“Floppy Service in Eggland”
Review of Isrotel Lagoona

Isrotel Lagoona
Ranked #2 of 61 Hotels in Eilat
Reviewed December 6, 2013

In fifteen years I stayed in more than 100 hotels worldwide, mainly in the US and Europe and occasionally in Israel
My recent stay in the Lagoona Hotel saw a series of very inconsiderable service. Please do not mix smiling personnel (except few exceptions) with bad service. Politeness does not compensate for lousiness.

I stayed there, a member of a sports team.
I was tempted to join them, under the impressions of reviews written during the last 12 months, in the Tripadvisor.
Most of my pickups of hotels during the last three years counted on Tripadvisor reviews and it was always marvelous, except this time, related to the Lagoona Hotel.
I have checked and revealed that, while the typical first time hotel reviewers for many other hotels do not exceed 10% of the total reviewers, for the Lagoona hotel the percentage of first time reviewers is huge, about 45% of the total. May be this is the result of my wrong pickup this time.

General Atmosphere is good except the noisy dinning room.

In a very recent review, written by Avarham B he is telling that he did not like the typical guests of the hotel through writing” The hotel can't be responsible for what guests it has”. For myself, I liked seeing there all colors and religious, hearing mix of languishes such as Hebrew, Arabic and Russian spoken by Ukraine tourists.
I

Food and beverages

What was good for breakfast?
Eggs prepared to order and coffee were quite good

Bad for breakfast was almost all what could have made my day great: Poor selection of low cost fish: two kinds of Herring. No Mackerels. No Gravlax. No Sardines. Very standard, low cost breads and cheeses.

A delicious selection of fish could have compensated for lack of pastramis and salamis that are not served in Israel together with diary products,
A dull selection of cold juices. Neither tomato juice nor apple juice. Only two kinds called lemon and orange I have tried the lemon-tasteless with a very low content of fruit.

What was good for dinner?
Friday night-dinner was quite good, both starters and main course, except fish as main course. They served the low cost Nile Perch.
Yet, one meal does not compensate for almost all other meals for three nights in a row were bad.
One of my team members has defined it in these words:” a large variety with so little to pick up from
Too many items in the buffet dinner were very oily, too salty, too spicy, too fatty or a combination of all. I restricted myself mainly to chicken and pasta.
For fish lovers: they served mainly the low cost Hake and Nile Perch, which are eventually are not on the menu of decent fish restaurant.

Mixed salads were very rare, in the vegetable corner. I could not find there mushrooms, avocados and cherry tomatoes. Israel is blessed with a large selection of green leaves. They served solely the low cost lettuce.

Customer Service

Customer service was a via dolorosa of continues floppy service.

Hotel does not provide hairdryers in rooms, but do not tell you may get one at the front desk. I asked, upon check in for it and got one. The next day I tried to use it, first time. It was out of order; I called the front desk for replacement. They told they are our of hair dryers, they have distributed them all.
I do not understand why they provided me an out of order hair dryer, at first place. It was Thursday midday when I asked them for replacement They could easily buy on spot more

Shower has two heads that spray water, one you hold by hand and the other one is attached to the ceiling. I was stupid enough not to succeed to direct the water to flow through the upper device, so I called the front desk. She was very kind to tell me that she will ask and call back soon, but she never returned with an answer.

Another time when I called the front desk, I had to wait on line for about 3 minutes. While waiting they compelled me to hear a promotion how wonderful is the worlds of Isrotel. Is not it very inconsiderable to take advantage over a guest that is waiting on line for service?

On Friday evening I went over to the station where they serve the main cut of beef
Upon my turn, the person there made not a center cut but a side cut all fat. I asked him to change, unwillingly he took the fat slice back out of my plate and made another cut from the same side , this time 90% ugly fat and started to separate the fat from the rest. When I told him to keep it for himself, only then he changed attitude and cut a nice fat free center slice. He even did not bother to tell me that he is sorry.

Dining room there is overcrowded, very dense and very noisy. To dine on a side corner, relatively less noisy I had to zigzag carefully through a long and narrow line of tables.
On Friday evening, I was sitting in a table not in the far end, when another guest set himself in an adjacent table. Tables were so close, almost no space of living. While in motion his back were hovering over my table, luckily missing my side plate

Room:

The hotel is partially renovated: on the fifth and sixth floors. I stayed this time in a renovated room.

The room has essential amenities, such as safety box, refrigerator that were not available in the non-renovated rooms where I stayed in previous years, as well as a kettle. The carpet is free of stains, unlike the carpets in the non-renovated rooms. All this is good.

The room decoration did not appeal to me: uninviting and somewhat strange mix of colors, including among more colors golden wallpaper, to my taste, an ugly black sofa and two shy green decorative pillows.
At first sight, I had the impression that the bathroom floor is dirty but at the end of the day, it look likes it is just a low cost floor tiles.

The nicely renovated bathroom lacks any device that you can hang on your clothes while you undress.

Amazing is that even when you close the bathroom door an open gap of about 5 millimeters along the entrance to the bathroom remains uncovered with a direct look from the room unto the lavatory seat.

Location:

Although the Lagoona Hotel is not located on the seaside of the resort and has no direct access to the beach and lacks beautiful open panorama of the sea and the mountains, it is located 5 minutes walk from the beach, quite good...
The deficiencies in the Lagoona hotel are the result of its neighboring surround. Its outer southern façade turn right onto very large garbage room and noisy, 24 hours around the clock, compressors of the central air conditioning system of the Hilton Hotel.
Rooms on the east side are on the main road that serves many other hotels.

My room was open to the court -yard. In spite of that, one night, at about 2AM when I tried to open the outdoor in my room to let fresh air flowing in from the outside, the noise from the Hiltons air conditioning compressors impaired my sleeping

The inner courtyard turns mainly to the west with open views.
Professional photos that are provided by Isrotel shows the quite nice view of the Lagoona hotel swimming pool but they do not show the very large unpaved public parking lot which is located further west, as well as a line of stands of ex peddlers, as well very big promotional signs, as well as a huge promotional plasma screen. All this prevented me a real enjoyment of the surrounding.
At the end of the day: an average location in the sea-resort of Eilat.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank omegaalfaTelAviv
Marlena G, Public Relations Manager at Isrotel Lagoona, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2017

omegaalfa TelAviv shalom,
Thank you for taking the time reviewing our hotel. We make great efforts to offer our guests the best vacation experience, therefore, we were sorry to read your response.
All of your remarks will be brought to the hotel's general manager's attention.

If you wish to elaborate, please send an email to: marlenag@isrotel.co.il , and we will be happy to be at your service.

We hope to see you among our guests in the future.
Best wishes,
Marlena Ginga

There are newer reviews for Isrotel Lagoona

Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

Had three holiday nights, food fine, entertainment basic but satisfactory. Service friendly and attentive. Rooms overlooking the pool are a little noisy. The hotel can't be responsible for what guests it has. Location excellent, parking limited to neighboring hotels parking lot.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank benemanuel
Reviewed November 29, 2013

We had a good vacation at Lagoona hotel. After a helpful and dedicated Alex, managed to change our room in to a renovated one. The food was tasty and in generous ammount. The drinks were rather poor.The attendantes gave us quick, courteous and useful treatment. The lication is perfect.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ELLA S
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I have just come back from the Lagoona where I stayed with my family for 2 weeks, and this is our 4th time staying there. The food is delicious, and the staff are always so friendly and nothing is ever too much to ask them. The facilities of the hotel are great, and the atmosphere in the hotel makes it a truly wonderful hotel to stay at. The entertainment is great with activities during the day and evening entertainment every night, and the rooms are always cleaned to an exceptionally high standard. I cannot recommend this hotel enough, and look forward to another visit!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Avi186338
Hani S, Sales Manager at Isrotel Lagoona, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2013

Hello Avi186338,

Welcome back to Isrotel Lagoona! It is always wonderful to hear from our returning guests, especially when they have had such an enjoyable vacation. Thank you for your kind review and high recommendations, we look forward to welcoming you back for your fifth stay.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

We stayed in the hotel for 3 nights with 2 kids, the hotel is one of the best hotels that we stayed in, in terms of maintenance and service, the rooms are renuvated and quite big, very clean, all the staff are very friendly and helpful, the public area is large and wide.

The food, even though there is planty of it, is one of the worst that we experianced, everything is over spicy, there arent alot of vegtebales (like in other hotels in israel), some of the meet contain only fat, and i had sand at one of the dishes.

The location of the hotel is very good, the rooms with swiming pool view, have a view at the laguna and the sea, and the hotel is in the center of the shops street mall. there are rooms without sea view that have a close view to the next hotal, only 10 meter distance, so not recomended.

Room Tip: Pool view, renuvated rooms
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Hani S, Sales Manager at Isrotel Lagoona, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Dear e g,

Thank you for your review, I am pleased to read you found the professional service of our team and quality of our rooms and facilities outstanding. I am disappointed you felt letdown by the dining experience and your feedback is appreciated. I will pass this onto our Food and Beverage Management team for their review.

I do hope we are offered the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

I’ve booked this hotel as a last minute, glad I’ve not read all the negative comments before… We had a fantastic pool view. I could see a big part of the town, the mountains, and the marina, to my left the red sea. The rooms I believe were recently refurbish and they were specious (we had connecting door to the kids room) clean, massive bed, plenty of storage.
Great location, short walk to the Ice mall, beach, and shops and only10 mins taxi ride from the Airport.
The food was great with excellent selection and choices you will not leave hungry!!! Even if you are a fussy eater as my youngster is. We enjoyed the theme evening meals in particular the Moroccan night. The staffs were friendly and went the extra mile.
I’ve been in many nice hotels round Europe and the Mediterranean but this one top them all especially when food and kids concern.
Leah United Kindom

Room Tip: Try and book pool view
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Leah434
Hani S, Sales Manager at Isrotel Lagoona, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Hello Leah434,

Reading your review certainly made me smile, thank you for saying Isrotel Lagoona topped your list of hotels you have stayed in around the world! The view is certainly magnificent and really allows you to escape and relax. It is great to read you enjoyed the themed evening meals and the spacious rooms and the location further enhanced your stay.

Leah, thank you again for your review and we hope to welcome you back again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

I love the service here!!! And such a great selection of food and the staff are so helpful and kind !!!! Came here from Manchester and couldn't ask for a better stay!!!!! Beautiful rooms/ pool/ and views in the morning from the room !!!! Definatley recommend this hotel!!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank Leael T

Hello Leael T,

Best hotel you have seen – this is what we love to hear! Thank you for mentioning the exceptional service you received from our highly trained team and the recommendation to your friends and family.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.