“Pleasant place with great meals”
Review of Douzan

Douzan
Ranked #11 of 381 Restaurants in Haifa
Cuisines: European, Lebanese, Israeli
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Tasty food (60-105 NIS), quick service. I liked the music (imho). A good place to visit on Ben Hurion st.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

After a ridiculously long day and half of flying I arrived at the Colony hotel at about 9pm. I hadn't eaten a non-airline meal in forever. The hotel recommended I walk across the street to Douzan.

They had nice outdoor seating, and the place was hopping even after 9. Now I understand that is not at all unusual. There was plenty of variety on the menu, more than I expected for a Lebanese restaurant. Chicken strips? But, the server directed my attention to the shish kabob. It was a nice mixture of lamb and beef. Well seasoned, and skewered with giant cinnamon sticks. The kabob was served with tahini and new potatoes. Add a nice Israeli white wine and it was a delicious meal.

The only downside was that I was a single, and there were a lot of big tables. It seemed to take quite a while for me to get noticed and helped. But maybe I was just tired and in a hurry to eat.

Reviewed June 14, 2012

My wife and I had the pleasure of dining at this relatively new and trendy restaurant on Ben Gurion Ave. twice during our 11-day stay in Haifa. It’s located about halfway between the beautiful Baha’i Terraces on the slope of Mount Carmel and the port. It’s almost directly across from The Colony Hotel. We were walking along this street one evening, which is filled with restaurants and shops, looking for a place for dinner and liked the looks of the place. The young manager outside was very welcoming. They have outside seating, which is lovely, but be aware that it is not smoke-free (as was the case at most if not all places we visited in Israel). We decided to eat inside (where it is smoke-free) and were intrigued by the decor of the place. We were seated at a table in one of their several rooms and pretty much had that area to ourselves.

The menu had a limited but intriguing listing of appetizers, entrees and desserts. I had their veal slices wrapped around goat cheese and pesto in a brown sauce…which was to die for! I also had a tamarind beverage that was absolutely delicious (best cold, however, so be sure to ask for ice).

The music and surroundings are eclectic, somewhat Arab/Israeli combination, with some modern Middle Eastern music playing in the background; we liked that so much we asked for the name of the CD and have since purchased it. The desserts were out of this world! Especially the warm coconut cake...To Die For! Our second dinner visit was for my wife’s birthday. I mentioned this upon our arrival to the same manager we had met on our first visit and he saw to it that she received a special dessert and candle – on the house – along with a hand-held sparkler thingie to add to the occasion; they also played a modern Middle Eastern version of Happy Birthday over the sound system for her. Along with the great food once again, it was a very memorable evening.

We can’t recommend this place highly enough. Everyone’s experiences will vary, of course, as the reviews here show. But our experience on two separate occasions was outstanding from both a food and service standpoint. We highly recommend Douzan!

Reviewed June 2, 2012

Douzan is housed in an old German Templar building in the German Colony district between the Baha’i Gardens and the sea. It’s located in Ben Gurion Avenue, which is bumper to bumper restaurants and has a real vibe about it in the evening.
The restaurant is filled with charming old furniture, velvet cushions, and brick-a-brac such as musical instruments, clocks and coloured glass lighting - which gives the place a warm eclectic ambiance. It has an easy going, relaxed and slightly arty or alternative atmosphere.
It was highly recommended by the manager of our hotel and is apparently known for its local home-style cooking.
We ordered to share. We started with an array of delicious salads and appetizers– then came the melt-in-your-mouth grilled meats. The grilled lamb was wonderful; and don’t forget to order the tabouleh! The servings were large; the food was fresh; and the prices were reasonable.
We called in advance to book a table and, as it was very busy, we were glad we had done so.
If you are in Haifa, Douzan is definitely worth a visit!

Reviewed May 11, 2012

Wow, what a wonderful restaurant--big portions of fresh, delicious and very reasonably priced food. The Lebanon salad with the finest tomatoes and cuccumbers I have ever had and creamy feta cheese in a light but very tasty dressing is extraordinary as is the exceptional coconut cake. Douzan sits on Ben Gurion between the scalloped landscaped gardens of the Bahai Temple and the sea--what a view when sittinig outside in the patio with a 200 year old olive tree and other magnificient shrubs and flowers. The wait staff are very attentive and friendly. My husband and I highly recommend this restaurant--it is a memorable experience.