New Palm Hotel & Hostel
$230
$218
Official Site
  • Breakfast included
Crowne Plaza Hotel Jerusalem(Jerusalem)(Great Value!)
$136
Agoda.com
$600
Waldorf Astoria
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsdamascus gatefruit markettoilet showerfree tea and coffeebasic hostelold citymeet new friendsholy sepulchrebed roomwest jerusalemshawarmaby footwestern wallthe central bus stationarabicearplugschurch
Reviewed July 30, 2012

this is probably a very budget solution, probably the most unexpesive, but not everybody will be able to sleep there.
the overbook everysingle day trying to get as many guests as possible, the resalt is the the make you sleep in the corridor or on the floor on crap matresses. the worst is probably the renovated part of the bilding that they call "hotel". True is renovated, but is just not human to let 8 peoble sleep in a 10 qm room WHIT NO WINDOWS, I could't breath and I went to the breakfast room, I slept there.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Mister_Alfred
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I agree with Cairst; it's a super location if you really want to participate in the life of old Jerusalem! Also, I agree with Milli: if you want better, just pay more and go some place else. Why do I say it's for the strong of heart?!!! Well, the housekeeping cannot be compared to the Ritz or your home, I like to sleep between two sheets. I like the bathroom not to smell of dirty mops. I like the garbage to be taken out occasionally (daily?) when the temperature is around 30C. Etc. and etc. Unbeknownst I had dropped some "matter" into the basket which promptly went putrid...
But...generally life has a silver lining...By the second day i was quite accustomed to the reality and didn't want to move. My animal instinct to flee had vanished.
I had arrived at 2am so not had much choice the first night; but, as I was walking from
the Jaffa Gate, hoping to come across some bed whereupon to rest my weary head, there were all these strange lights, voices and eerie music; it was the middle of june and the Jerusalem Festival of Lights was in progress in the wee hours of the black morning. No more traffic, just the fairies and whispy creatures dancing here and there.
The main feature was being played right on the Damascus Gate. From the balcony of room 6, now installed and sitting on a collapsible chair with glass of wine in hand I was transported to the land of awesome giants, unicorns and fairies. A little gnome sitting on top of the Damascus Gate was telling me the story, he was almost singing it and then all of a sudden the giant came crashing through the wall, the unicorn fled and the fairies retired to a safe place under some very poisonous mushrooms. I'm Polish so I
know my mushrooms! Those were deadly...The following night i dragged my bed to the open window of the balcony and listened to the gnome's lilting voice, it was a perfect way to be lulled to sleep. I don't think I ever got to hear the end of the story; but the music I could vaguely discern through my dreams flavoured by castles, giants and unicorns.
The church of the Holy Sepulchre is across the road and just a stone's throw inside the
Damascus Gate so if one is inclined that way, one can fall out of bed and be there for Mass at 7am. Breakfast is great and hearty! I found the boys who worked there charming and the guests very interesting, people from the surrounding countries, more so than young tourists from the west. They all had interesting stories to tell and were very friendly.
The large plaza below is like a theatrical scene of the daily life of the locals, sometimes it's just ordinary, lots of people on their way somewhere. Sometimes there are clowns, sometimes there is a fight, the army steps in and sorts everybody out; police on beautiful horses; in the evening Jewish families hurrying to the old city for their evening prayers.
The hotel offers tours to historical places south, the driver is a very quiet and wise Arab. He is wonderful! If you really want to know, I must go back to the NEW PALM HOTEL as soon as I can possibly swing it.
If you are open minded, accepting and not critical, I guarantee that you will end up loving the New Palm Hotel. One could make a really interesting movie there of all that moves!
HAPPY TRAVELS!....LIZ RAGO

Room Tip: Room 6 is the best because from the balcony you have the best view of everything that goes in and out of the Damascus Gate and of what happens in the plaza below.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I stayed here for a total of four nights (on my own in a double room) and managed to get a discount (paid 180 per night) due to this. The first night I stayed in the 'female only' dorm (I woke up to find a man in the bed underneath me however). The hostel was 50 which is incredibly cheap (especially for Jerusalem) and to be fair had it not been for me wanting my own bed and toilet I would've been better off staying in the dorm (slightly cleaner and a lot cheaper). I was never ripped off or so, I guess it depends on who you encounter.

Yes it is dirty (I doubt they change the bed linen ever and the towels smell of smoke) and my neck turned red and itchy after the first night. The breakfast is simple but filling and fresh (bread, hommous, vegetables and coffee/tea).

If you stay in a private room, make sure you have the people show you ALL the rooms as they vary greatly (but they charge the same price).

It is loud (bring earplugs), the staff shouty and rude (to each other) and very disorganised but the price is fair, breakfast is good and the location is great. If you're short of money, I'd recommend it as long as you remember you do get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Have the staff show you every single room for comparison! Some have windows, others don't but they're still the same price (also pay attention to where they window is situated to avoid noise etc).
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank unatucar
Reviewed June 24, 2012

This hostel is basic but i would say comfortable enough. Over a month the group i was with would travel back to jerusalem to stay in the new palm on 3 different occasions and each time it felt like going home! the owner was friendly and helpful. Some of the bathrooms are maybe not the nicest but there are others to choose from. Furthermore its a great location! I will be going back!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 10, 2012

Stayed here the night before my flight back home and will do it next time too! Yes it's basic - it's a 'hostel'!!! Private room with double bed, small window looking directly to the Damascus Gate and got a good night sleep before the flight. A great place for 1st and last night if you're travelling in Palestine as it gets you right where you want to be to set off on your journey! I've read a few bad reviews but if you want better then just pay more and go somewhere else - simple as that!

Room Tip: Private rooms are always best in hostels...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo