“Grand view, superb staff, delicious breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Dan Gardens Haifa

Dan Gardens Haifa
Ranked #24 of 27 Hotels in Haifa
Fullerton, California
“Grand view, superb staff, delicious breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2011

The best hotel of our week-long tour. Our "superior" room with a terrific view of Haifa was spacious and cleaner than most. The bathroom was updated and clean too. Located on top of Mount Carmel, the hotel is close to a lovely shopping area with many restaurants and cafes. It's also within walking distance from the breathtaking Baha'i Gardens.
The young receptionist, Janos Kollar, was incredibly kind and competent. The buffet style breakfast was also the best we encountered in Israel. It was varied, plentiful, freshly prepared, and tasty.

Room Tip: Go for a superior room; it's worth it
  • Stayed April 2011
1 Thank Cest0vatelka

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Langhorne, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2011

The hotel is nicely located with a great view of the city
You have to walk up 35 steps to get to the entrance but it is worth it
The service is top rate and extremly friendly
Ask to meet Tzporia as she is wonderful

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank mike613
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2011

We had decided to stay at Dan Gardens because we understood we could get a room with a beautiful view of the city and harbor at a price within our budget, though we were concerned that TripAdvisor reviews were mixed.

We were pleased to not have trouble finding a street parking space within a block or so (which seems to be easier in the evening than during the day, though probably not that easy on weekends), and the stairs up to the lobby were not as daunting as we thought they might be. But they are certainly not usable by those with mobility challenges or heavy luggage.

As expected, the location is great.

However, we were very disappointed to be given a side room with no usable view of the city and harbor, despite having been promised a room when we made the reservation, and I had reconfirmed this with the hotel by phone a week earlier. When we complained, the desk clerk said this was a superior room and he didn't have anything available, and he couldn't reach the manager who had just left. After I called the travel agent and she called the desk clerk, a view room magically became available. However, the air conditioning in the new room would not go on, and the desk clerk was not very sympathetic despite the heat wave that would have made the room unbearable. (After another half hour or so, the desk clerk and I were able to get it to work by switching remote controls and changing the batteries.)

In terms of renovation, the bathroom had clearly been updated recently, though the clothes drying cord was missing. It looks like the carpet had been replaced, though it had a few stains already. There was no bedspread. The furniture looked quite dated and presumably had not been replaced when other renovation was done. There were a number of marks on the paint. Probably 2 diamonds out of 5 on the US AAA scale.

On balance, I would probably not stay there again because of the way we were treated with the reservation, combined with such issues as the air conditioner, which most likely should have been noticed by the housekeeper. They seem to rely primarily on Russian tour groups these days. If I were okay with 2 star condition in exchange for a relatively affordable rate, I would probably not let the condition alone keep me from staying there. If I did stay there, I would make sure I had a written commitment that my room would have a bay view (not just "superior").

In terms of views, the best and most usable view is from the chairs and tables on the common balcony in front of the lobby, so if you are not expecting a view room I suppose it wouldn't be terrible to not have a view and use the common balcony, though that would be a shame given how prevalent great views are in Haifa.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Marietta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2010

I have had to really narrow down my review of this establishment, because I could write forever about it.

Here are the bad points:

1. The beds are absolutely terrible. We had a "two double" room, and what we got is two beds, squeezed together, that seem smaller than a single double. It's very difficult for two adults to comfortably sleep on these two beds. While on the topic, their sheets are extremely basic and not comfortable.

2. The room is extremely small. When you travel internationally, you have large luggage, and once you place your luggage in this room, it's nearly impossible to move around without tripping over something.

3. There is no ironing board or iron in the room.

4. The bathroom. Wow. First off, the shower is a handicap shower, and has no rim around it or tub. So, when you take a shower, the water gets everywhere and does not drain well. In other words, anything on the bathroom floor will be soaked. There is a hair dryer with a 115v port for a shaver, so that's a plus. There was not much of a place to put our toiletries, they need more shelves. While the shower does have a soap dispenser, and they give you a small bar of soap, the hotel does not provide shampoo / conditioner. No big deal, as we had already anticipated this and brought our own.

5. While I don't care much for the TV, it is a flat panel. That part is good, however the channels did not match what was on the channel guide in the room. That, and half of the channels were very fuzzy / bad reception.

6. Internet. THIS IS A BIG ONE. First off, the internet the hotel offers is by a service called Smartnet (which advertises that you can use your BOINGO subscription to login) and is approximately $17 / night if you purchase the 7 day package. All of this is done through their website, and not through the hotel. In fact, the hotel staff told me "it doesn't work, so don't use it." Wow. So....that being said, I purchased a less expense Boingo subscription ($60 / month) and figured, even if it's slow, it's better than nothing. Nope. On the 3rd floor, I can't stay connected for more than a few minutes. Even then, it's unusable, as websites don't load. So I thought, maybe on the first or second floor, it's better? Nope, I tried.

I ended up using a neighbor's open wifi. This however, is a very bad option. It only worked every now and then, and even then, it was very slow. The hotel does not offer wired internet access.

7. There is no ramp to enter the hotel. So you have to carry your luggage up several flights of stairs from Yof Neffe St. to the hotel entrance. This is a big pain, and as others have said, you're on your own here. For that matter, the hotel is right on the street and does not have a parking lot. So if you rent a car, good luck, you'll be super lucky to find a space. I never see open spaces, and getting out of the taxi here is a life changing (risking) experience.

8. Hotel staff: Several of the staff members were very very nice, one lady in housekeeping who would leave a note each day is fantastic and a pleasure to speak with. The front desk had a lovely lady (Mayaan) who checked us in, and was extremely friendly each time we asked her to call a taxi. On the other hand, we found several rude employees.

9. Hotel location: The hotel isn't too far from the city center (markez) but it's far enough to notice. last time we stayed at the Dan Panorama, it was very convenient to walk out and be right there with restaurants and taxis. This hotel has no taxis in front of it typically, and only has a southwest steak place near it.

10. The elevator is a bit dated, with space for 4 people only…if you squeeze. We had to make three trips with our luggage. Not fun.

Also, the majority of the employees don't speak english except for a few words. Getting checked in at the hotel was interesting and a challenge. I realize the hotel is in a Hebrew speaking nation, however it would be nice to have a front desk staff that speaks at least enough english to be helpful. Going to the front lobby to ask for a taxi and them looking at you like your crazy, isn't helpful.

Other thoughts:

1. The view from the hotel is nice from the entrance.

2. The breakfast is so so. It's basic, and has typically only tuna as a meat. There is a single hot item, and unfortunately, if you get to breakfast past 08:00, it won't be warm, as they use Sterno cans to heat it, and once they're out, they're out for the remainder of the morning. I noticed some of the vegetables were fresh on one day, then next day, it would be what appeared to be the same bowl, and older. The cups / glass were dirty many of the mornings. Especially the juice glasses. One morning, we couldn't drink juice at all because of how nasty the cups were. And, the juice and milk got warm as breakfast went on, as they weren't in a cooled area. Be careful taking anything out of the breakfast area, we watched a family get yelled at for making a couple sandwiches. Amazing.

3. Price. Well, if the hotel was around $60 per night, I think the review wouldn't be as bad, as expectations would be much lower. I think the hotel should either fix the price point, or fix the problems.

I'm not trying to be very critical, but when you stay in a foreign country for two weeks, you expect things to work out better at this price point.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank iparham
DanHotelsIsrael, Manager at Dan Gardens Haifa, responded to this review, December 7, 2010
Thanks for taking time to post your comments regarding your stay at the Dan Gardens Haifa.
We do pay attention to all your comments and we will certainly do our best to improve.
There are also more types of rooms depend on rates given.
All information refering the hotel's location and services can be found on our website.
For some of your comments you could have had an immediate response by front desk staff.
There is an ironing board and an iron at the front desk.
There is a wireless internet service which can be used by payment through the hotel.
The hotel staff is very helpfull when guests are asking to carry their luggages up the stairs.
We once again thank you for your opinion which really counts and hope to welcome you again in the future.
The hotel Management
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2010

We were told that some of the rooms in this hotel were renovated but apparently we didn't get one of those rooms. Our room was scary! There was mold in the shower, mold on the fabric shower curtain, stains on the carpet and bedspreads, cracks in the walls. The shower head squirted water all over the bathroom floor. The guy at the desk seemed nice but we became suspicious he was lying that there were no other rooms available in the hotel when we only saw two other people in the dining room the next morning at breakfast.
It's suprising that the "Dan" chain would associate themselves with this hotel. So glad we only had 1 night booked here!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank golddaisy
DanHotelsIsrael, Manager at Dan Gardens Haifa, responded to this review, October 28, 2010
Dear valued guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comment regarding your stay at the Dan Gardens Haifa. We are however disappointed to hear that you did not find the hotel up to your expected standards. Indeed some of the hotel rooms have been refurbished and the rest are expected to undergo renovation soon.
We can promise that your comments were received and we are making a sincere effort to locate and treat any deficiencies if exist.
However, some comments are heard for the first time and we are sure that if they came to our attention during your stay, they would have get an immediate response. We can assure you with absolute certainty that none of the crew did not lie to you about the occupancy of the hotel and truly hope that you will give us the opportunity to host you again at Dan Gardens Hotel Haifa.
The Hotel Management
Rochester, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2010

This was my second stay at this hotel, and I fear it has slipped in the past three years. The hotel's best feature is its fantastic view of the harbor. If you stay, be sure to get a room with a view.

The hotel itself is well worn, and in need of renovation. The rooms are small, but not tiny, and a bit on the Spartan side. The same is true of the bathrooms. Housekeeping was inept. It is not clear our maid knew how to make a bed. The wrong size sheets were used more than once during our stay. At least the room was clean.

Breakfasts were fine. The buffet was not massive, but there are only around 32 rooms in the hotel. There was always at least one hot dish, and plenty of everything on offer. The coffee was decent. And the bread was very good.

The front desk staff was very helpful and pleasant. They attended to our every need to the best of their ability. I am sure that they will all earn promotions to larger properties.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank naphhof
London, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2010

The staff were pleasant, but rather amateur - you get the impression some of them are still learning on the job. Breakfast is generous and very fresh.

I was not impressed with the setting (up a flight of steep stairs - as indicated on their website - but no help on hand to carry one's suitcase when arriving; when I left this was only forthcoming only after the duty manager yanked a very disgruntled staff member from his lunch break).

The facilities are ok and I had one of the best rooms, with a pleasant view of Haifa bay, but the carpet was stained and the bathroom supplies were meagre to the extreme (one toilet roll, soap doubling as shampoo, a pair of towels removed once staff realised I was on my own & etc.) There is no computer for guest use, so if you don't have a laptop of your own, your stuck.

For all these reasons I felt I was ridiculously overcharged - paying for 4 stars when this was just about 3. The manager was unable to reduce the price because apparently booking.com (through whom I booked) charge them such a high commission (why this is my problem is beyond me).

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank suburbs_girl
DanHotelsIsrael, Manager at Dan Gardens Haifa, responded to this review, June 30, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your stay at the Dan Gardens Hotel, Haifa.
As you can see from the efforts we put into providing excellent cuisine, it is our aim to provide our guests with the best possible hospitality. We believe that its central location, great views, good facilities and our emphasis on providing both excellent cuisine and efficient service, all justify the hotel's ranking as a first-class hotel.
It is true that the hotel does not have a porter or a bellboy, but we always try to assist our guests in carrying their suitcases to and from their rooms.
Our guests' comments are very important to us, and your remarks will certainly be taken under consideration and discussed by our team of managers. We trust that you will give us the opportunity to host you again and allow us to redeem ourselves in your eyes.

The Hotel Management