“Great hotel but no beach”

The Orchid Hotel and Resort Eilat
Ranked #20 of 61 Hotels in Eilat
Reviewed May 20, 2013

The Orchid is as beautiful as seen on the pictures. The rooms are grouped by 3 to 6 and dispersed along the mountain. There are golf carts to carry you to your room if you feel the walk is too much. Personnally, we enjoyed it. The hotel is located right across the street from the beautiful aquarium. Unfortunately, that is a little far from the city center (about $10-$15 to get to city center by cab). There is no beach at the hotel but you can use the one from the sister hotel and there is a shuttle between the two hotels. The shuttle's schedule is highly irregular, however, and so we ended up walking both ways (7-10 minutes). The pool is beautiful and quiet. From the pool, you have a clear view to the Red Sea and it is easy to get a chair. We are usually beach people but at this hotel, we preferred the pool. There is also a Jaccuzzi by the pool. The breakfast (included) is very good and diversified : egg station, pastries and fresh-baked breads, yogourts, fruits, cereals, juices, cappuccino, etc. Around 4 or 5 PM everyday, they serve tea, coffee and cake in the lounge, close to the pool. It's free and quite good.

Room Tip: Rooms higher up on the mountain will have a better seaview.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Curieuse12
lauren z, Manager at The Orchid Hotel and Resort Eilat, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay at Orchid Eilat and for taking the time to share your feedback. We are dedicated to provide a high level of service and standards as in all of Orchid Hotels. I am happy to know that you had a good time and I would like to thank you for your positive feedback and kind compliments regarding our hotel service and location.

I would like to thank you again, and look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

operation manager of Orchid Hotels

Write a ReviewReviews (1,143)

Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel was a great value for the high quality. Three of us shared a room (queen bed and convertible sofa) for a total of $180 USD just before the high season was starting. The location is across the street from the beach and the hotel is affiliated with the Orchid Reed Hotel, which is less than 1 km down the road and on the beachfront. Guests of the Orchid Resort Hotel may used the private beach at Orchid Reef Hotel and borrow snorkeling equipment for free. There are some small reefs with colorful anemones, clown fish, and sergeant-major fish just off the beach (about 20 meters) in shallow water easily viewable with basic snorkeling gear.

The hotel is set on a hillside and featured Thai architecture. Guests can call for a golf cart (all very prompt) to take them to and from the front lobby, restaurant/pool area, etc. the staff was pleasant and helpful. Many of the rooms higher on the hillside have a view of the Red Sea. The concierge desk can arrange Red Sea day and dinner cruises as well as hiking in the nearby national park. For those interested in scuba diving, the hotel is conveniently located very close to the Aqua-Sport Dive Center, a full-service PADI-certified dive center. This hotel is located away from the town center in a quieter beach area. The restaurant food was very good and reasonably priced. Eilat is a small compact city and it would still be easy to stay in this area and visit the city center in the evenings, expecting a taxi ride back to take at most 20 minutes.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 5, 2013

My husband and I were expecting something really nice, we always used to look at it from down the road and always thought we'd want to go there and when we finally did at the end of september 2012... what a disappointment! The staff at the reception was awful and not available at all, although some of them were trying... Then, the room, OMG... The only good thing was the bed! They gave us a lousy room on the bottom side of the hotel, it wasn't maintained at all or even clean, a lot of stuff were broken in the room. As if noone had been in this room for at least a year! There was a huge leak from the ceiling in the bathroom whenever the people in the room upstairs took a shower!! A stream went leaking down in our own bath! The room environment was a big joke. In a nutshell, not the quality you would expect from that kind of hotel. We asked to change room but they were "full" (I really cannot understand their success)
We took a tour on the small golfcar that takes you up the hill and saw much nicer places at the top, where the really expensive rooms are.
In any case, not worth what you pay for it, at all!!
Last thing: nice breakfast, but I actually put my plate full of good food on one table and went to get some coffee and by the time I got back to my table, they had already cleaned it!! I didn't even have one bite... Fast but furious!! The managers in the breakfast room were ok.

Room Tip: pay much more and get a room up the hill!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ThePigeonLog

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Orchid Eilat.
I would like to thank you for bringing your feedback to our attention.
We are dedicated to provide a high level of service and standards. Therefore I was very surprised at your experience here.
I deeply apologies for any inconvenience you may had.
I will appreciate if you will contact me directly in order to find a way to solve this issue with you. We hope to have the pleasure of hosting you back in the future and assure you be able to enjoy in a spoiled and relaxed atmosphere.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

My husband a I have booked in at this hotel 3 times over the last 5 years and have loved it until now. It sadly has not kept its class. Usually our room has been fantastic and this visit we were placed in a tiny little room without the option to upgrade. The pool area is now dirty, unkept, zero towels to be seen and staff that really couldn't care less to help you. We were even told by a staff member that that they feel the same!!!! The professionalism is gone. Sadly never returning.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Nadpk L

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Orchid Eilat.
I would like to thank you for bringing your feedback to our attention.
I deeply apologies for any inconvenience you may had.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

I stayed for three nights at this hotel and really liked it. I was almost put off beforehand by the negative reviews on here, but I am so glad that we went ahead and booked it.

Our room was clean and the bed was comfortable. We were room 800 something so we were pretty high up the hill with amazing views. I didn't find the walk up the hill a problem at all - and it was over 30 degrees and I am 6 months pregnant! There are golf cart type vehicles that they use to drive your luggage up for you, and they will take you up/down whenever you want if you call them.

It is a few miles out of town, but personally I preferred that as it was a lot quieter. The town itself is pretty touristy. Taxis into town worked out as about 7 GBP each way or the hotel offers a free shuttle bus until 7pm. Or there is a local bus as well that only costs a few shekels. You can walk to the Coral Beach in about ten minutes. The hotel reception will order taxis for you and they come within about 30 seconds.

The pool area is lovely. Plenty of loungers and umbrellas. There is a large swimming pool and then a couple of smaller ones, I think for kids. There is also an outside jacuzzi. The poolside cafe is really nice - massive sandwiches and salads. The breakfast buffet was nice - plenty of choice.

Check in is 4pm but we arrived at 1.30pm and we were able to check in to our room right away. They also let us check out 2 hours after check out time, even though they were going to be full again that night. The staff are quite abrupt but they are helpful - they called taxis for us, let us check out late and when the shower head in our bathroom broke, they came and replaced it within five minutes.

The hotel has free Wifi in the lobby and in all the rooms as well.

I loved my stay at Orchid and would not hesitate to go back.

Room Tip: We were room 800 something - it is at the top of the hill so a bit of a walk but nice and quiet with...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

we waited three hours for the rooms after
checkin!!! rooms are old and tired pictures attached... service can be better. other reviews are old or on the top high end villas for 2500$ a night. I would not recommend this place.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank hananb1
lauren z, Manager at The Orchid Hotel and Resort Eilat, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Your opinion is very important to us and we appreciate for taking your time to write this review.
I was sorry to read that your stay at the New Orchid Reef Hotel in Eilat was not a good experience. Your comments are being taking serious care of by our staff.

You are more than welcome to contact us in any way you find and give us your full review so we can improve ourselves in the future.
I truly hope that on your next visit to Israel you will choose to stay with us and I kindly ask you to contact us to reassure you that we always strive to deliver a first class product and an extraordinary service.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

We stayed 3 nights (Thursday-Sunday) on the Shangri-La villa, number 18 (I heard that the regular rooms require innovation).
The villa is exactly what a couple need. The villa is located on top of the hill; you get a full view of the bay. The villa consists on a large balcony that includes a double bed and a big Jacuzzi (takes 1.5H to fill it, you need to ask the hotel to do it for you). The room itself has a big living/sleeping room, a clothes closet and a bat. The room has all the expected amenities (including coffee machine, refrigerator with fresh water). My only complaint here is that the TV is located to high close to the ceiling.
The hotel is built on a Hillside, going to your room is not too difficult and if you wish there are electric cars that take you from any point to any point in the hotel.
The hotel is decorated in the spirit of Thailand; everything is made of wood with falls of water everywhere. There is a relaxing feeling in the hotel.
Regarding the staff, most of them were very kind and willing to help.
The hotel is located outside the city (5 miles). You have hotel shuttles that transfer you from/to the city at designated hours.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple