“Has kept up its standards!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Sakura - CLOSED

Sakura
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian, Israeli
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Down Town West Jerusalem
Description: Designed to suggest a typical, small-town restaurant in Japan, Sakura is believed by many to be the best Japanese restaurant in Israel, with standards that outdistance anything available in the country, and it has held this status for more the 18 years.The menu varies according to the seasonal availability of fish for sushi, flown in almost daily from around the world. Keeping to these standards Sakura is a real pearl of Japanese Gourmet.The intimate space in Sakura (cherry blossom in Japanese) features a sushi bar of uncompromising quality, along with a menu of authentic Japanese dishes, based on traditional methods.Sakura enjoys the reputation as Israel's leading Japanese restaurant, and many food critics have selected it year after year as Israel's Best Japanese Restaurant.Sakura is located in Jerusalem in a historic (Feingold's Court), build around 1898, Jerusalem, a charming, picturesque alley between Jaffa Street and the Nahalat Shiva district, which housed the first cinema theater in Jerusalem.
Jerusalem, Israel
“Has kept up its standards!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

I've been eating at Sakura for easily 18 years, or since it opened, at least. I don't actually remember when it opened, but I brought my brother-in-law there about 17 years ago, and I'd been eating there already 1 or 2 years...
I took friends there to eat before Passover, and the food was as good as it has always been.
We had sushi (spicy tuna, california roll, and yellowtail); gyoza (chicken and chives); miso soup; arusame (spelling? cold rice noodles in a sweet vinegary dressing); my guests had shrimp tempura; we also shared a veg. tempura; I also had chicken yakitori (least successful dish - the coating is too heavy, and the sauce a bit too sweet, but still a delicious dish).
Well recommended.

• Visited March 2013

Lisbon, Portugal
“Don't know why this place got such a high rating with other reviewers.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

The service was awful I went in and sat down down, had to help myself to a menu and was ignored until I went to the counter to ask for someone to take my order. Not cheap for what it was I won't be going back.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank abriwin
Mark S, Manager at Sakura, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
I am truly sorry you had a bad experience in Sakura. I would really like to know what happened the night you came. Please contact me at offersakura@gmail.com .
Sakura has been serving clients for over 20 years, it is very important for us to find out why your time with us was not as it should have been.
North Vancouver, Canada
“We are too spoiled at home....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

Finding anywhere to eat on a Friday night in Jerusalem is a challenge. With no discernable concierge at our hotel we ended up foraging around Jerusalem. We tried a couple of places, but the lines were super long. Finally, we stumbled across Sakura and they could seat us at the bar. The teens were starving, so this seemed like the best option.

We live in Vancouver and it seems like there are sushi places on every corner. We love sushi....we eat it a lot. Sushi at home is freah and generally inexpensive.

Menu items seemed expensive to us. Also, the bar area is quite tight and with 5 of us...not conducive to conversation. We had the simple rolls..California, Tuna, etc. They were good, not great, but good. The tempura was fine, but the gyoza didn't taste like any we'd had before. I think they were flabbergasted by the speed at which the teens were inhaling the rolls. The service was okay...they were busy, so it was easy to overlook the bar area. As well, I think they expected the kids to savour the food, not pounce on it.

We later read that this is the best sushi in Israel..maybe that's true as we didn't try any other places. It was expensive for sushi in compared to home, but not to other restaurants we ate in. If you are a sushi expert...you might be disappointed.

• Visited March 2013
“Unique”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

Awesome restaurant , with unique style and excellent combination of ingredients and flavors, the owner is a very nice guy and will make you feel very comfortable in the restaurant. Very recommendable.

Greetings from Mexico, Bosnia, Argentina and Ecuador!.

1 Thank arturoycarito
Florida
“Great Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

My wife and I had the pleasure of eating at Sakura recently and we are very happy that we did. The food is very good, and the service excellent. The menu is extensive, and the food prices are very reasonable for Jerusalem.

I would highly recommend this restaurant for both business and leisure travelers who want a

• Visited January 2013