“Great room in a pretty hotel”

Queen of Sheba Eilat
Ranked #26 of 62 Hotels in Eilat
Cupertino, CA
“Great room in a pretty hotel”
Reviewed August 10, 2008

My wife and two kids (ages 9, 12) just spent three nights in a Junior (Mountain view) Suite at the Eilat Queen of Sheba Hilton.

The stay didn't start out great as we arrived at 2:30pm, but our room was not ready until after 5:00pm. However, once we got into the room, the stay was very nice. The suite was a perfect size for our family. There was a master bedroom (king) and a fold out couch (plus an additional single cot/bed) for our two kids. We were on the 12th (top floor) of the hotel and our view across to Jordan was great.

The first day we had our breakfast (included in the rate) at the restaurant on the 12th floor. It was beautiful up there. When we went there for the 2nd day, they said our room only included the regular (ground floor) breakfast), though they let us eat upstairs anyway. I still don't understand who the 12th floor breakfast was for, but I'd recommend that if possible. The food is the same, but it's quite uncrowded upstairs, and there is service more like in the US than Israel. The pool was nice (open until 6:00pm), but we didn't go to the beach near the hotel. We opted instead to go to the Coral Reserve beach for snorkeling. My wife and I lived in Israel in the 1990s, and we love to scuba dive, so we are quite familiar with the Red Sea dive sites. The Coral Reserve beach has added a pier with easy snorkel access to Moses' Rock (not to be missed if you like to snorkel). I'd also recommend going to the aquarium for their underwater view of the life of the Red Sea.

One thing that we didn't do (but have done in the past and I'd recommend) is to park near the border and walk across to Egypt for a dinner at the Taba Hilton. I don't know if the border crossing has gotten more difficult, but it's cool to be able to say you visited Egypt during your stay.

One other thing we found is a place that does laundry. They charged us 53 shekels (about $15) for 7KG (15lbs) of laundry. This was much much cheaper than the hotel rate, and was a big help for us after being in Israel for a week. I believe it was called Royal laundry on Elot Street (the hotel should be able to direct you). There's a good place for Shwarma and Felafel just up the street from the laundry place

All in all, except for the late room availability, we really liked this hotel and stay in Eilat.

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — not close to snorkeling beaches
  • Stayed August 2008
2 Thank gbob

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Hebrew first
Canada
Reviewed August 5, 2008

Visually - A very nice hotel from the outside, especially the view looking back from the beach/waterfront which is the pictures you will see most often. The Lobby was also very nice. However, the rooms were absolutely disgusting. This is a VERY heavily used hotel and it is quite apparent that the management spend $0 on maintainance. I am told the hotel is only nine years old, but the rooms looked like they could be from the 70's, including the Carpet which was horribly stained throughout both rooms we had. I wish I had seen it earlier, but on our last day when I did a final check of both my rooms and the kids, I always shake out the linens to make sure nothing is left behind. It was only then that I discusovered the comforter on my children's bed was actully ripped in numerous places where it fastened together at the bottom. I looked at my own comforter in my room and also discovered that it was torn. Additionally, the 4 other families we stayed with had the same experience with the state of their rooms, so our's was not an isolated situation, although I cannot speak if they also had torn linen. As far as the service goes, it was atrocious. The service in their pool area was non-existent, The service in the pool restaraunt was 3rd class, not even 2nd class. I sat in their bar/lounge area one night and tried to get a drink for almost 20 minutes from anyone that came by. Finally I went to the bar to get a drink and still could not get one and gave up. The bar also doubles as the main area to congregate at night for everyone. Kids, families etc and is like sitting in the middle of times square at New Year's. Even at 1am the place is a Zoo. Try and get a relaxing drink...forget it. There are kids running around day and night. Many of the rooms are listed as non-smoking but it was clear no -one respected the smoking boundries anywhere in the hotel, even when asked to put out the cigarette. One of our two rooms (the kids room) was satisfactory in size, but the other was a shoe box. The bed took up the entire room and my wife and I had step the luggage as there was no place to put it. The only redeeming quality of the rooms were the bathrooms which were more modern and although quite small, more of what we would have expected. The music from the boardwalk pounded into our room until after 1:30am and when I complained about it, I was told we would have to stay put as there were 0 rooms available anywhere in the hotel. Actually, I sat in the bar area trying to get a drink and managed to identify one of the hotel managers. I explained that our stay to date had been less than favourable. He went away and said - leave it with me, let's seee what we can do. He came back and basically said, there is nothing he can do. He did not even offer to buy me drink. Perhaps then I might have gotten one !! The list of issue's with this hotel goes on and on and this was the 4th Hilton I had stayed at in a period of 4 weeks. The other 3 were not bad (London Paris and Rome), but this one was perhaps one of the worst hotels I have EVER stayed at. To make matters worse, when I checked out, my bill was 3 times what it was suppossed to be. After 1/2 hour of disagreement with the desk and the front manager, they finally acknowledged their error and corrected the bill. It is now 2 weeks later and upon reviewing my Visa bill, they went ahead and overcharged me anyway so I now have to deal with them on this. Additionally, they did not credit me my Hilton Honors points at all, even after I confirmed my nuber was attached to my reservation both upon checking in and checking out. I would NEVER stay at this hotel again and I would caution anyone who is considering it to consider the following. If you are used to a 4 or 5 star hotel, even though it is rated as such, it is no where close. In North America, it would barely pas as a 3 star. If you want a nice relaxing holiday, this is not the place for you. If you are 22 and want to party, and could care less about ammentities and service as some of us older more seasoned travellers look for, then check in and rock on !!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The State of the Rooms
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank welltravelledCanada
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 11, 2008

Great hotel....very friendly and helpful staff. Rooms are very nice and very clean. Nice bathrooms with marble and great water pressure in the showers. Very very nice pool area....and a great location. This was one of my favorite hotels in Israel...if you are a hilton gold hhonors member this is a special rooftop lounge you get access to that has an amazing view of the water and the city!

You won't go wrong staying here!

2 Thank snowcrash666
Connecticut
Reviewed April 8, 2008

We were shocked that this hotel is a 4-star Hilton. We were unable to check into our room until almost 4 pm (check in is at 3). The front desk/check in staff were unfriendly. No apologies for late check in. (And when we asked for a late check out, we were denied it.) THere was no hair conditioner in the room. We needed to ask for it twice. For a room priced at close to $500/night, this did not live up to hilton's standards.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — staff, service, maintenance
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank welltraveled15
australia
Reviewed April 4, 2008

This hotel is touted as a top class resort - this may have been true when it opened its doors 9 years ago; but today there are flaws that sadly make what could be a great hotel - little more than an average accommodation facility in many areas.

We booked a 2 bedroom King Sea View Suite with outside Jacuzzi for 4 adults.

When we arrived at the hotel the suite was not yet ready which was not a problem as we did arrive before the official check in time - we were told that as we had Executive Lounge access we could wait there and they would notify us as soon as the room was ready.

Our problems started when we tried to store the luggage - the porter took one bag and told us to follow him with the rest of the bags to the luggage room; when we hesitated to bring the bags the porter repeated - "you must come with the bags to the luggage room" Once we'd brought the bags he gave us a ticket and we made our way to the Executive Lounge after getting into an elevator which wouldn't work!

The Executive Lounge is the hotel's saving grace. The lady who was in charge there most of the time - Doron ; really went out of her way to try and solve the problems we had at the hotel and displayed a level of service and friendliness not experienced anywhere else in the hotel.

Once our room was ready we discovered that the air conditioning in the lounge was not working. Although we had requested a non smoking suite- there was a musty smell of stale cigarettes in the lounge. The CD player did not work and had to be replaced. A dvd player was listed as one of the amenities but was not provided.

Although our booking was for 4 adults, the kitchenette was equipped with 2 coffee mugs with plastic stirrers, 2 drinking glasses and no other cutlery or crockery. This in a suite costing $600 per night.

I blew my top when we could not find a wine opener/corkscrew and was told by room service that there would be a 7 shekel charge for bringing one to the room!

I approached the duty manager who was very courteous and apologetic and endeavoured to rectify all our problems. Most of the issues were eventually sorted out except for the lounge air conditioning - which never worked properly despite maintenance doing a complete overhaul on the unit and various visits by various different workers. The temperature on 2 of the days during our stay was over 37 degrees.

We were offered another suite the next day but declined the offer as the suite was about one third smaller than our suite and the jacuzzi/balcony nowhere near as nice as our one.

There is a great selection of food on offer in the breakfast dining room however the service in the morning is non existent and the noise resembles that of a railway station. We ate there once only and had our breakfasts in the Executive Lounge the rest of the time.

As we were in a suite we had free access into the gym and spa however every time one of us tried to get in - it was a mission with the spa staff..

We attended the entertainment provided by the hotel on 2 nights and the level of entertainment was embarrasing - one of the male dancers had a hole in the crotch of his pants which he kept trying to cover up during the dance ' routines'.

The pool area is wonderful and although the pool staff wander around all the time - we had to get our own lounges and not once did a member of staff approach us to find out if we wanted something to drink etc.........

We were given a complimentary meal at the Buffalo Steak House in the hotel by the public relations manager to compensate for all the problems and the food and service there were absolutely faultless - we felt like we were in a totally different place!

The facilities of the Executive Lounge were excellent. The selection of food and beverages offered at all times was first class and without a doubt the best I have experienced at any hotel's 'club' or 'executive' facility. Once again when spending time there it did not seem like we were in the same hotel.

When we requested a newspaper on our second morning- we were told that the bellboy only starts work at 8am so we could not get a newspaper before that time.

When we requested that our room be serviced one morning when we went to breakfast at 8.30 - we were told that housekeeping only start at 9am so the room could only be serviced after that. The turn down service in the evening deteriorated to a card with the temperature being left on the dining table together with 2 chocolates and the bathroom not being touched. Only when the supervisor worked in the room herself one morning was the room restored to the condition we found it in on the first day.

This in a HILTON? When we were paying $600 per night?

The view from our balcony was exceptional and the jacuzzi stunning. The Executive facilities were phenomenal and the Buffalo restaurant superb. Other than that-------the hotel is not worthy of the Hilton name or its grand structure and location in Eilat. Management there needs a serious shake up!!!

• Liked — Executive Lounge, Buffalo Restaurant
  • Disliked — Service, staff, maintenance
2 Thank bluewhite
London
Reviewed March 27, 2008

The Queen of Sheba Hotel is superb, when pulling up the hotel is quite impressive, especially when you enter the lobby area.

We requested an early check in and were dealt with promptly. We recieved a courtesy call from the Hotel Guest Services and the cleaner introduced herself to us, Michelle on the 11th Floor.

Stayed in a Junior Suite, which had a sea yes, we could hear the disco from on the beach in the living room area, but not a sound in the bedroom itself.

Food is good but not great.

Overall the staff and professional, our hotel choice really made our stay in Eilat fantastic.

Very well located for shops and restaurants, when you come out the hotel turn right and you come across some lovely restaurants and shops.

Felt very safe, very peaceful location. Would definitely recommend.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Food
3 Thank JBecks
Toronto
Reviewed March 22, 2008

After some initial confusion (caused, in my view, by my travel agent, and not by the hotel) as to the room type (junior suite was supposed to sleep 4), the Hilton Queen of Sheba stepped up, at no charge, with a 2-bedroom suite, w/Jacuzzi on patio overlooking the Red Sea! Wow!

Great pool, great location, good gym for a hotel (but 40 NIS to use it) and reasonable food prices. Easily recommended.

Toda raba to Barbara at reception.

• Stayed March 2008