“The best falafel shop on the world!”
Review of Falafel Ha'zkenim

Falafel Ha'zkenim
Ranked #3 of 386 Restaurants in Haifa
Reviewed December 21, 2013

This place has the best falafel in the world! I say that having had falafel in jerusalem, Beirut, Cairo, and in several different cities across the US! Not only was this the Falafel I've ever had, meeting the owner of this place literally made my day and is the highlight of my trip to Israel. My wife, brother, and I arrived in Haifa on a Saturday evening and checked in to our hotel. We were hungry and decided to go on the hunt for falafel in town but we had no cash and we discovered that most places accepted cash only. We went to a handful of banks but the ATM machines were out of order and we couldn't cash. Eventually we ended up at Michele's Falafel and asked if they accepted credit cards; they said no, but directed across the street to Ha Ezkenim falafel where they had an ATM machine inside.
We walked inside only to find that their ATM machine wasn't working either. The owner heard us talking and offered us free samples of falafel fresh out of the fryer. I asked him if he knew of an ATM machine that worked and he said yes, but first he needed to feed us and then we can go get money. I insisted on getting the money first and he said: "you walked into my shop hungry and I will not send you out of here hungry! I don't care about the money! I'm in the business of helping people!"
So, he gave 3 falafel sandwiches and they were the best sandwiches we've ever had! We are average people, we've had good falafel before and we know what great falafel tastes like; this was great falafel!

We walked to the ATM that he directed us to and of course, it was out of order. We walked to 2 more ATM machines and neither worked.
At this point we were tired and just wanted to go back to our hotel room. I called the restaurant and told the owner that we'll stop by tomorrow with the Money! He sounded genuinely offended! He said that I better not show up with money at his doorstep or he'd be very upset! He said that at this point we were family and the meal he offered is was a gift!

I just want to say that in a country were customer service is at its worst, this place puts Las Vegas customer service to shame!

So, 2 lessons learned here, if you are in Haifa, make sure you have cash, and make sure you visit Ha Ezkenim Falafel! They have the best falafel and the best owner! They've been around for over 60 years now, so they must be doing something right! I can vouch for that!

2  Thank Franktanks

Reviewed November 27, 2013

The place is simple but the food is marvelous the service is very friendly and you can tast a lot of different local food

Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

The food (fallafel sandwich with homous and veg) was great with a nice staff and authentic style. I recommand it, it was very cool

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Honestly the best falafel place in Israel. The owners are extremely nice - always (never mind how busy the place is) will greet you with a hot falafel ball dipped in their heavenly tahini. The service is extremely fast (truly fast food!), and always with a smile - every time I enjoy coming there. As I can't get to the Wadi every time I crave for falafel, I usually buy several dozens of falafel balls and freeze them to heat them later in an oven (almost as good as the original but way better than other options). To sum up, if you are in Haifa and wish to have an affordable and quite healthy fast food, Falafel Ha Zkenim (Falafel of the Elderly in Hebrew) is your place.

1  Thank icey777
Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

IMO, this is the single best falafel in Israel. It's nothing fancy. If you want fancy, you'll have to sacrifice on quality. Having eaten here for 12 years, and after hundreds of visits, I can say that I have never had a negative experience with hazkenim. They are genuinely welcoming, friendly people, they don't change the food according to the latest craze (except for the new whole wheat pita), and they make amazing falafel. The balls are spicy, full of cumin, and never too oily. They also change the oil frequently. The salads are minimal, but always fresh: Tomato cucumber salad, cabbage, and pickles. And the tahini is to die for. Rich and very, very sour.
I've tried many others, but nothing else will do.