“Ein Gedi beach camping in summer: Only if you want to challenge yourself”
Review of Dead Sea

Dead Sea Relaxation Tour from Tel Aviv
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Not only the lowest spot on earth, but also the saltiest and most mineral-laden body of water in the world, the Dead Sea, which joins Israel and Jordan, is legendary as a source of healing, and has become a popular center for health, rehabilitation and beauty treatments.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We were backpacking Israel and the plan was to camp in different locations, not necessarily in camps. So we came to Ein Gedi beach for 1 nights, prior that we were in Jerusalem. Compared to Jerusalem Ein Gedi is 10 degrees warmer. Even in the night it is incredibly hot and its hard to breathe. After experiencing the first shock, which was finding out that there is no green grass nor shade, we had to pitch the tent basically on a rock. Based on the temperature there we could not put the second outer cover layer on the tent so we slept all night long exposed, but nothing bad happened. The night was very bad, it was difficult to sleep due to the weather, and we could not pitch the tent properly cause the ground was totally solid, so the tent was collapsing. In the morning, we found out that there are showers and toilets in horrible condition for 2 NIS. There is nothing to do during the day. Left from there as soon as possible, heading to Biankini campsite with a pool, which compared to Ein Gedi beach was an oasis. Summed up, if you like hardcore, go give it a try, otherwise look for something else.

4  Thank David K
Write a ReviewReviews (2,062)
All reviews
in 25 reviews
"healing properties"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Excellent experience seeing and going into the sea. You float and cant sink at all!!!.
Many prayed and there was a feeling of calm that surrounded us.
The only downside to this was the shop that lies next to it where the women acted like they didn't want to explain or serve anything to us! In the end I didn't bother to buy much other than the salts, as these women kept changing the prices amongst themselves!!!
My advice is bag your own mud!!!

Reviewed July 21, 2013

In June 2013 my wife and I visited both sides of the Dead Sea (Israel and Jordan) during our 14-day Gate 1 Travel tour that included both countries. Since I never learned to swim, this was the first time I actually tried to float without sinking like a rock! Swimmers or not can enjoy a unique buoyancy experience with a dip in the Dead Sea. Gate 1 arranged lodging for us at Jordan's Dead Sea Holiday Inn Resort which was one of the finest Holiday Inns we've ever visited, and our room was just a few yards from the sea. We could lather on the mud and float in the Dead Sea from morning until dusk or opt for the hotel's lovely outdoor pool/live entertainment area instead. Our visit to the Dead Sea on the Israel side was to a public/community beach with showers and lockers available. This was our fifth trip with Gate 1 Travel and overall we feel they give you the best return for your travel dollar and have great itineraries!

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Don't leave Israel without floating in the Dead Sea, especially (and I think preferably) at night. The ideal scenario is to show up around 6 (in the summer) and float till 9, catch the sun set, the stars and the lights from Jordan. Then go eat dinner at the Kibbutz in En Gedde, the salmon was fantastic. We enjoyed the public bathing areas, less pretentious than the hotels and of just felt more organic and simple. but there are spa hotels on the sea if you prefer. We came for one night straight from Jerusalem and it was just right. The heat is intense, it was 104 at 8pm, so unless you are hard core I couldn't imagine spending more than 1 or 2 nights max. We stayed at the youth hostel in En Gedde and it served our purposes - just a place to sleep. Note- you do,not put your head in the water at the Dead Sea - high salt content is what enables you to float but not fun if you get your face in it...I would not bring kids under 7 for that reason (plus the heat).