“The price was right” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #29 of 63 Hotels in Eilat
Jerusalem, Israel
“The price was right”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

We heard of a deal with what we thought was a good price. Although we go to Eilat often, we usually pay a lot more so we were concerned about what we would find. Not to worry, the hotel gives great value. It is located on the promenade at the marina in North Beach. It is about a ten minute walk past 4 hotels to the beach and more importantly for us, only 5 minutes walk to the new Ice Mall. The Ice Mall is a great attraction worthy of a separate review, but since we went there every day of our stay, proximity was important. We had room a room with a view directly down the center of the lagoon alll the way out to the big ocean vessels anchored miles out. The room was really very nice and I was told that it was renovated last year and the view was fantastic as we could also see Aquaba. Lounging around the pool is a what I like best and I was not disappointed. It was 42 degrees celcious, but tbecasue there was no humidity we were conmfortable. The only meals that we had in the hotels were breakfast and it was more than adequate and on a par with the better hotels in Israel, but admittedly not the same super unbelievabel breakfasts served at the more pricey hotels in Eilat .

Room Tip: All of the rooms face the lagoon, but the rooms in the middle of the hotel see out to the sea. The r...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
KarinPr, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Eilat, responded to this review, September 16, 2014

Thank you very much for your kind words.
We do our best to keep our guests happy and a review like yours only tells us that we are on the right track.

Public relations manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Hebrew first
RAM
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

I have been staying in the hotel for the last couple of years for yearly vacation with my kids.
This is a great option in Eilat and it is getting better every passing year. First, PR manager, Karin is just fantastic, she took care of every little detail of our pre-arrival request, just magnificent.
The check in procedure for our 2 rooms took less than 5 minutes, quick and efficient.
The rooms are clean an modern, all facing the pool and wonderful view of the Marina. We ate at the Lobby and room service mainly which was real nice dairy option for the kids. (Pizza, salads and toasts exc.)
The service is just great, all of the staff are just so attentive and eager to fulfill our wishes, I would mention Yaron the checker at breakfast and pool, he just kept on smiling and assisting us through the week. Last, I would mention Jawad the duty manager, I had a feeling as he is all over the place, speaking gently to the guests, helping us in every issue and in a personal way , I could get a sense of being at home. He truly is a great person and the hotel is lucky to have him on board. Thanks to all of you in Crown Plaza Eilat, hope to see you again next year, Niv.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

By far the worst hotel experience I have ever had in my travels. They say it's a 4 star hotel but I would downgrade that to 2 star because I have been in 3 star hotels with far better service.
There is only one person on at the reception when there should be two because it gets busy.

I stayed there on 26-27 May for one night and then back again on 28-29th May for one night. The main issue was that I misplaced my European adapter and iPhone charger cord by forgetting it in my room. On the afternoon of 27th which was on the same day I left earlier on, I arranged for the hotel I went to; to call and let staff know at Crown Plaza Eilat that I left my charger and adapter in room 802 and to please leave it at reception for me to pick up the next day.
I arrived on the afternoon of 28th asking for my two things to be told they don't know what I was talking about. I explained the whole situation and the lady there took notes and said they cannot go in room until the morning during cleaning so do I mind waiting till the morning. I wasn't happy but it wasn't an unreasonable request.
The next morning I went up to reception and asked for my missing things. Guess what she said??? "I'm sorry, I don't know what you are talking about" I began to get very angry but restrained myself while telling Crown Plaza all over again the story. She and another person there asked me what it was that I was missing, an iPhone?, I told them a few times and said it wasn't my iPhone but the charger and European adapter while pointing to the bottom of my iPhone where it is charged. She then said "Why didn't you tell us on the day you forgot them?" I had to restrain myself even more and say "I did,, I have been asking for them for the last 3 days and I still haven't got it back"
She then told me to sit in the lobby while she sends up a staff member to find it.
Two staff come up to me after 10-20 minutes saying they saw what I was missing in there but they can't just take it out based on just my word because it might be the current guests things. "Do you mind waiting for the guest to come back, it is the iPhone isn't it?"
I lost my temper and yelled "it is not the iPhone!!! I need the adapter and charger!!!" Then I said "I've had enough of this, you all have wasted enough my time, I can't wait anymore, I have a flight home and need to be at the airport now!"
As I was leaving the staff didn't seem at all concerned that I was so upset by it all.
I had a bunch of apologies over those three days but it doesn't cut it anymore. Genuine apologies come with action.
Thanks to the incompetence of your staff I had to spend $52.10 Australian Dollars on an universal iPhone charger at the airport.

The staff at Crown Plaza Eilat needs to be trained in communicating with each other rather than saying they will do something about it, yet not leave notes or messages for staff who are working after their shift.
The staff have very poor English both in speaking it and understanding it. Either hire staff who are proficient in English or train your current staff to more acceptable standards. You are a USA based chain for goodness sake.

I have other things to comment on but this was the main issue that made me angry the most.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Eilat, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear kajan84,

Ben J
Jerusalem, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

My tourists booked this hotel on booking.com. The price was reasonable, and the location is great, a walking distance from the boardwalk, restaurants and shopping. We stayed on the 9th floor, which is great, too bad that our room was facing the north and not the beautiful red sea. When you arrive, request a south facing high floor room. The room was spacious and newly decorated nice and comfortable. The bathroom was ok, equipped with hair dryer, magnifying mirror (not good if you don't want to see your wrinkles...) and even a telephone. The water in the shower behaved strangely at times, going from hot to cold to no water at all for a few seconds, and back to normal. It happened a few times, as if it was possessed... The pool is a good size and nice. With Eilat heat, I could not stay outside the water for more than a few minutes... The food was just OK. I am eating kosher, so I had to eat in the hotel, however the tourists that I was guiding were looking for restaurants within walking distance from the hotel. I asked the girl at the front desk, the concierge the barman and the security person, and no one could tell me what is around. Finally a new girl came in and suggested a restaurant close by. I walked towards the boardwalk for a few minutes, and was pleased to report to my tourists that there were many good restaurants around that are open on Saturday. All in all, a pleasant experience.

P.s. I stayed at the 9th floor, I am in bed reading and suddenly the bed is moving from side to side. That was an earth quack and I was pleased to see that the building is well built!

Room Tip: Try to get the south facing room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank TourGuideInJerusalem

Haifa, Israel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is poorly maintained, for a 4 stars hotel. The pool is a little small for such big hotel. The breakfast is ok and so is the service. The location is very good near the shopping mall and Eilat's center. Bottom line: location, location, location!

• Stayed May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Eilat, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear adrianro10,

We greatly value your comments and would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is good to know that our convenient location worked very well for your activities. I have noted that you experienced inconvenience with the condition of the property and facilities during your stay and would like to extend my most sincere apologies for this. We have taken note of your comments and your review will be used to reconsider future upgrades needed.

Once again, thank you for your valuable comments and recommendation. We hope to serve you again in the near future.

Zelyn N
Haifa, Israel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

The Crown Plaza in Eilat may have been a luxury hotel once, it is no more.
The delux room on the 9th floor is modestly spacious, with a nice view of the Eilat lagoon and a partial view of the bay.
Right after entering the room we noticed that the balcony doors do not lock. A quick visit from maintanence fixed the problem. Then, as we settled down a non-stop chirping started anoying us: the mini-fridge. Opening the door revealed a scene from Ice Age. The maintanence person showed up again in minutes, reset the thermostat which resulted in a useless box at room temperature. It took another call the next day to replace the fridge. All of the above should have been avoided if the room maids were instructed properly.
Food at the Crown Plaza is far from the level of the luxury hotels on Eilat's shoreline. The selection of food is relatively small, and it lacks consistency in quality. For the first two mornings there was a cook cutting fresh vegetables in the morning, which was a treat. On the third day he started working only at 08:15, long after most guests have left the dining hall. One moring I found that someone forgot to set the thermostat of the hot water bath in which the scrambled eggs serving dish was supposed to be kept warm. Eating cold scrambled eggs for breakfast is not a treat. And the list goes on and on. All of the above is avoidable with a good and caring head chef.
The overall impression is that the Crown Plaza is not truly managed.

Room Tip: All 9th floor delux rooms have a nice view of the lagoon and a partial view of the bay.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Eilat, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear GolfBravo,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We are so glad you liked the great view of of the bay from your room. Please allow us to apologize for the experience you had with your room accommodations that did not live up to your expectations. We're also sorry you were not satisfied with our food selections in our hotel restaurant. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and guest services are superior and strive to be the best hotel around. For that reason, we assure you that every comment, no matter how small, is taken very seriously. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Firstly we stayed here only one night, the location is excellent and the views from the rooms overlooking the pool to the marina are amazing! You can even see the Red Sea.

Upon arrival at the hotel the staff were too busy talking to each other, were unfriendly and didn't seem bothered they were keeping us waiting. Eventually we were given a room, only to find it was a double and not a twin as requested. This is annoying as it meant waiting further, however once we had the right room we had a great view, good sized room and 2 double beds.

The swimming pool is a great asset and there are also proper beds for which you can sunbathe, this was excellent and very comfy! I would recommend extending the pool opening hours however as we were only able to use it for 1 hour :-(

My horrible experience at this hotel was when I went to get into bed, only to find a huge cockroach in the bed. I understand it's the Middle East and they exist, however this was not a pleasent experience for what we had paid.

Overall some good and some bad points but I would stay again.

• Stayed June 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Eilat, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear foxybabee,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us. I am glad that you found our location to be excellent.

However, let me take this opportunity to apologize if we have taken so much of your time preparing your room and if for any inconvenience our staff has caused you. Additionally, I am truly sorry for the discomforts you had with your room. Our staff pay special attention to cleanliness and we regret that we fell short of your expectations.

Once again, thank you and your feedback will be used to improve guest services. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Dhan M