“Best French Toast ever!”
Review of Zuni

Zuni
Ranked #76 of 738 Restaurants in Jerusalem
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Down Town West Jerusalem
Reviewed October 27, 2013

When I lived in Jerusalem, I used to eat alot in this resturant - the service is always excellent, and there are some courses which keeps bringing me back. One of them is the French Toast - the best I've ever tasted, highly recommended. There are also great pasta dishes. The breakfest is not recommended - the rest of the menu contains better dishes in my opinion.
The place is opened 24/7, there's a night menu and in general - it's just a great restaurant.

1  Thank Ruth S

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Jerusalem the city of gold, milk and honey, the capital of the State of Israel is one of the most striking city in the world. Has it lost the mystic charm? I have been to this city from the days that it was divided. Yes, but never the less it has something magical. One of the most magical things is the traffic. How all those enormous tourist busses move and navigate those narrow streets,and are on time, is a mystery. Divided city? Oh boy this is the definition of divided. Hassidic Jews hate the modern Jews that go around wearing mini skirts during Sabbath, Christian monks, in the divided Church of the Holy Sepulchre, can have fist fights over removing a ladder that goes nowhere from 1850. Muslims would not let you visit Al-Aksa and Omer mosques if you are not a muslim, Armenians have to bring clergy from Armenia, why? Our Catholic brethren are busy building hotels and restaurants to spread the gospel. They all hate each other and all together the State of Israel. So don't ask about the wall and Adumim. Welcome to Jerusalem and the middle east.
In all that chaos there is ZUNI. Probably one of the best restaurants in Jerusalem. It is not easy to find. It is in a small alley. But when you go up the stairs (narrow stairs) and you go up to the second floor you enter to an oasis of calm. One of the rare places that have professional service and ask you time and again if you need anything else. The fusion food with a touch of arab, jewish,european tastes very nice (some plates have heavy garlic) and the so called steaks (thinly cut meat slices bar-b-q'ed on charcoal) is the best meat that I have tasted for a long time. Israeli wines have made huge progress. Instead of this sweet rose wines that they had, now things are very different. The Merlot is very decent and smooth. They will let you smoke in the small balcony three persons at a time. Give the wines that are served in this restaurant a chance. Prices are very reasonable and they will call you a taxi for you to return to T.A. (50 minutes) There is no far in Israel. Great.
BEWARE: In Israel there is a taxi mafia that would not put the taximeters on. Insist on the meter
or they will cheat you at least 20 to 25%. Israel tourism ministry can not solve this problem for years now and let us think that Israel is a banana republic.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Zuni was open on a Sabbath, and we decided to pop by after walking to one of the much hyped restos near by and finding it closed. Zuni was a serendipitous discover! The food was yummy, delicious salads, the waitress was very helpful with wine pairings, and we were left alone for a long, leisurely lunch to catch up with old friends. It's an unpretentious spot, with great food, and the service was impeccable.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

This restaurant looks very nice, is on an upstairs level just outside the Old City of Jerusalem, Israel. The menu and environment look very special. I wanted my last meal in Jerusalem to be special. I was unimpressed.

The place was mostly empty and I was traveling alone. After lots of hemming and hawing, they decided they had enough space for me, a solo traveller. I spent an hour there, and, when I left it was no more filled than when I started. I found it a bit noisy and unorganized.

I ordered the most expensive thing on the menu, a Sea Bream (fish) grilled fillet with Gnocchi in a tomato basil sauce. It was 115 NIS, or about $25, relatively expensive for Israel. The fish itself was good. It was served, however, with nothing else...no bread, no salad...OK. But my biggest disappointment was the sauce, which was decidedly more Chef Boyardee than gourmet.

In short, it was a decent meal just overpriced and not especially pleasant.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

We were there at night - after 11 pm, if I am not mistaken. Even so, the service was good. My suggestion is: try the steak. It's great.