“Great little hotel”

Ranked #5 of 33 Hotels in Selcuk
Denpasar, Indonesia
“Great little hotel”
Reviewed June 24, 2014

The Nazar Hotel was perfect for us, family with two young kids, stayed one night to see Ephesus. We stopped at tourist info in town to get directions, they phoned the hotel and Ilker the manager arrived in 5 mins to pick us up. Very friendly host, excellent English. Hotel was in quiet street but very close to shops and cafes. Looked recently renovated, decorated with ethnic rugs and ornaments. Room was clean and bright. Pool and courtyard were lovely and the rooftop restaurant was comfortable and pleasant. Was our first night in Turkey, we had the set menu dinner and were totally impressed and very full! Breakfast was superb, our kids were delighted. No complaints at all. Small improvement might be a kettle in the room.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 22, 2014

I think this hotel is way overpriced for location and area. Its a small family run place and the owner and his mother are certainly kind and helpful, From my stays and observations on trip advisor, I am sensing that when it is a small place, people tend to write better reviews because it feels like a personal insult to write something negative. Even though I appreciated the owner/family, I'm going to tell you how it is. Selcuk downtown is small. This hotel is further out by several blocks than most places and is in a ghetto type area. I stayed here due to the pool,and thought it may have a touch of social vibe. Its extremely quiet and I saw no one at pool entire stay. Pool is not particularly appealing either. It is surrounded by concrete and ghetto One must pay extra to get a pool towel. .

The entry and lobby are not particularly attractive. The stairway and hallways are very charming. The rooms were very simple, but had brightly painted cheerful walls and were clean. I was unable to get wifi in my room the entire stay. I could only get wifi in the lobby.j Breakfast was fine. The rooftop has a view of that castle, but other than that, is not an appealing place to be.

There are many darling pensions in this town at half the price and in much better locations. Its not the $, its the principle. I felt taken advantage of for being a tourist and booking/committing in advance prior to seeing. I would recommend staying elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sfcitygirl
Walmer, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Hotel Nazar surpassed expectations in every way. The triple room and bathroom were spacious, clean and had recently been decorated, the shower was forceful . The pool, courtyard garden and patio were lovely and used by us on several occasions. The roof top restaurant was an added bonus. Service was excellent and Ilker (whose English is very good) could not have been more helpful and friendly. He was extremely efficient replying to emails prior to our stay, informative whilst we were there, picked us up from the station and even drove us to Priene (a lesser known site, but well worth visiting) and to the airport. I highly recommend Selcuk itself (far nicer than nearby Kusadasi) - it has a laidback feel to it (despite being very close to Ephesus), friendly people and a great setting - surrounded by hills with it's own interesting sites. Not only is Selcuk very well located for Ephesus, it's a short dolmus ride from a superb beach - Pamucak, a pretty hilltop town - Sirince and an impressive water park - 'Adaland'; all of which we very much enjoyed. A highly enjoyable stay, very much aided by our stay at Hotel Nazar - the best value for money hotel we have stayed in. (**Please note: the Ephesus Museum in Selcuk is still closed, due to renovation - the only disappointment).

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank JohnCrayford
Bay Area, CA
Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

Turkish, English, French, and Spanish spoken here, fluently. Lovely older hotel with interesting Turkish textiles as decoration. Nice rooms. Lovely rooftop setting for breakfast (included) and delicious, reasonably priced dinner. Great help on where and when to go to Ephesus and elsewhere in Turkey. We would love to visit again.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Goreme, Turkey
Reviewed June 19, 2014

My friend and I have been travelling in Turkey for 1 month. This is the first bad review I have felt compelled to write. We had planned to fly to Izmir on the 16th of this month to stay at this hotel. We arranged with Iiker, the manager, to pick us up from the airport. During the night before flying, my friend became very ill and had to go into hospital. The doctors forbid her to fly while tests were carried out. Our flight was cancelled and I rang Iiker first thing in the morning to cancel the transfer and the room for that night. My friend was released from hospital later that day but was still unwell and needed rest. We rebooked our flight when she was feeling better and felt confident that we could resume our holiday. We kept Iiker informed of our plans and arranged the airport transfer again and advised him we could continue our booking at the hotel. Unfortunately, my friend became ill suddenly again, resulting in a further emergency trip to the hospital. I called the hotel once again, apologised for the situation having to cancel at short notice, my friend was extremely ill, at the emergency dept, when I received an abusive call from Iiker, accusing us of deliberately causing him inconvenience and trouble as he could have rented out the room to someone else. Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else. Oh yes Iiker, thanks for asking NOT, My friend is out of hospital now

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
6 Thank Swaggy26
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 18, 2014

the hotel is close to the train station the bus station and everything else! We had a room with a balcony which offered us a great view of the castle! Ilker the owner goes overboard with helping you! He offered us great suggustions for the sites and how to get there, super kind and informative! breakfast was good and again great views from the roof top! we didnt have dinner there all though it did sound good! the room was clean and the bathroom was a good size! no TV in our room but we didnt need one and the WI FI worked fine! no elevator FYI. the pool area was also very nice ,sadly we didnt have enough time to enjoy it...also the little dog that lives there is so cute!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank travelapple
Oakland, California
Reviewed June 15, 2014

The hotel is perfectly situated for people wanting to travel to Selcuk for a visit to Ephesus. Very clean and quiet with a great breakfast. The best thing about the hotel was the staff.
Once we arrived in Selcuk we had no idea how we were going to visit the sites and they very quickly helped us make the most of our trip without spending a lot of money and time. They helped us get to Sirince by bus and saved us a lot of money by getting us a taxi to take us to Ephesus instead of signing up for a group tour. In fact, they recommend a great restaurant in Sirince which turned out to be one of our favorite dining experiences in Turkey.
They were extremely helpful organizing our travel leaving Selcuk. Travel in that part of Turkey can be a little daunting and the distances can be great. We were planning to travel to Fetheye and had a vague idea of how to get there. The staff not only helped us get the fastest and most direct bus, they worked it out so we had time to visit Pamukkale (which I'm so glad we didn't miss).

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple