See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 31, 2009

One of Ruti Barkai's charming studios is the perfect base for exploring this fascinating city. I stayed in studio A, and it had everything I needed -- a nice, big, comfortable bed; an air conditioner (a necessity in August!); a table for writing or dining; and a kitchenette with all the basics. Free wireless Internet, too!

The two main studios (A and B) are located in an older building with a lot of character in a nice residential neighborhood not far from the Old City in one direction and excellent restaurants in the other (try Little Jerusalem at Ticho House for an elegant brunch, or the Village Green for a delicious vegetarian meal), and cafes. Each studio is light and bright with high ceilings, plenty of windows, and a private bathroom with shower. I felt at home immediately. Ruti helpfully provided a map and directions to the nearby bus stops and markets, which made my 8-day stay on my own completely comfortable and convenient. I would stay at Barkai Studios again in a minute and have already started recommending it to friends.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 9, 2009

We, my husband and I visited Jerusalem for one week in July and stayed by Ruti Barkai in studio G in the garden - a charming place with both the owner lady Ruti, all the olive trees around, and the birds who started to sing every morning.
It was not only a charming place, but also really practical to walk to Damaskus Gate and Jaffa Gate, to get a taxi, to buy fruit in the markets and the possibility to regard the atmosphere in the streets and surroundings.
We visited all the holy places which was an experience for life as picked up from our history book from our childhood.
We wish Ruti Barkai good luck with her guests for the future.
Eva and Stein Mathiesen

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2009

I think this is the best place from where you can start to visit Jerusalem. It is near to the New Gate and to Damascus Gate; Jaffa Gate is also nearby. just few minutes more walk.
I enjoyed to talk with Ruti and to visit her working place. The area is quite and you can feel the atmosphere of Jerusalem which is unique. I didn't want to see the city through "tourist eyes" but to blend with the people and to share their feelings. It is an experience I will never forget. Ruti is very nice and respectful of the wishes of her guests; I wanted to visit Bethlehem and she gave me the instructions how to get there. I was disappointed anyway after the visit, and she told me that she knew that, but she didn't want to stop my wish: I appreciated that. I hope to have a chance to visit Jerusalem soon and definitely I will stay at Ruti Barkai Studios.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed July 20, 2009

I had never been to Israel or Jerusalem before and after taking the Nesher Taxi as recommended by Ruti, I arrived around 2 am in the morning at the right place, thanks to the little note that I printed out and gave the driver. Ruti makes it very easy for new arrivals to find their way around town. After I slept in, the next morning, she only came over when she saw me walking around the studio and we sat down in front of a copy of the city plan that she had especially prepared and she explained to me where to shop, eat and how to get to the New Gate, which is the gate that is closest to the studio. Everything is in walking distance and easy to get to. The area in which the studios are located is quiet and nice. I had to take pictures late at night at the Wailing Wall and even though I walked home by myself in the middle of the night I never felt unsafe.

I first stayed in the Garden Studio which is great for two people with lots of light and a good size bathroom. After a couple of days in Tel Aviv I returned and moved into Studio B. As a single traveler I preferred this place since it is cozier, but still full of light and has all the necessary appliances to be self-sufficient. The bathroom in studio B is a bit small but for one person totally sufficient. Ruti has even thought of things like a blow-dryer, which is great since the electricity and plugs are different to the ones used in the US. On sunny days you can hang out in the wonderful garden with its large trees, have your breakfast there or just sit and read.

The Barkai studios are a great place to stay since Ruti makes you feel at home without being obtrusive and it is a short distance from the old city and in a safe neighborhood. I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed July 14, 2009

First things first: Ruthi is great. Hands down the best B&B owner I've stayed with - and I've stayed at numerous B&B across the world.

She is exceptionally helpful, warm and gracious. The house is situated in an old Jerusalem neighborhood (ca. 1880s) , known as Musrara, with many courtyards, flowers and wonderful architecture. My room was quite large with high ceilings (probably 14 foot); had a fully furnished kitchen with a mini fridge, dishes, cutlery, pots, etc. There is a separate entrance into the garden, which is a great place to have breakfast, downtime for reading or kicking back with a beer or a glass of wine.

There is a grocery store 2 blocks away on Neviim Street. Arab fruit vendors are located on Hwy 1, located 3 blocks from the house. A Chasidic neighborhood is located 3 blocks to the NW and the Old City's Damascus Gate is located some 4 blocks away. Numerous buses are located 2 blocks away, including the 19, which goes downtown. Fare when I was there was 5.60 NIS approx. $1.25 at a 4 NIS to $1.00 exchange rate.

Perfect location. I stayed 10 days and enjoyed myself thoroughly and would stay at the Barkai Studios again and again.

Mr. I. E. Kornfeld