“An Oasis”

Ranked #3 of 18 Specialty Lodging in Selcuk
London, United Kingdom
“An Oasis”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Atilla's getaway is a beautiful oasis to relax in after spending the morning in the stinking heat of ephesus. The setting of Atilla's sets it apart from any other hostel I've stayed at, with its beautiful swimming pool, volleyball court, shady trees, free pool table and chilled out poolside bar.

I especially loved the home-cooked family style dinner time where everyone sits and eats together making it the perfect time to meet the other guests. For 5 euros you can get a breakfast/dinner combo making it so much cheaper than eating in town. Added tip, get the menemen for breakfast (like scrambled eggs with tomato and peppers) you'll thank me!

It amazes me that this hostel could ever get such a negative review as the one below.Ok so it's not the Ritz, so don't don't expect a 5 star resort, but do expect a warm welcome, amazing atmosphere, and feeling like you never want to leave. I stayed four nights and never had a problem getting to sleep (probably around 11pm) the bar was open and there were people drinking but it was very relaxed with people playing pool and sitting outside chatting, even a few families with young kids playing pool too. There was music playing but it was bob marley and jack johnson style not blaring party music. I didnt drink at all while I was there and I definitely didn't feel like the staff were encouraging drunkeness or loud "obnoxious" behaviour as mentioned below. The review below also mentioned the distance from town, yes it's a 20 min walk to town but atillas runs 5 free shuttles a day back and forth and if you miss one you can always flag a passing dolmus (public minibus) to get to town for about 2 lira I think, so I definitely didn't feel trapped there. Plus, there isn't much in the actual town of selcuk anyway, with Ephesus being a minibus ride away and most people use selcuk as a base for daytrips to the beach, pamukale and ruins in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This place could have been so much better, but sadly I felt that the management and owners were more interested in trying to nickel and dime you as much as they could.

For example, they charge you extra to use the A/C even though you booked a room with A/C.
Drinks are way overpriced and they immediately take away the breakfast coffee/tea at 10:30 so you have to pay for drinks.
The hotel is located in the middle of nowhere, so you pretty much have to either come back to the hotel to eat dinner and stay all night, or hang out in Selcuk and pay the big taxi fee to get back home.

The worst part was the noise from the bar and other guests staying. When I stayed there, a large group of backpackers stayed up every night in the bar area being extremely loud and obnoxious until the late hours (about 1 or 2 am). The staff pretty much encouraged it by playing loud music and feeding them more drinks. It was quite ridiculous and pretty much a case where the staff would rather make money from the bar than keep the other guests comfortable with a good nights sleep.

Its a bit sad since this place has so much potential and advertises itself as a quiet getaway.

Room Tip: Most rooms face the bar area, which can be loud until the late hours.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank noappendix
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Atilla’s is the best! Disclaimer: I’ve been here before. Why? Well it isn’t the ruins, though they are spectacular. Mainly I just like this hostel. The people running the joint are great, the food is great, the view of the crusader castle at night is great, and if you want to just vege out and drink beer by the pool listening to the swallows sing, it’s great for that, too. It’s also good as a home base for day trips like Pamukkale.

Just to touch on concerns expressed by fellow travelers: yes, it’s a touch outside of town, but the free shuttle picks you up when you arrive at the bus station, and whenever you want to go to town just hop aboard one of the regular runs Atilla's makes. It's also worth noting you wouldn't get the view Atilla's Getaway has without being a touch outside of town. Yes, the Wi-fi has a few weak spots, but I was always able to do what I needed/wanted to do online, and they recently added a new server that really expanded the wireless coverage compared to past visits. Some have commented on the bar, but at $3 dollars the beer still strikes me as cheap. I live in DC, and maybe I’m desensitized to the expense, but I can barely get a Bud Light in a crappy dive bar at happy hour for $3. For me, staring out at a crusader castle from a landscaped perch with a pool, marble hills on all sides, and an Efes beer firmly in hand seems well-worth the money. Unfortunately I’m a beer guy, so I don’t know about the cocktails.

One of the things unique to Atilla’s is the diversity of guests. I’m no stranger to the youth hostel booze-until-dawn thing, but rarely do you get the chance to drink with new friends and also meet older people who are having a good time. The staff does a great job of getting everyone to meet and chat, and I’ve hit it off with more than a few people this way that I’d never have met otherwise.

On the whole the staff works long hours even if they always look relaxed, and they really do their best to make the experience the best it can be. It’s homey and relaxed, and if you want something all you have to do is ask. I can’t recall ever having a request turned down, and the general feel is that of your own place but with people around who always want you to have a good time.

I noticed a review about the salad at dinner not being “properly dressed,” which I guess is important if you’re staying at the Four Seasons, but here you just ask for some salad dressing and *spoiler alert* you actually get salad dressing. It’s not complicated, but they’re not mind readers. If Le Cordon Bleu chefs are your style, this isn’t the place for you, but you’ll likely not be in Selcuk anyway. If you want good people, good food, great staff, and a little oasis near Ephesus, Atilla made this place for you.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed June 13, 2013

After the very sunny and tiring visits in Ephesus and Selcuk, getting back at Atila's Getaway is a nice way to end the day. The pool is very enjoyable and the food is very good ! Moreover, the views from the courtyard are breathtaking. Also, the staff is very helpfull and dedicated to it's job. They work hard to make your stay in the area as enjoyable as possible. And choosing this hotel is a good way to avoid the noisy center of Selcuk which is always very crowded.

Room Tip: Rooms not looking the courtyard are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Aguascalientes, Mexico
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Me and my wife stayed @ Atilla's Getaway for a couple of nights and overall we quite enyojed it. At first I wasn't sure if I should book based on read other people's negative reviews (about it being loud, food not good, etc) since I was travelling on my honeymoon and wasn't really into the backpacking deal, but frankly we didn't experience anything bad while staying there, it was a real nice stay!. Overall here's our main experience:

- Atilla's Getaway offers a shuttle which proves quite benefitial once you get to Selcuk, otherwise it's very easy to get around town in dolmuses. You are definetely not stranded, since you can certainly even walk to town (should take you 20 mins or so).
- As other reviewers have noted, after an overnight bus, getting to the tranquility of Attila's made us forget everything, the pool, the bar, the view, it's all real nice. On our first day we walked to Ephesus and back then went into the pool and had some drinks, quite a day!.
- The staff @ the reception was incredible helpful and friendly to everyone who comes by. They managed to book us a trip to Greece (ferry tickets, pickup from the place and drive to nearby kusadasi) even when it was a saturday night and they had to phone some people to their mobiles at off hours. I witnessed the staff more than often turn into travel agents for other people as well.
- The walk to Ephesus from the place is quite nice except for the last 10 mins, where we had to be walking next to the road and letting coach buses pass, but overall it was really enjoyable and most of the people i talked enjoyed it as well. Certainly muh better than taking a dolmus.
- We were amazed at the amount of people over 40 staying at the place, we thought we would find a backpacker hangout, but there were families with kids, people over 40 and the usual 20 yo backpacker.
- We both enjoyed the breakfast since they were certainly homemade. I quite enjoyed the menemen they offered which proved to be more than enough to start the day.
- Meals were average, but well served.
- We stayed on a private room (with private bathroom) in the second floor and slept quite well every night. The rooms are basic and smallish, yet we pretty much used it just to sleep and shower, we would rather hangout by the pool and common areas. Only thing was that the showers tended to flood a bit, but asides from that it was ok and after Istanbul-prices it was certainly dirt cheap.
- An odd thing for us was that we were staying on a private and the room wasn't cleaned during our stay. I mean, it wasn't really *needed* but in all other places (and hostels) we stayed they were cleaned, this was the only place that it didn't happen.
- The staff does an effort to integrate and make people mingle everynight (i did quite admire that to be honest since it happened every single night) with pool games, making people sit together with a fireplace, etc. We weren't really into it, but we saw other people quite happily join into the activities.
- I found the bar to be a tad overpriced (considering we were in Selcuk) and it's no byo, yet by no means it compared to prices we experienced in other places of Turkey, Overall, good draught beer and average value, yet that didn't stop me from drinking every single night!.
- We turned attila's into our base for a couple of day trips to Selcuk, Ephesus, the beach, pamukkale and sirence, all within reasonable distance (expect perhaps pamukkale). Every single day we would wake up, get a good breakfast and head out for the day, head back, go into the pool, shower and get some drinks... it was really nice.

Overall, great stay, great place to hangout, fantastic staff and personally I'd reccommend it for all-ages / all kinds of trips.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Osvaldo M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2013

What an amazing hostel -we were just blown away. Great place to relax. Great breakfast and dinners included. Despite being a little out of town the shuttle service they offer makes this a non issue. Dilek was so helpful and friendly and gave us amazing advise about further travel plans and really added to our itinerary!! Would love to go back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank a_hall123
Hanoi
Reviewed June 1, 2013

The hostel has a beautiful pool, great bar, large clean dorm rooms, and extremely friendly and helpful staff. You can walk to Ephesus (45 mins) from their back door. Its a really peaceful place to hang out during the day, and they have a free shuttle service from the main bus depot/otogar several times a day. The food here is DELICIOUS, really enjoyed the breakfasts and dinners and sense of community. Great place to meet other travellers and hang out!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo