“Scott of the Antarctic Theme Hotel!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Rivoli Hotel

Rivoli Hotel
Ranked #35 of 57 Jerusalem B&B and Inns
Ipswich
“Scott of the Antarctic Theme Hotel!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2011

We stayed at the Rivoi in East Jerusalmem in Mid November for a couple of nights.

First of all the good points...

Its location is great!! Right by Herods Gate by the old city you can walk out of the hotel straight in to the Old City. Its a stunning place to stay for walking around Jerusalem.

Its cheap. We got a room for £45 but due to the hotels odd exchange rate it manifested itself into £52 a night once we came to pay in sheckels. But still a good deal for a city hotel.

The guy on reception was great, and really helpful. Couldn't do enough for us but due to the amount of problems guests seem to be having he was run off his feet trying to fix things!!
Not his fault he wasnt the owner or the manager and he had just been lumbered.

The beakfast wasnt too bad for the price of the hotel and the lounge was OK with decent free wi-fi that I could also pick up in my room.

Now the bad points..

Its 2011 and I dont expect to stay in a hotel these days in a major city where the hot water only comes on between 6PM and 9PM! It was pouring down with rain, I got drenched went back to my room to have a shower around 5PM and had to sit in my room until around 630PM when eventually some luke warm water was avialable. And you have to be quick before all the other guests empty the water tank!
Also there is NO HEATING in the room. And I mean NONE. Jerusalem is freezing at night in the winter and it was probably warmer out on the street!
It is so cold (the windows are ancient) that it is impossible to sleep.
Im guessing in the summer its probably too hot as there is no air conditioning either..

If I were you I'd give this place a miss if you can get another hotel for the same price. There are loads of hotels in the same street all that look roughly the same. I'm sure one of them does have hot water and heating so i'd plump for that.

I dont really care how rubbish a hotel is if its cheap but surely in this day and age a little hot water and heating wouldn't go amiss..

Room Tip: Get a room at the back. Great view of an old cemetary
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank redstaruk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2011

I stayed here two nights in November. The man on receptipn was very helpful and friendly. He offered lots of useful advice about Jerusalem.

The hotel is a stones throw from the Muslim quarter of the Old City walls and is in an excellent location for exploring.

The rooms themselves were a good size but need modernising. The room had an old style CRT tv but the picture quality was fine. BBC world service was on one of the channels.

The shower / bath is very small and has a sloped shelf which makes standing in it quite tricky unless you are a contortionist. Annoyingly the shower curtain always seems to move inwards which leaves you with even less space. We were also told hot water would be available from 6 to 9 in the morning and evening but it didn't always seem to be the case.
This was very frustrating as one day we got drenched and had to wait around over an hour to have warm water. This is unacceptable in a city in this day and age.

It was quite cold at night and there was no heating even though the rooms had radiators.

Breakfast was ok; Ham, cheeses, pita breads, boiled eggs, salad, coffee, tea and orange juice etc.

There is a computer in the lounge area and wifi is available for free. Just ask for the wireless key.

If you are after a room for about 60 dollars which is clean and central and do not require warm water during the day this could be the place for you.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Oakley_Suffolk
Atlanta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2011

We generally go for budget hotels and hope to find "value". I just didn't see it here.
If you were going to give stars, I really think 3 would be too much for this place - it should be 2 1/2. Yes, there were en-suite bathrooms. However, we were told there would be hot water from 6-9 a.m. and 6-9 p.m. The reality was there was no hot water, only warm water, and I really don't like to be restricted on my bathing.
It is true that the furnishings were dated, but they were quite serviceable and that was not a problem. I wouldn't say the rooms were exceptionally clean as I found a pistachio shell when I dropped my sock by the bed, and it wasn't from us.
The shower is actually a shower&bathtub, but the tub doesn't take up the whole wall. It ends and then there is the toilet. So while the shower curtain hangs from a rod that extends the length of the wall, there is nothing to keep water in the back end of the shower, and it ends up on the toilet and floor.
There are external shutters, but a screen prevents you from accessing them, so when the wind blows they just creak back and forth.
We didn't have wi-fi in the room, but there was in the common room. The problem I found was that sometimes we didn't want to use a mobile browser. However, the one pc that they have set up was continuously monopolized by the evening reception, who seemed more interested in smoking/watching movies on the common room t.v./using the pc for YouTube, than in retrieving guests' keys or making sure THEY didn't need to get on the pc.
The reception we encountered during the day, on the other hand, was very warm and welcoming and helpful.
The breakfast was pretty standard, filling enough but rather boring.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JetSetATL
Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2011

We just came from Jerusalem. Rivoli was a very good choice for what we did. Walked to most of our destinations even to the Mehane Yehuda Market which was quite a long one. Rooms clean but beds are worn out. There are no other restaurants nearby but there are 2 coffee shops down the street. Garden Tomb and a cemetery are just behind the hotel.Good breakfast but because we were there 7 days, I was hoping they would offer something new or different every now and then.

Room Tip: No airconditioning. Rooms along the street are noisy, the rooms away from the st. quieter but none o...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank WanitaPhilippines
Barcelona, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

We decided to stay at the Rivoli because the price was so much more reasonable than most other hotels we could find in Jerusalem, or Israel more generally.
Although the room looked like it hadn't been refurbished since the 1960s it was clean and the staff were very helpful. There was no air conditioning, just a fan, but the internet connection (wifi) was excellent.
The breakfast was okay if you're happy to have have pita bread and salad for breakfast.
The location is okay but there's not many dining options in the area.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
London, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2011

This hotel is a 10 minute walk from Damascus Gate in the Moslem Quarter. The food was good and the place was clean. We and a few others had a bit of a problem with the electricity supply in our room but they did us somewhere to dry our hair. Overall the hotel staff were friendly and carried out luggage without hesitation. We weren't in the rooms during the day and so didn't matter about the basic rooms. There is a mini market across the street which is far better to buy drinks and water for your trip. The water is safe to drink in Israel so can just re-fill them with tap water. One thing though is that the drinks at meals are not includes so take money with you to pay for them (as at April 2011 a soft drink was 5 NIS and a coffee was 10 NIS.

• Stayed April 2011
3 Thank Koala3
Dublin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2010

I stayed here one night, and didn't like the place much. After checkin I was told no card payment was accepted and had to walk 300m up the road to an ATM. Then I was told my room would be ready in 15mins. I went for breakfast at 10am to be told it had finished. On the plus side the locations is pretty good (close to damascus gate of old city), the rooms while drab were ok. The wifi internet didn't seem to be working well, so I had to use static IP on my laptop to get it to work.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank quinnray

Travelers are raving about these Jerusalem hotels