“little place”
Review of New Swedish Hostel

New Swedish Hostel
New Swedish Hostel
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Not bad for the price. My girlfriend and I chose this place because it had a cheap private room. Well, seems I had stayed there before. The bed was comfortable and everything was sufficient. I didn't think the staff was rude, just a little kooky but helpful. No big deal, in a city like Jerusalem, I typically don't hang out in the hostel much. We needed a place to sleep and it was sufficient. I had a good nights rest and that's all that mattered.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jimmySanAntonio
There are newer reviews for New Swedish Hostel

Reviewed September 3, 2012

I stayed in the New Swedish Hostel in August as a couple. The facilities are not great. I slept in the dorm room and was fairly sure that the bed linen/anything anywhere had not been washed in a while. Cleanliness is obviously not a priority. Kitchen facilities are very limited and the showers are cramped.

However, on the positive side the New Swedish Hostel is in a prime location a few minutes walk from Jaffa Gate. Once you leave the hostel you are right in the centre of the Old City and for this its location is unrivalled.

If you are not fussy about where you sleep or about hygiene and want to talk to some crazy (not always in a good way) other guests then definitely visit the Swedish Hostel. The owners once you get them talking are great. Karim (a co-owner) will give you his life story willingly.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 25, 2011

We stayed in the dorm for 2 nights while backpacking. We had spacious beds by the window so we were fine but the dorm was cramped for others who were in the bunks. I'm not very fussy at all so it did the trick for me.

The showers had hot water but they were very cramped. They are unisex and so you have to change in the actual shower cubical but there is no-where to keep clothes dry while you shower! I'm small and it was awkward so i'm not sure how blokes and taller women would find this.

Karim, on the staff, is a mine of historical information on the Israel/palestine conflict as well as on the political history of neighbouring countries. An animated guy who likes to show what he knows; just don't expect to get away in a hurry.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank UkCharley
Reviewed March 28, 2010

Stayed here twice for a total of 4 nights and had no complaints hence returning. The location is perfect, in the Old City right by Jaffa Gate. The hostel itself is a little shabby and small but you need to remember where you are. There is a small kitchen and a TV room, The showers and toilets are cramped but they work and are clean. The guys on reception were helpful, although they aren't the most animated of people, and made us feel welcome.
Two of us stayed in a triple room and we were just ok for space as we had the spare bed but three people would have been a squash. The dorm looked pretty cramped but we didn't stay in it.
Would recommend this place for a cheap sleep and I would go back; but don't book this place if you need space and luxury as you will be disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank daveh104
Reviewed March 23, 2010

This place is cheap and in a great location near Damascus Gate. The rooms are shabby and the showers/toilets cramped (if you're tall like me forget it!), but this is acceptable for the price.

However, the staff are so rude it makes your stay really unpleasant. My advice, spend a few extra pennies and get a decent hostel which polite, professional staff.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank nixxifocal
Reviewed July 9, 2009

We booked a double room via internet. When we arrived we saw the rooms and hallways were very narrow and not very clean, so we decided not to sty there. The owner started to blackmail us by saying that he was going to charge us for the whole night (I booked with my creditcard) in stead of only the booking fee. But he couldnt at the end.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SazzoAlkmaar
Reviewed April 22, 2009

Private double was 5 single bunk beds. No heating. Small toilets and showers, cramped conditions. Fairly friendly and footie on TV, which had to be switched off by 11pm. But reasonable price considering location.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple