“Awesome way to spend a hot afternoon - Don't miss this!”

En Gedi Nature Reserve
Book In Advance
$74.00*
9-Hour Masada Ein Gedi and Dead Sea Tour from Jerusalem
$114.00*
Masada and the Dead Sea Day Trip from Tel Aviv
$76.00*
and up
Self Guided Sunrise Masada, Ein Gedi Nature Reserve and Dead Sea Tour from Tel...
More attraction details
Owner description: En Gedi is the biggest oasis in Israel. It has springs and waterfalls, and flowing brooks at the foot of the cliffs, home to ibexes and rock hyraxes.
Monroe, North Carolina
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Awesome way to spend a hot afternoon - Don't miss this!”
Reviewed June 22, 2011

This reserve is beautiful. The pools of water beneath the falls surrounded by tall cliffs and rocks is almost surreal. We found a waterfall and on the way to David's that was actually better in our opinion. My husband, infant, and I were able to swim by ourselves for stretches of time. This oasis is amazing and should not be missed. We went here after Masada (which is very hot and sunny) and therefore really appreciated the lushness and refreshing water.

Visited October 2010

• Polish first
California
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“A fantastic way to spend a day”
Reviewed May 26, 2011

Ein Gedi is a great place to spend some time if you're doing things in the Dead Sea area. One my hour long-ish hike, I saw several ibexes and a slew of hyraxes (small animals sort of luke groundhogs -- they're adorable and were lounging around under the rocks staying cool in the heat of the day).

Here are some things to know that may help in planning a trip.
1. You can take regular Egged buses from Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. It's pretty inexpensive -- 72 shekels (around $24) round trip from Tel Aviv! The trip down has sights worth seeing -- desert, camels, goats, and of course the dead sea. You get off the bus at the first Ein Gedi stop (about 2 hours from Jerusalem). Just ask the bus driver when you get on to tell you where Nahal David is. The bus stop is less that 400 meters from the entrance.

2. If you want to swim in the waterfall, you can change into your bathing suit in th bathroom at the park entrance and wear it under your hiking clothes. It's sufficiently hot in May that if you were supplex or other wicking fabrics, you'll be able to put them on over your suit after the swim and they'll dry by the time you return to the entrance.

3. There are a variety of pools in which you can dip and one, near the lower David falls, where you can lean against the rocks and get a massage from the waterfall.

4. Wear sensible shoes. I saw a troop of badly shod U.S. teenagers on a tour stumbling down the steep steps cut into the trails. Sneakers are enough, but flip flops are a stupid idea.

5. Bring water. It's hot out there.

Enjoy! The passion fruit slurpee at the refreshment stand is very refreshing when you come back out.

7 Thank Sofiastayshome
Minnesota
596 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,435 helpful votes
“Fantastic scenery, great hike, abundant animals.”
Reviewed December 27, 2010

I made two trips to the Ein Gedi Nature Reserve during my time in the Dead Sea area, one with a fantastic tour guide and the other alone just before I left to return to Jerusalem. Upon entry, you are given a free pamphlet with a detailed description of the animals and plants commonly found in the area and the various hiking trails. On both occasions I just hiked to David's Fall (with a quick swim!) and back which took about 20 minutes. Ibex and hyrax were everywhere and clearly the highlight for me as I had never seen either one before. Timing seems to be key as I saw far more animals first thing in the morning than later in the day. The park also begins to fill up with hikers quickly as time goes on so this may also be a case of the early bird gets the worm if you like your time spent alone. If I had to do it over again I probably would have done a more extensive hike, the views looked tremendous from below. Recommended for nature enthusiasts.

2 Thank midway42
New York City, New York
194 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 202 helpful votes
“cool down in relaxing waterfalls, great for children, see a bit of desert life - need to avoid the crowds”
Reviewed September 1, 2010

My kids had a great time here. We spent time in 4 different water pools on our hike. We took one of the shorter versions given the mix of ages in our group.

The kids saw desert animals like the hyrax which they usually don't get to see.

Standing under a cool waterfall on a hot day is quite relaxing, in particular when compared to sitting in the dead sea which felt hotter than the outside air.

I should point out that your experience will be affected by the crowds. We had a couple of the waterfalls / pools to ourselves for a bit which was nice. When they were crowded it was a different experience.

I debated making this a 4 or a 5 rating - as it really doesn't compare with places like Lake Powell in Utah. But i decided that the fact that it is natural and a place to cool down outdoors in such a dramatic desert setting warranted the higher ranking.

You should bring watershoes with backing to walk and go in the pools with (ie keens rather than crocs for example). There were several slippery rocks.

Also- they have closed the final waterfall (David's) on the hike due to falling rocks.

We had 5 year olds with us who had no problem with the walk and really enjoyed the pools/waterfalls.

This is not a good hike/trip for people who don't like the heat or can't walk on slippery rocks.

Bring water.

Leave yourself time to enjoy the water.

4 Thank Richard10024
Raleigh, North Carolina
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 109 helpful votes
“Great hike”
Reviewed May 5, 2010

There are two main hikes that people do in Ein Gedi Reserve, Nahal David and Nahal Arugot. We had to laugh. We showed up to hike Nahal David and saw just busload after busload of kids arriving. I asked the guy at the ticken booth if we were going to be hiking with all of these kids. He said yes, that during the week Nahal David is full of field trips, and that we would be better off at Nahal Arugot, which is longer but less crowded. I was already tired because we had hiked up Masada that morning, so was a bit worried about another stenuous hike. I was fine.
After about a 10 minute walk you have a choice between the blue or the red trails. They basically run parallel but one goes through the river and the other over dry land. We wore our Keens and took the river route. Our seven year old though that this was the coolest thing ever. At the top, about an hour into the hike, we arrived at the waterfall. It's lots of fun. You can swim right under it and get a good shoulder massage.
This is not a hike for people who don't hike. If you aren't used to hiking, I believe Nahal David is easier. Also, if it's a hot day, go early in the morning or later in the afternoon. Even though it's a water hike it's in the desert and can get really hot.

4 Thank Debbiewanders