“Only a pillar to see”

and up
Ephesus and Artemis Private Tour from Kusadasi
Ranked #32 of 44 things to do in Selcuk
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I just want people to understand that though this was an ancient wonder of the world all that is left is a pillar like the picture shown. I was glad to see it just because I could say I saw it and our tour guide drove by it for free after showing us Ephesus, but do not go out of your way to see this or pay someone to show it to you. It is free to see.

1  Thank christy1030
in 9 reviews
"basilica"
"statues"

Reviewed July 21, 2013

There is little left to see of these ruins, but its worth a visit just to have seen one of the seven wonders of the ancient world. It is half-way to Ephesus from Selcuk and just a short walk behind /downhill from St John Basilica. Watch out of the touts at the site, which can be a bit aggressive. The site is free and will take less than 10 minutes to see once you get there. Its clearly signed, off the main road leading from Selcuk to Ephesus, and is a nice early evening walk through a tree lined corridor if you are staying in Selcuk. There is parking at the site (free, I think). If you are pushed for time, don't make this a priority -- after being there, I would not feel disappointed if I had not seen it.

1  Thank ZeddyDog
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I don't even understand why it is listed as a tourist site. Our guide took us to this site, pointed out to this pillar and then showed a picture in a book to show how it looked. Waste

1  Thank Alif0410
Reviewed July 16, 2013

The site itself is incredibly unimpressive. It is in a swamp and there are only a few stones and a column left, and the site is allowed to flood, and we were there at a high water time so there was even less to see. However, it is the site of one of the ancient wonders of the world, so I would recommend going out of the way to see it just so you can see the site of an ancient wonder. The side trip would not be a total waste either because you can see St. John's Basilica and Isa Bey Mosque which are right next door.

1  Thank ACD323