“Sukkot at a great hotel”
Review of Mamilla Hotel

Mamilla Hotel
Ranked #14 of 99 Hotels in Jerusalem
Netanya, Israel
“Sukkot at a great hotel”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We spent 2 days of sukkot at the wonderful mamilla hotel. The hotel is in a great position to walk to the Kotel and the other hotels. The ambiance is different and exciting and the staff are very helpful and friendly. The rooms are smallish but very well equipped. The sukka was beautifully decorated and the food was excellent but also very pricy but then all the hotels charge a lot for meals at least the food here was well worth the cost. The Mamilla is not your run of the mill flashy hotel. It is quirky with modern decor, lots of great coffee table books in the lobby. Comfy seating and lovely flower arrangements. There is a wonderful restaurant on the roof level with special view of the Old City. You will not be disappointed, give it a try.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank luckyducky16
George L, Guest Relations Manager at Mamilla Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear luckyducky16,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. The holiday of Sukkot is truly a unique experience in Jerusalem. We are very pleased to read that you loved the Sukka, the decorations and the food. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Bari
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Perfect hotel with extraordinary breakfast, located few minutes walking from the Jaffa entrance of the old city. The aspect of the hotel is minimal but confortable. Bathroom with shower and bathtube large and clean. The host department (concierge) was always at the service of the guests with excursions, restaurant, and so more suggestions. They made my holidays unforgettable

• Stayed March 2012
Dear Minnucio50,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. We are very excited to read that you enjoyed your time with us. Thank you for the special mention of our host team. We will be sure to share this with them. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 29, 2012

What else can you wish for, a great location, a great hotel, with great staff.
Walking distance from the Jaffa Gate and right in the centre of everything. The rooms are not huge, but they are very stylish and have some fun technical. Don't forget to visit the roof top bar. What a view! If you are visiting Jerusalem for a day or 2, this is the place to be.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Dear FlyingPlatinum,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your stay. We are very happy to read that you enjoyed your time at Mamilla hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Munich, Germany
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed at the Mamilla hotel from September 17th to September 22nd as the second leg of our honeymoon in the Middle East. I chose this hotel (as a surprise for my wife) because of an article in a French Magazine called featuring holidays in Jerusalem. For reference, the other hotels we stayed at were the Hyatt in Sharm el Sheikh (Egypt), Sea Executive resort in Tel Aviv, Moevenpick in Petra and Dead Sea (Jordan), all half the price of this hotel (ca. 400$/ night for Mamilla vs. 200-250$ for the others). I have also had extensive benchmarks from international business travels in hotels ranging from Four Seasons/ Kempinsky hotels to Hilton/Sheraton/Hyatt business hotels.
Overall assessment is below my expectations for a hotel claiming excellence but I will try and provide a balanced view:

Positives:
# The location is prime in the new Mamilla development and a short walk from the Jaffa Gate. The hotel has a Rooftop restaurant overlooking the gate and view is amazing and definitely worth a visit
# The modern design is a matter of tatste but regardless of that no one can deny it has distinctive character; the business centre with new I-Macs was also very nice.
# The breakfast is excellent, in line with expectations for a hotel claiming that standard e.g. delicious freshly baked pies, fresh and varied desserts, very good juices.
# The hotel has a useful host system; upon announcing our honeymoon stay the host organized champaign bottle to be delivered to our room which was greatly appreciated. A good start to our stay but…

Negatives
# We found the service falling well short of a hotel claiming this standard and as a result we did not feel welcomed. Generally we had the feeling that employees mostly walk around with a sense of entitlement. To illustrate:
- We had dinner at the Rooftop restaurant; I left a decent 40 shekels tip (ca 8€) written on the bill; I was first asked by a waitress why I had not left a tip and after pointing out that I had, was told quite bluntly that I should leave cash otherwise she would not get it.
- When having a swim in the relatively gloomy underground swimming pool one evening, I asked the lifeguard (whom I was clearly disturbing from reading a novel, laying on a long chair) for a towel. After my swim, ie 20 mins later, I finally received it but was told very unpleasantly that it was already lying on my chair
- On at least 2 occasions, we asked for directions and were completely misguided.
- Internet cards were apparently included in our rates but we only got them after asking for them…
There was some friendly staff too of course but in my opinion in the category the hotel claims to belong to, there were too many exceptions.
# As mentioned, the design has some very nice features. However as stated in other reviews the studio rooms are very small. As a matter of fact we got upgraded on ALL of our other stays in our honeymoon, except at Mamilla although it was by far the most expensive hotel. With two luggages in the room and despite the storage place, the basic rooms don’t leave that much space for 2 people.
# I gave the above feedback personally, verbally at check out. I also asked for a feedback form which I filled out thoroughly with the above feedback. I never received any response. Again, I would not mind if we were talking about a Ibis hotel or some other 3* hotel but I do mind when I paid our over 2000 Dollars for a stay which was supposed to be the highlight of our honeymoon.

So overall is Mamilla a nice hotel with very nice facilities and great location? Clearly yes. Does it live up to its promise of which brings world-class superior design and lifestyle hospitality, justifies the charges that ought to make you feel a ‘special guest’? In my opinion, clearly no. I rarely write hotel reviews but due to circumstances felt quite strongly about this one.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank vaughan2509
Dear vaughan2509,
Thank you for choosing Mamilla hotel for the second leg of your honeymoon trip. We appreciate that you took the time to write about your stay. We apologize that we were not able to provide the type of experience that you had expected. The issues concerning the restaurant, the pool and the WiFi have been addressed. With regards to the incorrect directions, it is important for us to provide this accurately; therefore, I would like to ask for more details so that we can correct these mistakes. We usually require a couple of days to respond to our guests' feedback. I apologize that we had not gotten back to you sooner. Thank you for providing a balanced assessment of your stay. We review both the positives and the negatives in order to improve ourselves. We hope that you will reconsider to visit our hotel again in the future so that we provide you with a much better experience.
Los Angeles
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We had two connecting rooms for three people. It is a beautiful hotel and is in a fabulous location. However, the hotel service is very slow. It took two days and several requests to get a new lightbulb in one of our rooms. In the room, it is a narrow passage past the closet to the bathroom, which makes it difficult when two people are dressing simultaneously. However, the actual bathroom is superb! The rooftop restaurant has a superb view! I would stay here again because of the superb location.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
George L, Guest Relations Manager at Mamilla Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear Roverette,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. We apologize that the bulb in your room was not addressed immediately. This is being addressed with our staff. Inspite of that, we are very pleased to read that you enjoyed the Rooftop, the bathroom design and the location. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

A most wonderful experience, every detail in this hotel is perfect-from the beautiful inside pool, to the outstanding prize-winning gym and spa, and above all-beautiful Italian design including bathroom surprise. Quality is the key and the excellent service is above and beyond. The food is good also.

• Stayed September 2012
geyal, E-Commerce Manager at Mamilla Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear Effi80,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience. Our goal is to provide the same type of experience to all our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I checked into the Mamilla, excited to spend the final night of a trip to Israel enveloped in the luxury and style of this beautiful hotel. How wrong I was. I left the next day vowing never to return and feeling less welcome in this place than in any hotel I have ever stayed in- across 5 continents! Rude, disinterested staff who treat you like you are an invader of their groovy domain. I was ignored every one of the four times I approached reception, waiting a minimum of ten minutes each time for my query to be addressed, despite there being at least five staff on the desk. Not one cleaner, housekeeper or employee I came across in the very long, dark hallways upstairs ever made eye contact or acknowledges you or says "Good Morning" or even "Hi" when you walk past. I was hot and tired when I arrived, and craved a cold water and a cup of tea. But no, there's no tea or coffeee making in the room! Nor a fridge. Wierd. When I rang downstairs asking where the water and kettle were, I was informed "No Madame, we don't have those things. We're a luxury hotel." Excuse me? A LUXURY hotel means you do the basics seamlessly, then add so many lovely surprises on top, that people cannot believe their luck. On top of this, I never got to see their upper cafe and restaurant deck, with apparently gorgeous views of the Old City, because it is closed, locked until 6.00pm. So no lunch with a view for me. No idea of service. Rude, disinterested staff with a lofty air of arrogance, rahter than a warm welcome and a desire to be of service. mamilla- you may look great, but you need to learn the meaning oif the word 'service.'

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Jilleroo
Dear Jilleroo,

We apologize that we were not able to provide the experience that you were looking forward to. We take your feedback seriously because it shows us where we fell short during your stay. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.