“In the heart”

The Jerusalem Hostel
Reviewed March 17, 2014

This place is reasonably priced, I stayed in a female dorm with bathroom and shower in the room and a bathroom in the hallway if our in room was being used. Its location is right in front of tram for 6.9 sheckles. for 1hr of travel. or 15min walk to Old Jerusalem. Its a lively location, (nice for the who are used to city life) with a couple of street musicians playing at night. Hot water, clean sheets pillow and blanket, light breakfast of bread, peanut butter, and jams and coffee, full kitchen and frige with tables to dine at. which is included in price or you can order a breakfast to be made for you the next day or the same day if what you want is on location otherwise there are restaurants that will deliver. Ask the desk in a 24 hour time frame for a sherut nesher (van to the airport) it's cost is around $30usd. They have private rooms also. Very friendly and helpful staff, Free wifi in lobby and two computers. Shops up and down street. If your renting a car you'll have to find parking blocks away. I would stay again, its not luxury with outdated furniture but in my case I spent very little time in the dorm, all the girls were very nice though. And again I must say how nice the all the staff was. In Jerusalem!! So much to see and do!!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank LauraIsraelEth

Reviewed March 12, 2014

I stayed for 3 nights at the female dorm. When you share a doorm you can't demand much of luxury I know, but saw some of the private rooms, they seemed to me basic but neat, although not sure how much for it, I think from 260 NIS.

Location is great, walking distance to the old city and plenty of transport options. It is safe, there are lots of restaurants in the area, although it can be a bit noisy as it is located in a pedestrian street with all it vibe. There is a small kitchen with basic stuff for breakfast and a roof top, this was cool!Although they could try a bit better to make this comunal areas a bit better. WI-FI only close to the stairs/reception, and there is computers available and an information self-help desk.

The two guys at the front desk were very helpful, they gave me clear instructions about the bust stations, times, recomendations and even book my taxi back to the Airport.

All and all it was good, fair enough for my budget (yaish Jerusalem is expensive!)

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I have stayed for two nights in dorm bed room, which was filthy and smelly, and have been moved out to the hotel next door for more than double the price, but the room was cleaner even though small.

The staff was very unprofessional, one advantage is the free use of the internet (they use an old newspaper as a mouse pad), the small kitchen and the terrace in the hotel.

The location is good, very near of the small restaurants and cafes and ten minutes walk from the Old City. Both hostel and hotel look good on pictures but the maintenance is very poor.

Big disappointment ...

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
jerusalemhostel, Manager at The Jerusalem Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2014

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback:)
I am sorry your stay was not as pleasant as you expected.. I invite you to another stay, which for sure will be more enjoyable..
I can assure you that our rooms & dorms are now being maintained in a better way, they have recently been painted and they are cleaned daily and more thoroughly on a regular basis.
I am sure the newspaper mousepad was only a very short temporary solution until we replaced it, it is not a regular thing here.

I hope to see you again in the future:)

Reviewed March 1, 2014

There was a street full of bars and cafes, and the hostel is in the heart of that street. If you want to go out at nights and than want to go back to your hostel easily like in 2 minutes this one is perfect. My friend and I stayed in a shared room for eight people. Lucky us there were only three include us two. There were four bunk beds and a private bathroom in the room. They give you the sheets and pillow so you need to make your bed on your own. ( its cheap so thats fair ) They don't want you to lock the door room because you are sharing a room. There are no lockers in the room; so if you are looking a place to stay just for one night, you can live with that.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your review:)
I am happy you've enjoyed the location and had a not busy night in the dorm:)
There are no lockers in the dorm, but you can always put valuable belongings at the reception's safe and we will be happy to keep it for you, free of charge.

Hope to see you again in the future! :)

Reviewed February 25, 2014

From the outside this place looks beautiful. And the best is its location. Close to the old city, inside "the place" to eat and hang out.Walking distance from Mahane Yehuda as well, a market you can't miss, and around it you will find nice and trendy places to dine. I don't think it is a cheap place for a hostel. 80 USD for a room with private bathroom in a hostel, it is not cheap to me. But seems that for Israeli standards it is... For this value they should take care of some things, like having the half blackout that was left, or having the plugs functioning, of having a shelf in the bathroom. This seems to me that they don't care. A pitty, because location is amazing, the building is beautiful, but there is kind of a lack of interest in guests. I agree with a previous review. The two guys are nice. The girls, mmm was like they were very annoyed answering some basic questions. The cleanning lady also was annoyed when I asked for an extra pillow as the one in the room was very thin, and I need another one. Got it, but without a smile, but the next day when I asked how to get to a place they recommend had a better attitude. We've never had breakfast there. Not worth it at all. They offer a discount for breakfast at the Tmol Shilshon, a beautiful place, whch is worth for breakfast, or lunch or dinner. Don't miss it!
To finish, the balance is good. We enjoyed our balcony, facing the square, it has a small table and two chairs, where once we had a nice dinner. As was the cheapest place we got, I would come back.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2014

First and foremost, their customer service is terrible, across the board. I'll only mention one anecdote, but the experience can be generalized.

When we asked to arrange a shared taxi to the airport, they said to come back at 7pm because it was Shabat. They could just write our names down, and do the call at 7pm without us coming back. But fair enough. We were back at 7pm. We had to queue for at least 45 minutes because it was finally our turn (lots of guests, only one receptionist). She flat out told us that we had to arrange that ourselves, by walking to the taxi company somewhere in Jerusalem. It was "impossible" to call them. This not only contradicts what they were saying earlier, it's also a lie, and the dumbest thing I've heard on the entire trip. I checked with the other people in the shared taxi, and they all had their hotels / hostels arrange it for them. Duh!

I can give more examples like this. Overall a very bad experience. One exception to this terrible customer service. is the blonde, young guy with a beard working there. He was actually nice and helpful. The two women that work there should not be allowed near any customer.

Our room (in Little Jerusalem) was small, the small window gave out to a central courtyard which looks like a garbage dump. The bathroom is really too small and the shower was dirty. There was a pipe coming from the ceiling that ended in our shower. Weird. Is it a shower / waste water dump?

One positive aspect: their location. Their location is amazing. So if you NEED to stay very central in Jerusalem, and you don't mind being unwanted and staying in a very small, not too clean room, this place is for you. For everyone else, I suggest you don't give them any business.

The truth of the matter is, they don't care. No need to work hard if the place is fully booked anyway. They already maximized their profits.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Hi,

Thanks for your time writing us a review:)
I am very sorry to hear about your experience and we apologize. we have a very helpful and nice new staff - except from the nice blond guy at the reception who is still with us:)

Regarding organizing the shuttle service for you: there is only one company in Jerusalem that have shuttles to the airport. Saturday is an official rest day in Israel and Jerusalem especially. On Saturdays, their office is closed during the day and opens only in the evening. We need the customer to be present while booking, because this company have different times everyday, so the customer needs to choose what time is better for him, according to what they say they have. A tip for you and other travellers - Their office is 5 minutes away from the hostel, and if you book it by yourself and arrange the picking point to be from their office it is 24 shekels cheaper than when all other hotels book it for you.

We hope to see you again in the future and offer you a nicer and different experience than what you had:)

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Had a good stay here. I was in a cute single room, which i really liked. It was good value for money. The building has a lot of character, so i liked it a lot for that reason. There's a basic breakfast included in the price. It's also in a really good location in the centre of town, near all the entertainment & easily walkable to the Old City. The ventilation(?) in the room was a bit noisy but I did seem to get used to it. Finally, there's a roof terrace to watch the people go by & keep an ear out for the Zion Square entertainment.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo