“Hotel lost car - unapologetic”

Harmony Hotel Jerusalem - an Atlas Boutique Hotel
Ranked #13 of 98 Hotels in Jerusalem
New York, NY
“Hotel lost car - unapologetic”
Reviewed August 16, 2009

This hotel was fine until....we woke up early to leave for the Dead Sea, and the hotel (who required us to leave our keys at the front desk) lost our rental car keys! Losing our keys is an unfortunate thing, but the hotel compounded the problem by being completely unapologetic. Eventually (after a nearly 2 hour search for the keys), the hotel offered to (begrudgingly) pay for us to latch onto a bus tour of the Dead Sea. Though not our first option - we rented the car for a reason! - we were willing to do this. Then it got worse: the tour bus pulled over to a gas station about 40 minutes outside of Jerusalem and told us to get out because the hotel was bringing our car and refusing to pay for the tour! At this point we are somewhere inside the West Bank and had no idea where we are! We refused to get out, and thankfully the tour guide was nice enough to realize that she had seats on the bus for us anyway, so she let us stick around for the ride and payment was not an issue.

We have no idea what the hotel was thinking! They never once apologized. The only response we got from the manager was that "these things happen" and some mumbling that "this could happen anywhere," whatever that means.

For work and vacation, I stayed in hotels for nearly 80 days in the past year: ranging from one-star motels to five-star renowned places. I have never, ever, been treated as awful as I was by the Harmony Hotel. To lose our car keys is one thing, but (a) not accepting responsibility, (b) refusing to apologize, and (c) no mention of any reimbursment for our troubles made a bad situation simply the worst hotel experience I have ever had.

BOTTOM LINE: I would never, never recommend this hotel to anyone - the poor service was by the far I have ever experienced at any hotel anywhere in the world.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
10 Thank blurgandy
HarmonyAyala, Manager at Harmony Hotel Jerusalem - an Atlas Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2009
We appreciate your taking the time to write to us and give us feedback about your stay at the Harmony hotel.
We were extremely sorry to read your complaint and immediately realized this unfortunate event happened as a result of a big misunderstanding. We of course respect your feelings and would however like to comment on the fact that the parking garage is privately owned and not operated by our hotel.
The hotel pays the owners of the parking garage for using the parking facilities for the cars of hotel guests.
Nevertheless the hotel took full responsibility for this incident and brought the parking employee to the hotel from his home as quickly as possible. As we did not want you to loose that day we suggested that you join a guided bus tour to the Dead Sea on our account. As you gave the feeling that you were not happy with the situation and we understood that you have rented the car for a reason, we also suggested bringing the car to you wherever you were. We never refused to pay for the tour, we paid it in full ($184).
We regret that you had a difficult and unpleasant experience and we hope that we will have the opportunity to have you as our special guest in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed August 11, 2009

I recently toured Israel with two close friends. We stayed at 6 different hotels. The Harmony was by far, the best Hotel Experience on every level. The Rooms, Food, & Location couldn't be better. The wonderful Staff brings it all home. I plan to return some day & will be sure to book the Harmony.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank caseymon
ny, ny
Reviewed August 10, 2009

I stayed at the Harmony for 3+ weeks in July, and 2 weekes in January, and I miss it already. Lovely, responsive staff, great service, good food, great location, charming and understated. Definitely deserves 5*****. And the inkeeper, Ayala, is helpful, lovely, very competent, but no pushover.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Houston
Reviewed August 9, 2009

Having lived in Jerusalem 40 years ago, we knew that the location was very convenient. It is close to two main streets, Ben Yehuda and King George and at walking distance to the Old City. We were pleasantly surprised because the place is new, the room quite adequate and while it can be noisy outside, the sound insulation is perfect. The breakfast is very good, but not as extensive as the traditional Israeli ones.
The staff is helpful and they offer free WiFi. We will definitely go there for our next visit.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Bala Cynwyd, PA
Reviewed August 9, 2009

My wife and I stayed at this gem last month for a week. It is excellently located, 10 minutes' walk from the Jaffa Gate to old Jerusalem, on a small street situated in the middle of many atmospheric small walkways and alleyways filled with restaurants and shops. The room was comfortable and had all the modern conveniences, including the essential A/C system that was quite responsive. A delicious, extensive breakfast spread was included in the price of the room, as was a daily "Happy Hour" in a comfortable lounge, with complimentary wine, cheeses, fruits, cakes, etc.
Our stay was made particularly pleasant by the warm, professional, and helpful treatment we received by the desk staff, particularly Esti, Einat, and Lilach. We would return in a heartbeat. RBC

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
USA
Reviewed August 9, 2009

I love this hotel. All the staff is friendly and attentive - as the last person to check in, the reception staff called me by name before I even walked up and said, "We've been waiting for you!" The morning I was supposed to check out I needed to extend by a day but they were full. The manager offered to keep me in mind for a cancellation or find me a place in a nearby hotel. She kept in touch with me all day via cellphone to let me know the progress and wound up finding me a better room at Harmony.

It's a great cross between a B&B and a boutique hotel, with the coziness of the former and the aesthetic appeal of the latter. There's a nice lounge for guests to gather in with a complimentary happy hour and you can take a glass of wine and snacks to sit on a swing on the terrace. The free wireless is a huge plus. As a solo traveler I think friendly staff and cheerful rooms are really important and Harmony has both. As a final plus, the location is fantastic - it's a modern hotel right in the pedestrian-only district with arts, cafes, restaurants, etc.

I'm not big for reviews, but these folks really went above and beyond, it's the only place I'll stay in Jerusalem.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
RI
Reviewed August 8, 2009

A classic boutique hotel. Courteous, helpful staff that engaged you on personal level and made you feel a welcomed guest. Lovely rooms, even the housekeepers smiled and said good morning. Food delicious, fresh Israeli breakfast and an evening snack in a lovely lounge. Right in the middle of the West Jerusalem nightlife and shopping, ten minute walk to the old city.

This is an incredible alternative to a large 4 or 5 star hotel. If you need a sauna and a gym, this is not the place, and it is not a place for small children. The mood is serene, soothing, and sophisticated, not a family playground.

I'm in Israel frequently and I doubt I'll ever stay anywhere else in Jerusalem again.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends