“Lovely Haifa Hotel”

Templers Boutique Hotel
Ranked #11 of 28 Hotels in Haifa
Reviewed July 31, 2012

The Templars Boutique Hotel in the German Colony of Haifa is a beautiful hotel situated in a position that offers a glorious view of the Bahai Gardens...from the bottom looking towards the top. The view is just a step outside the front door of the hotel. The hotel room we had, offered a large room that was both comfortable and amenity convenient. The bathroom was spacious with a good shower...important after a day touring in the hot Israeli sun. The breakfast on offer with our room was sensational to say the least. The staff went out of their way to make our short stay pleasant. The only downer is that if, like us, you have a lot of luggage there are no lifts...only stairs. Having said that the staff did help with our cases. If you have a car at your disposal while staying at Templars the car park is unsecured and open at the rear of the row of buildings in which the hotel is a part. Still, a lovely establishment in which to put your head down each night.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Templers Boutique Hotel

Reviewed July 26, 2012

We took three rooms here in mid-July 2012 for one night. This is the type of hotel which one feels awkward in criticising because an effort has obviously been made to be different and trendy. It works well - on the whole. The location, in the German Colony at the foot of the Bahai complex of gardens and shrine, cannot be beaten. I broke my normal rule and pre-booked (and pre-paid in full - usually not a great idea) at a slightly discounted rate. We had the Albatross, Unicorn and Sphinx rooms, all varying in size and style, but well-appointed and interestingly designed. I got the Sphinx, and, with it, two problems that detracted from the experience. The first was that the aircon was not functioning properly. The outside temp was in the late 30s, and, while the aircon in the other two rooms functioned perfectly, the Sphinx's certainly had not been properly maintained. It is a west facing room so it was really unbearable. I contemplated leaving the hotel for the Colony Hotel down the road, but did not feel like an argument the next morning about who pays for what. The problem only arose after 11pm on the night in question and there was no one, except some kid from the restaurant downstairs, to assist. He telephoned the owner/manager who advised that since the hotel was full there was no option but to grin and bear it. I decided not to take it further (despite wondering what would happen in an emergency in the absence of someone knowlegeable at all hours) because earlier that afternoon we had parked our car on a premises next door which we believed was run by the hotel, but at 5pm was locked up, and, with it, the car which we needed that night. The owner/manager had been effective (against all odds) in finding someone to open up for us after hours. (Of course the whole problem could have been abated by someone telling guests in advnace where to park - there is a big lot behind the hotel!) I also noticed that an aircon maintenance truck arrived the next morning apparently to fix the problem. (albeit "too late", she cried.) The other problem with my room was the bed. It is a queen or perhaps even a kind, but the solid black wooden base on which it lies is has a rim of about 60cm wide, about 20cm off the floor. This made getting into and out of bed quite tiresome, and the threat of injury to ankles quite apparent. It is really quite a stupid idea and something should be done about it. The bathroom of also down a flight of slippery steps which does not aid mobility with wet feet. Other than these issues, it was fine. Breakfasts were adequate; we were not disturbed by street or restaurant noise, but be aware that the entrance to the hotel is through a kind of courtyard serving both the hotel restaurant and Fattoush, another one. Haifa is a most exciting and beautiful city; but for these retrospectively minor issues with the hotel, I would recommend it. The total price was $432, which was reasonable, I thought, all considered.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I stayed in Templar's Hotel for a week in July, - loved it! The location is great, building is old and solid, but the rooms are decorated in contemporary style with good taste. The air-conditioning is excellent, which is a must for a person with Northern roots. Rooms are very clean, and staff were respectful, helpful and responsive to my needs. The food was great! Can't stress that enough. Kudos to Templar's chef Boris! The evenings were simply magical with soft lights under the trees, beautiful colors of lanterns, great choice of music and friendly people, frequenting the restaurants around the hotel. Can't wait for the next opportunity to visit Haifa!

Room Tip: Albatross Room appears to be the largest and most comfortable. The balcony looks towards the street...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 28, 2012

It was a bit complicated making the reservation because the agent spoke Russian and Ukrainian but little English and no Hebrew. When we arrived around 6 pm , there was no one at the desk. We were shown our rooms by a waitress who didn't know where or how the air conditioning worked or other details. The rooms don't have phones. But the rooms themselves are very pleasant. There is quite a bit of street noise and cafe/bar noise from below. No elevator.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank woggles67
Reviewed June 5, 2012

My partner and I stayed in this hotel for 1 week whilst visiting friends in Haifa in May 2012. I honestly couldn't believe how great the location was, with the Baha"i Gardens located up the street, and excellent transport links to the rest of Haifa.

The room that we had was very comfortable and clean, however it was smaller than I had been expecting. As we were staying for the whole week I decided that I wouldn't upgrade, however I was disappointed that I didn't as I would have loved a jacuzzi!!! The room that we had was also located over the restaurant (Fattoush) next door; I personally like the whole hotel experience and interacting with the people that work there and other people that are staying there, and I felt that this wasn't as easy in this set up, and was infact quite impersonal.

As one of the other reviews stated, there are no elevators, but the staff will help you to carry your luggage up to your room.

The breakfast that is included in the price of the room is fantastic, and could honestly keep you going until at least lunch (if not dinner!!!) You can also get a discount on meals at Fattoush next door to the restaurant, which is well worth a viist if you stay.

In terms of the staff they were very friendly, and tried to help if you asked a question. However, I was surprised by their lack of knowledge of attractions in the area (there is Tourist information up the road, but in my experience you never normally need it as the hotel will give you nearly all the information you need). There was also an issue with the shower overflowing and flooding the bathroom, which took a few days to sort out as it appeared that information was not getting passed on, however when we insisted that someone sort it out one evening they did get the maintenance man to come out immediately.

Saying that though, we had a fantastic stay and would most likely return in the future and would recommend to friends.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay more than a couple of days I would recommend that you upgrade, as the basic...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 9, 2012

My wife and I stayed in this boutique hotel for one night in October 2011. We had a fantastic night there. The hotel is small (only three rooms) but was completely new and very well kept. The hotel is ideally situated next to the Bahai gardens and in the middle of a high-street with many restaurants and clubs to go out to.
The hotel even came with a jacuzzi, a kitchenette and very comfortable bed.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2012

Great location close to the Gardens. Very clean and newly remodeled rooms although a little on the small side.

• Stayed: March 2012