“Excellent Location - New Hotel - Clean - But Very Small Rooms”

Harmony Hotel Jerusalem - an Atlas Boutique Hotel
Ranked #10 of 101 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed September 7, 2011

We recently spent 6 nights in Jerusalem and split the time between Harmony and the King David Hotel. We knew that the hotels would be very different but figured it would be interesting to experience a “boutique” hotel near Ben Yehuda and a “luxury” hotel near the Old City. Both had convenient locations and were excellent in many ways. I knew that these two hotels held a #1 and #2 Tripadvisor rating and was interested to see whether we agreed with their popularity. I’d recommend both properties and can see why there were so many positive reviews. At the same time, it is worth noting, there is still some room for improvement, which is the reason I didn’t give them perfect ratings.

The Harmony is a small hotel with a perfect location. You literally walk out there door and you’re in the heart of Ben Yehuda and Jaffa road, with shops, restaurants and people watching. The hotel is new, clean, and intimate. The manager is visible, which is a nice benefit. They really do want you to be happy there. Overall, the hotel was a good price performer, but again, not perfect.

In many reviews, you read the rooms are small – I knew that going in. However, what I didn’t realize is that the rooms aren’t the same size. The triple rooms have considerably more room and the bathroom is bigger. I had booked two rooms, each with two people – our friends got a triple, we got a smaller room. They did offer to move us the following day, but we were heading out for a tour and it was really not convenient. I wish they would have done it when I checked in, as requested, not a day later.

Our room had two twin beds and my daughter and I had a few pieces of luggage each. There was no room to store clothes as there is a very very small closet in the room. We literally could not have our suitcases out and walk to the bed, without climbing over the suitcase. In all fairness, the beds were very comfortable, the bathroom was brand new and the room was clean. It would have been fine for one person (still without much luggage) or two people, without much luggage. I thought about it afterwards that perhaps we should have stored the luggage downstairs and just taken out what we needed. There was a table in the room, which was nice, but again, we kept our small bags on top of it since there was no place to store luggage. Ok, maybe we had too much luggage but it just would have been nice if the room were a little bigger. There was also a hot pot to make coffee/tea and a safe in the closet-a nice touch.

It’s worth noting that I did ask hotel reservations whether there are bigger rooms, and was told all rooms are the same, which isn’t the case. Please note, the triples aren’t that much bigger – but they are reasonable in size. Our room was pretty quiet because it was on a higher floor. Our A/C didn’t work the first night but I brought it to the front desk’s attention the next day and it was fixed by the time I returned to the room.

The breakfast was pretty good. It did have a nice feel to it because the hotel was intimate but not sure I thought the food was that great, but it was fine. You could order cappuccino if you wanted but no one offered unless you saw someone else getting it. If you do ask, they will make it for you. There is a Happy Hour every day, with wine, coffee/tea and light food, and we stopped by one day but didn’t have the time to enjoy it. However, it looked very nice and other guests seem to enjoy it. Another nice touch.

On a very bright note, we did hire a private tour guide, Itzik Yanai, -- and really liked him. We spent 4 days with him touring the Northern part of the country, Jerusalem and the Dead Sea-Masada. He is in his mid 30’s, energetic, knowledgeable and very easy to be with. He’s a good driver. Sounds silly, but in Israel, where there are so many crazy drivers, we really appreciated this. I highly recommend him.

I’ve given a fair amount of thought to the rating I give Harmony because I wasn’t happy with the room. You could look at this review and think that I’m comparing it to the King David, which I’m not – I knew the two hotels were very different. I’m going to go with 4 stars since the location is perfect, the hotel is new, the front desk was quite helpful, the hotel was safe, it was quite intimate and the intent is there. I can honestly say that the location is so good, that if the rooms were a little bigger, even at a cost, I would have loved my experience at Harmony. I wanted to love Harmony – and I would have – if only there was a little more space.

Room Tip: Ask for a triple room
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Shareee
Write a ReviewReviews (2,020)

Reviewed September 6, 2011

The Harmony met our expectations. Good location, clean room, responsive staff, wi-fi, good breakfast included. We sould go back. Our local host said he did not know the hotel -- but we went anyway and glad we did.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank breeze_of_wind
Reviewed September 4, 2011

I stayed at this hotel last month, and I loved it! The family suite had 1 queen bed, and 1 king bed. The rooms were really roomy, and the staff was amazing. I was greeted with a jar of cookies and a platter of grapes on arrival. Breakfast is okay, but definetly sufficient. The bobka is amazing, and the salads are also good. They have scrambled eggs, bread, rolls, fruit, and a few other things. They also have a happy hour from 5-7 every night except Saturdays. Overall, this hotel was great. It was close to Jaffa Gate, just a 15 minute walk through the Mamilla Center. I would also reccomend Mishiko nearby on Ben Yehuda street for delicious schwarma and falafel.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank bawpotter
Reviewed August 31, 2011

My wife found this hotel on the internet and stayed there last year. She and my daughter loved it and brought us back this summer. We all thought the hotel a great find. At 50 rooms it's a small hotel.The rooms are compact but comfortable. The decor is funky. The staff are extremely helpful and the breakfast was fine. The best bit is the location. The hotel could not be better positioned for access to restaurants and the Old City. We have previously stayed at the Imbal and the Citadel. Unless you want a pool and a balcony and are prepared to pay for it we can't see the point of staying anywhere else. The Harmony is terrific value. We will definitely be back. Paul + Karen and Family

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Karen M
Reviewed August 29, 2011

"Without hesitation I recommend the Harmony Hotel in Jerusalem as the ideal to stay. The location is central, the staff very friendly and obliging, the buffet breakfasts delicious and the accommodation, whilst compact, more than adequate. During our 8-day stay we feltn like one of the family. Peter & Jan Berry, Sydney, Australia."
PS. Best wishes to you & all your staff & please compliment your Chef, Ziad, on his delicious "blinzes".
Peter & Jan Berry.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank PJB235201
Reviewed August 27, 2011

The Harmoney Hotel is a smallish, newish, nicely priced (for Central Jerusalem!) hotel. Nice, if compact, room with an excellent (not at all compact) bathroom. Friendly and helpful staff, with the added benefit of an ample breakfast buffet and a welcome happy hour on the terrace in the cool late afternoon. The location is especially convenient, only a few steps from the Ben Yehuda walking street and the new tram, and an acceptable walk to the Old City.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bobandmarieclaude
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Harmony in Jerusalem is a nice hotel to visit the city. The location is extremely good, only 10 minutes walk from the Old City and in a very nice area to enjoy good restaurants in the evening. The rooms are small but very comfortable and clean. I enjoyed very much the free happy hour light snack served on the small terrace. I suggest this hotel if you are planning to visit Jerusalem

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends