“Should provide a little more food and charge less money”
Review of 1868

Ranked #53 of 743 Restaurants in Jerusalem
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 25, 2012

When we arrived, the place was almost empty. Obviously most people would not expect a large bill, for unmentionably t i n y portions. After two courses, we came away with practically empty stomachs!

Reviewed July 17, 2012

Used to be the best meat restaurant in Jerusalem. Last time I visited it was tired. The menu was tired. The staff were stale (and, incidentally, so were the handrolls). They had cut back on the alcohol choice at the bar (they used to have such a great range of single malt whiskies and vodkas). I found the food rather dull.

Pull your socks up! You know you can do it! Until then, you get 'average' across the board.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

The service and staff here were kind and friendly. I could see they were a bit robotic in their routine because if something was slightly out of place or not eaten when they expected, they were asking why it wasn't eaten yet or that we could stop smoking to go back to eat at our table since the food was ready (all in a friendly tone).

The bread was ok. There were three types: a long thin very salty crust, olive bread (very amateur), and probably a hard roll (impossible to break or bite into). They came with three different sauces: a garlicy sauce (very good), olive oil and some kind of sweet sugary/honey (tasted ok) and some baked garlic.

We also got an "appetizer" or more like an amuse bouche which was a cucumber wrapped around I believe a carrot and probably a mushroom. It tasted like it was sitting around the kitchen a bit too long. It would've tasted better if it was crispy and cold.

We ordered a half duck and a tenderloin (medium). The half duck was cooked very well that came in a pretty small portion for a half duck. I've been at this kind of restaurant before and the portion was more like a part than half. The sauce was complementary to the duck. I am not a fan of grapefruit which was a garnish to the plate. The tenderloin we ordered was a medium but looked more like medium rare. The meat was good, but I know I've had much better. The tenderloin was claimed that it was smoked for 28 days, which you do get a strong smoky taste but nothing really more. Get the tenderloin if you like smoky meat. Comes with very VERY salty onions and spinach sides.

Wine we got was very expensive but very nutty. I cant recall the name but had "Segal's" on the cork. I enjoyed this wine because of the robust taste and smell without the strong acidity or aftertaste you can get from robust wines.

Overall, I was not so impressed with the food. It had its good parts. For the prices shown on the menu, I was expecting a lot more 'wow' while eating.

Reviewed May 5, 2012

I ate at this restuarant 18 months ago and was most underwhelmed. But went again 2 nights ago and can't stop telling people how incredibly wonderful the entire experience was. The food was extra-ordinarily wonderful (kosher or not), the service exactly what it should be in a fine-dining restaurant, the setting - just wow. The food excited the senses, the flavours were layered and rich - but not overworked. The Chef knows his ingrediants and knows what he can do to make the best of them for his patrons.
I hope they also open up a less formal garden area,
I am so excited about a truly elegant, absolutely delicious restaurant of this caliber in the country. I think that Deca is the only other kosher restaurant that compares (a fish restaurant in Tel-Aviv). I love to eat and though I have to watch my budget, this was worth every single penny and more that we paid.

2  Thank Italygardenofeden
Reviewed April 17, 2012

We ate here on a Monday evening at the end of March 2012. The service and food were excellent and it is difficult to understand how some of the previous reviews had such negative experiences. Monday evening was a fairly quiet day for the restaurant so the staff had plenty of time to talk to us. May be on a busy evening this is different? Certainly we ate very well and consider this our best meal in the two weeks we were in Israel. But - yes - it was also the most expensive meal of the holiday.

1  Thank David G