“Cozy Hotel in Great Location”

Villa Carmel Boutique Hotel
Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Haifa
Reviewed May 19, 2014

I recently traveled to Haifa on business and a colleague recommended the Villa Carmel Boutique Hotel to me. It's a tiny, 15-room, renovated building, so don't be expecting a big fancy hotel with lots of amenities. What you do get is a lot of charm, a friendly staff, and a great location from which you can walk to restaurants, bars, and parks.

Although there is no gym in the hotel, I was able to head out for a great run on the hill most mornings I was there, and there is a hot tub on the top floor, if you want to take advantage. Breakfast is included, and it's your choice of egg plus a basket of bread and a tray of delicious Mediterranean items to go with your cucumber-tomato salad.

Just so you know, all the rooms are different. I was in room 5, and it was a (what I would consider) large room with a double bed and a desk and plenty of space besides, and a balcony looking out over the restaurant's outdoor space. The bathroom itself is generous, but the shower might be viewed by some as a bit tight - even I felt slightly cramped, and I'm 5'8".

In short, not the fanciest hotel in the world by any means; the Villa Carmel feels much more like a bed&breakfast, but it was not expensive (compared to a hotel you might normally stay in for business), and it had warmth and character to make up for it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Catherine M

Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

We had a night in rm 15. Ths room is tiny. Tge smell of wetness is everywhere. So we opened the window. But there was no insect net... Abd this is spring. So our room was filled witg flying insects. The water in toilet ran without stopping, unless you remember to give it a gentle nudge. The hot water did not work - a malfunction, we were told... There was mo parking when we came. We had to park far from the hotel and carry our bags. Tgen after a rowel a parking place was found. The breakfast was boring, mundane. The choive of thibgs served was very limited. You have to choose between coffee or orange juice... The hotel takes pride in being historic and spritual. The room we had had no respect for the history of tgd place. It had a modern cold style. The bed was queen size or smaller. The shower room is so tiny, there is no place to change you cloths. There is not enough dpace to put your eazor, Tooth brushes. Not to soeak of cosmetics. You could see that no thought was invested. Spiritual ... In Hebrew we say spritual alek! Which means "wannabe".

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
VillaCarmelManagment, Manager at Villa Carmel Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2014

Good afternoon, we apreciate your stay at Villa Carmel Boutique Hotel. We were sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay with us and wanted to make some remarks about your review.
First of all it is important to mention that check in time is at 3pm and all of our guest that arrive ahead of time, can enjoy our beautiful garden at the restaurant until the room is ready.Parking is guaranteed to the guests that check in at 3pm and not 2 hours before.
Secondly the small room that you mentioned that you got,is the room that you booked in booking.com where it specifies that the standard room is indeed a small room.
And finally, you mentioned the breakfast being boring,which is something not clear to us since there isn't such thing as choosing between orange juice and coffee-both of them are offered to the guests.
Anyway we thank you for your review and we welcome you to come back in the future.
All the best,
Villa Carmel

Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

We've stayed here just 1 night while visiting north, and as other reviews sad, we've expected a 5* boutique hotel.
The Villa is very nice and the family the runs it very helpful & friendly. However, it does need a bit re-fresh and maintenance, e.g. elevator is quite old, the paint is pilling off, shower cabin liking and the shower jet in our room was broken.
We've booked through Booking.com a superior room on 2nd floor for $180. It was big and the bathroom too, but not so good value for money.
The area is quite, but restaurants & coffee shops are very near. It's much better then staying in hectic Haifa centre. Baha'i Gardens are also walking distance.

Would recommend this place as a stop while visiting north, even thought in Haifa there isn't much to see.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 7, 2013

This 1940s hotel has been restored with great attention to detail. It is on a quiet residential street, within easy walking distance of several small restaurants. You can also walk to the Bahai Gardens, which takes you through and area with more restaurants, shops and hotels.

We arrived early, and while we received a very warm welcome, we were not able to check in early. The receptionist gave us great directions to all the places we could reach on foot. Our room was a standard, room #2. It is directly behind the reception area, and very close to the restaurant. The room was a good size, and had a little seating area with a desk and a window, which allowed one of us to rest and one to work. The bathroom was quite modern and very well equipped.

We don't usually eat in hotel restaurants, having been disapapointed too many times. However, we did eat at Villa Carmel, and the food was outstanding. The patio is lovely, and since it was unseasonably warm while we were there, we enjoyed a lingering breakfast there.

Room Tip: Try to avoid room #2, or other rooms that are close to the restaurant. Its a noisy, lively place un...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 4, 2013

They've managed to screw up pretty much everything in the <12 hours that I spent there:

1) The hotel lists itself as a 5-star property with most agents. When in reality under star rating criteria it doesn't stand a chance to go over 3. The rooms are extremely small (12 sqm at most) and there are no facilities what so ever, not even a 24h front-desk. Not that I mind 3 star hotels, but this one's price matches it's 5-star disguise.

2) When I asked the reception staff about the 5-star incident they replied "We're free present ourselves as we wish", which was their overall attitude toward guests, so my second point here, is staff attitude (hotel owner in particular) is extremely disappointing.

3) They attempted to rip me off while I was checking out by charging me an extra $40 for the night. When I asked about the addition, the receptionist replied "it's the USD/ILS exchange rate", but when I asked what exchange rate she had used, I was still overcharged by $40 with her exchange rate (which was a ripoff on it's own). She ended up refunding that transaction, after which I insisted to pay in USD.

4) The location is extremely strange. Inside a residential street, with nothing around really...

My overall advice: don't even think about it.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 3, which was absolutely horrible. I don't know about the rest but I'm guess...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank k z
VillaCarmelManagment, General Manager at Villa Carmel Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Hello Sir,

First of all we were sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay at the hotel but we must point out some of the reviews you mentioned:
- the room that you stayed at was the standard room (the room that you booked through booking.com) is the smallest room that we have at the hotel.
- The reception Office at the hotel is available 24 hours a day-that is why a receptionist was waiting for you at 3 am.
- Villa Carmel is a boutique hotel-a star system is no longer used in Israel (you can check that information with the tourism office).
- VAT payment- your reservation through booking.com was made as an israeli citizen which by law in Israel has to pay VAT.If you arrive with a tourist,In order to avoid VAT payment, the reservation has to be on her name (which wasn't the case).
-Our staff is known as very friendly to her guests.
- One of the advantages of staying at Villa Carmel is the location.The hotel is located in a quiet neighborhood,5 min away from restaurants and 10 min walking distance from the bahai gardens .

Villa Carmel

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Great location, wonderful friendly staff, and a charming, offbeat antidote to the "different city, same hotel" syndrome. Definitely gives you a slice of life in the best possible way.

It had all the amenities of larger hotels (including money exchange at a good rate), a wonderful breakfast, and spa facilities (which I did not use.) No pool, if that matters to you. My wife and I had a lengthy stay and by the time we left we felt like family. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Room Tip: Get one of the rooms on an upper floor. The room we had next to the reception area (cannot say &quo...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Before arrival we had great expectations. What we found justifies a 80$ (in this case I would rate it much higher) and not 270$ per night as we paid.
The place is neglected. Where shall I start? The bathroom's mirror was dirty. Repairs that were done with different materials than the original. We didn't get a laundry bag. The breakfast was poor. No yellow cheese, or any "french" cheese. Salads looked like they are leftover from previous day. Poor selection of bread. The stuff was nice and very polite. To sum it up, a reasonable hotel for 80$ a night but not a Boutique Hotel at all.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family