“Tapas style allowed us share many dishes, and we enjoyed them all”
Review of Aluma Bakfar

Ranked #149 of 260 Restaurants in Galilee
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We've been there one night in the middle of the week.
there was one waitress and many free tables.
With Tapas you never know how many plates to order, we ordered a few dishes, the waitress didn't push us to order more, and was very helpful recommending us to avoid some plates and take others.
the place is very nice, both inside and at the terrace (can be chilly though).
We loved all the plates we've got, and some we loved even more... including the desert.

It is nice that you can order so many different dishes, almost all dishes were perfect for sharing by two, and were different than anything we ate before.
The pricing was OK, not cheap but not overpriced as well

Definitely recommend going there

Reviewed January 19, 2013

We recently visited Aluma Bakfar restaurant during a two-day trip to the north of Israel.

Most of our party of eight ordered various tapas, while two of us specifically ordered the meat platter for us to share.

The dishes came out in various stages, and we soon realised this and asked the waiter for the meat platter to be brought out so that we would all eat together with the accompaniment of the 2003 vintage bottle of wine we had ordered and decanted.

Time marched on, and the meat platter still hadn't arrived. We again asked for the meat platter to be brought out, and were told it was coming.

This cycle continued, with two or three waiters having been asked by us, three or four times, to bring the meat platter. We were repeatedly told it was coming.

It was apparent that the communication between staff was severely lacking.

By the time the meat platter finally arrived, I was very agitated, having waited over 90 minutes. Meanwhile, the other six members of our party had already eaten their dishes.

To add insult to injury, the steak was not well done as I had ordered it; it was very rare. What I got was not what I ordered, and apart from being disappointed, I was furious with the extremely bad service.

Two or three members of our party expressed our displeasure and disappoinment to the waiters and manager. The manager's initial reaction was unapologetic, and he only offered a few free desserts. We were not impressed, and I had decided that we would not be leaving any tip at all, owing to the bad service and under-done steak.

Later the manager returned, expressed his apologies and gave us a nice bottle of wine.

While he redeemed himself on that occasion, I was extremely displeased with the service, and based on our particular experience that night, I would not recommend this restaurant or ever return there.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Alpha was the culinary genius behind Aluma, the best restaurant in northern Israel for a decade. Her latest creation, Aluma Bakfar is different but just as unique and enticing.
The food is Tapas-style, but instead of trying to imitate the original Spanish tapas dishes, it only mimes the presentation. The food is Alpha's own, and it's amazing.
Dinner is a seemingly endless stream of small, tastefully presented dishes each challenging a different part of your palate.
We especially liked the blue cheese stuffed date wrapped in bacon, and the various pinchos of lamb and shrimp. My wife swears by the eggplant 'tower' with ricotta cheese, while I sampled the chicken role stuffed with Gaude cheese and mangold leaves - sublime.
For main course, I chose the duck breast and my wife took the pumpkin ravioli. The duck was done just right, with a enticing pear-based sauce, and the ravioli was a well balanced between the tangy cheese and the pumpkin components.
We finished of with excellent coffee, and my wife caved in and sampled the boca negra, a true delight for any chocolate lover.
The restaurant is set overlooking the Jorsan valley, with outstanding view from the cliffs above. The house is rustic, with giant wooden beams 20 feet above our heads and a pleasant ambiance.
If you are looking for sophisticated dining in the eastern Galilee region, Aluma Bakfar is in our view the best by option far.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

the place is gorgeous. beautiful terrace overlooking an amazing view. nice breeze even on a very hot Israeli summer day. we were 4 adults. the place offers a tasting menu for 4 persons. bottom line is that the food was great. between us we shared 8 tapas and a big barbecue platter and all of it was very good - each and every dish was exquisite. BUT - the road to the bottom line was somewhat tedious with many pitfalls. to begin with - while offering a dinner for 4, most of the the tapas we ordered were served cut to 3. when we asked the waiter what was the philosophy behind that (testing our friendship? a testing meal rather than a tasting meal?) we got the annoying answer that "this is the size of that dish". we say - either cut it smaller to serve 4 or remove it from the menu for 4! the waiter was very slow, not much attention to the table - we had to ask for water several times, and the dirty dishes stayed long on the table. I might be petty - but a professional, expensive place like Aluma should serve a small glass of sparkling water next to the espresso (especially when asked for it) rather then bring a bottle of it and charge for that. food is fantastic, but we did not feel welcome or respected.