“Best Original and Wonderful Carpets”

Black Sheep Carpets
Ranked #10 of 23 Shopping in Selcuk
Reston, Virginia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Best Original and Wonderful Carpets”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

We met Aydin (owner) who was the most charming and pleasant person to talk too. He has a beautiful shop in the center of Selcuk with the most well made colorful carpets I have ever seen. The art and time that goes into just one carpet is amazing in itself. We listened to wonderful stories and got to see some of the largest pieces that I wished I could have taken home with me. I learned so much and felt very lucky to have met such an interesting and kind person as Aydin. His carpets are magnificent as is his himself and his store. If you are ever in Selcuk I suggest you stop by and have a tea with Aydin. You won't be disappointed!

Visited April 2013

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“High quality,Great atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

I visited the shop and bought nice little wall hanging rug.It was reasonable and practical.
After that day we became very good friends.
Since Mr.Murselin was so frank,nice person I visited the store almost everyday to say hi during my stay in Selcuk.
He and his family often offered me a turkish tea,taught to me how to play backgammon and even entertained me with his saz(traditional turkish instrument)!
As you can see it's just more than a carpet shop!
I really enjoyed the time spent with him.
This place was most comfortable shop I ever visited in Turkey for sure,and I think his siamese cat is unbelivably cute.
If you're in Selcuk you should definitely go there not only for the carpet but to earn privilege for real turkish hospitality.
Thanks for treating me like a family,Murselin!

Visited March 2013
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Not I know the entire culture behind handmade rugs”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

I was referred by one of my dear friend to stop by. I have been to dozens of rug stores but never felt so comfort like I did in Blacksheep carpets. We learned SO MUCH from Aydin. All about rugs and beautiful Turkish culture. My daughter had a wonderful time and enjoyed playing with kittens. I highly recommend you to stop by and meet with black sheep. Our rugs looks beautiful in our house. Thank you for you great hospitality. We will come back.

sacramento
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Every rug is a piece of art with a story”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

We traveled Turkey with another couple for nearly three weeks in March/April 2012 and fell into what we called "the rug vortex" in every city we visited. By the time we came across Black Sheep Carpets, down the hill from St. John's Basillica in Selcuk (which is actually "new Ephesus" - it's where the city was eventually moved due to changes in the river path and coastline), we knew what we were looking at. Aydin, the owner, comes from a family with deep roots in the eastern part of Turkey, where most Turkish carpets are woven. The inventory of the shop is impressive - antique and new, wool and silk, traditional and more contemporary, traditional pile or flat weave and kilim, expensive and affordable - but even more impressive is Aydin's knowledge and hospitality. Aydin is among the best of the best... the kind of owner who makes you feel welcome whether or not you choose to purchase a rug (although, of course, he will encourage you!). If you haven't learned about Turkish rugs, this is a great place to understand why the Turkish double-knot is considered highest quality, and to learn about the beautiful symbolism and heritage of Turkish designs. Besides rugs that Aydin has purchased to sell at the store, he also has a number of new rugs that he has designed based on famous motifs.

We liked Aydin so well that we gave him our US contact information. He recently completed his every other year trip to the US where he sells to some of the best regarded specialty carpet stores (we were familiar with one of them in the East Bay). But of course, you will pay far less in Turkey than you would in the US.

Visited April 2012
Penetanguishene, Canada
80 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

The work involved, especially in the silk ones. You will not be disappointed in any of these carpets. They are amazing to look at, touch and of course arrive at your doorstep once at home. Too much can not be said about these carpets, simply wonderful.