“Great location,friendly staff.”

Citadel Youth Hostel
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I stayed here on the 29th of november 2012 for 4 nights in a single room.It was very small with just a small cupboard which was full of extra blankets so there was nowhere to hang or put your clothes but I wasn't expecting the Hilton hotel.The hostel was continuously being cleaned by the friendly and helpful staff.There is a fantastic view off the rooftop terrace and the islamic calls to prayer make it very atmospheric.The hostel is inside the old city walls which makes all the major historical sites easily within walking distance.My room had both types of israeli electrical wall sockets.Eating and drinking alcohol is not allowed in rooms but guess what- I did.There is a small communal kitchen where you can make your own food or drinks and a fridge freezer to store your own food.The tapwater I was told is drinkable but I still boiled mine when making tea.For travelers on a tight budget I would highly recommend this hostel.I felt totally safe in Jerusalem,day and night and would like to return one day

Room Tip: If you need phone cards to phone backhome,there is a shop round the corner from the tourist info off...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
citadelhostel, Guest Relations Manager at Citadel Youth Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

we are glade to hear you had a great time with citadel hostel and thank you very much for taking the time to place a review.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

What a great Place! We stayed 4 nights on the rooftop and when one Night it rained the Staff did rebed everyone very easily. All is very friendly and caring, the Place is absolutely clean. A little kitchen, free tea+coffee, enough individual bathrooms and a sweet little cat - what else would you want to be happy? Its cavelike features add to the exzellent atmosphere and we regret to have to leave tomorrow as we so much feel like at a Friends place.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank Penthouse_Backpacker
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Well-located hostel close to the Christian Old City of Jerusalem. Single room that I was too small. The room was located just a bed and nothing else. There were no windows and the door were very weak. Very good working wireless internet. The hotel bathrooms, showers are in such small areas that are difficult to move. Showers were destroyed and the area dirty. The kitchen was very small to accept large number of guests. All backpacks, clothes and other things were in the lobby of the hotel, because we do not fit in dormitory rooms. The front desk is friendly and helpful, but the hotel is dirty and unattractive.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank poltramp
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I loved this place and stayed here for nearly a week. Having read other reviews about this hostel I was really suprised. The staff that dealt with me were very pleasant and helpful, they even got to know me by first name - I can only think that the people may have changed? I hope not! They even joked that they could pull a person up to the roof on their winch (we got as far as the first floor window - health and safety in the UK would have a field day), they were friendly great fun!
We heard one traveller was charged quite highly and then put on the roof (which during summer is amazing as you sleep under the starts but during the rest of the year I imagine gets very cold) but other travellers seemed to love being there during our stay,
I slept in the twin room which was spotless and quiet. It was like a cave but that meant nothing but charm for me.
The location is ideal for those who want to explore the Old City - and it's close enough to the Gates to carry your luggage to a waiting taxi without dying. I would definitely go back there, I had an amazing time!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank I_am_de_La_Condamine
Reviewed October 3, 2012

This was the worst hostel my friend and me have ever stayed. We booked 2 beds in a 7 bed dorm and got a room that slept 8 - fine so far, but it was such a tiny room we could not even store our luggage there. We have been asked to put our backpacks in a common room where anyone had access to. There are lockers but you have to pay for them, they are not free, even if they advertised so at hostelworld. The room was an old cave and the air was really bad, besides, there was dust and dirt falling from the ceilings onto the beds. But the worst thing was that, after the first night, my friend woke up with lots of itchy spots on her whole body and at first, we thought they were mosquito bites, but during the day, we suspected bedbugs and when we came back to the hostel in the evening, we checked it out - we saw lots bedbugs sitting on the wall! That was really disgusting. We informed the reception, but the staff (it was the owner of the hostel) reacted very unfriendly to our complaint. He was annoyed that we haven't told him earlier (tell me, when?!) that we had bedbugs and snapped at my friend that she should stop scratching. No excuse! Obviously the problem is known, he sprayed a spray and we got another room, a female dorm sleeping 9. Still, they let people check in in our former room, regardless of the bedbugs. We talked to other guests and heard that we are not the only ones with this sort of experience. The new room was bigger, but very hot and stuffy. There was no window but a ceiling fan which scared me somehow, but gave me no relief at night. We didn't sleep well at all so we couldn't enjoy Jerusalem as we wanted to to. The bathrooms were in bad condition and very dirty aswell, some of them were also that small that we, as normal average-weighty women, had problems to move. Often, the showers were directly next to a toilet, without curtain of course, which makes the whole toilet wet. The toilets sometimes didn't flush. The kitchen and the common room were ok. The only good thing about this hostel is the location and the nice rooftop terrace, but this could not beat the overall bad condition of this hostel. I don't know why Lonely Planet recommends it.... so please, do yourself a favor and spend some more bucks and get at least a minimum standard of cleanliness and comfort. By the way, after you check in and pay for your stay, you will not get a refund, whatever the problem might be. After the bedbug attack, we decided to stay at the rooftop which is way cheaper than the dorms, but they said that we had already payed for the dorm and won't get our money back. So this hostel is not only dirty and shabby, but also the most customer-unfriendly place I've ever been to. Let me say it again: Don't stay there.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Goeiehoop
Reviewed September 28, 2012

There are more pros then cons when it comes to this hostel. Stayed on the roof top, which has some amazing views of the old city. You provided with a pillow, sleeping bag and mattress, but I suggest bringing some extra layers as it gets quite cold once the sun sets, as well as the dew factor.

Other than that, the hostel is incredibly clean, with helpful staff that more than accommodating. There are also private rooms, as well as dorm rooms. Additionally there is free wifi in the lobby, but very difficult to pick up in the higher floors.

The Hostel is located just off the main street in the Old City, so accessing other places isn't that hard at all.

You can also get free accommodation / discounted accommodation if you volunteer for an hour or two a day.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank mrkleinsmith
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I don't understand all the complaints. Everything was clean, everything was comfortable, the staff was nice. Remember, its a hostel, not a hotel. There are some low areas around-medieval man was shorter than us-so beware. My girlfriend and I stayed on the roof, nice view, but be forewarned that dew does tend to develop and it gets a little chilly. I really enjoyed my stay there and I have no complaints.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple