“It was a Nice Experience at the Kalehan”
Review of Hotel Kalehan

Hotel Kalehan
Ranked #12 of 34 Hotels in Selcuk
Reviewed August 3, 2010

I was at the Kalehan Hotel (this was the second hotel shown to me by this travel agency on the evening of July 20, 2010) as arranged by a travel agency whose contract I terminated for failure to honor its promise to house me in 4-star hotel giving me an excuse that it was high season in Turkey and as such it was very tough to get a 4-star hotel for the price of $2,500 LAND TOUR ONLY that they quoted me. Great that I did not pay any money to this travel agency yet because they tried to dupe or rip me off for that amount.

Anyhow, I arrived at the Kalehan hotel exaspirated at the travel agent because it was not a 4-star hotel again as it was quoted on paper, I decided that I will stay for a night to fly back to New York the following day, however, while I was eating my late dinner at almost 10:00 PM on July 20th at the Kalehan, I changed my mind and decided to ask help from the hotel's receptionist for local land tours for Ephesus, Pamukkale, and Didyma, etc. The gentleman was just sooooo helpful, he took charge of booking me for a 3 day tour with APASAS tour office. As expected, these 3 days became a good experience for me. Thank you gentleman receptionist for your help.

The next four days became a comfortable one at the Kalehan. The waiters were very accomodating, very courteous, multi-lingual, and just very exceptionally nice to all their guests.

The night waiter, whose name I forgot, who was orignally from Mardin, went out of his way help me with my luggages as I chased the train schedule for Izmir for my plane schedule to Istanbul. He was MARVELOUS, thank you very much

Breakfast at the Kalehan for 4 mornings of my stay was EXCELLENT, the room chambermaid who I did not get the chance to meet was also excellent, she kept my linens neatly tucked and kept my room very clean.

The Kalehan has a rustic ambiance, the facade of the front building is planted with lots of beautiful, lush plants which make the surroundings cool, the interior of the front building is decorated with antique door knobs, knockers, and locks, there are many more antique decorations which made it very cozy and nostalgic.

The space behind the front building is planted with lots of flowering roses of varied colors, more nice shrubberies and trees. Embedded in it is the elevated swimming pool. There are two more buildings within the property where more beautiful rooms are housed in the taller building while the smaller structure houses the family suites.

OVERALL, even if Kalehan Hotel is not a 4-star hotel, I enjoyed my stay thereat for 4 days. Thank you staff of the Kalehan, you made my solo journey very memorable.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo

Reviewed June 28, 2010

We stayed at the Kalehan with family. Found the room comfortable, with helpful staff.

Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2010

This is not a fancy hotel but it is very charming. If you are looking for a tv in the room then wrong place. This hotel is adorable and has great grounds. I had a single room with two twin beds, very cute and basic. The pool is great and it has a nice little bar right there. The breakfast was good and filling and it is a 5 minute walk to town. The view of the castle behind the hotel is nice, especially at night when it is all lit up.

If you want to use the internet there is a cost but it is all donated to a local charity. I know some of our little group complained of the rooster or noise in the mornings but I did not have any of those problems.

• Stayed: June 2010
Reviewed June 9, 2010

We were part of a small group (15 people) travelling through Turkey in May/June 2010. We had been cautioned by our Turkish tour operator that the Kalehan was "basic", but I think this was just to ensure our expectations weren't inflated after the quite grand hotel we had in Istanbul, as we all found the Kalehan delightful. Small, cosy, with country atmosphere, good food and a view of the castle from our room. The pool (and poolside bar with reasonably priced Efes beer) provided a very pleasant way to relax after a day of touring the Ephesus and Maremana sites. The Kalehan is near the edge of town, but a 10-15 minute walk will take you to the town centre. Very friendly staff here as well. Only downside was the crowing roosters in the morning, but hey, you're in the country!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 25, 2010

The room was spartan and very noisy, there was a problem with the hot water and the reception overcharged for cars.
We paid 50 euros for an airport drop in a car that had stained seats and a grumpy driver, 100 euros for a trip to Prienne, Melitus, Didima where me, my husband and daughter were squashed in the back seat of a Hyundai Accent for 3 hours. The driver turned up 30 mins late and would put on the air conditioner only after repeated reminders. The Reception also arranged a very average guide for 50 euros for the half day trip.
Very poor show!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ushab
Reviewed May 16, 2010

Nice hotel. Food good. Wifi access fee donated to charity. A lot of good things to see by daytrip if you have a car or go on tours. Alcohol was very expensive.

Chickens etc. wander the gardens, leafy green and off street parking.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2010

The people at the hotel are very nice. The rooms are reasonably clean. But the rooms are very small, badly furnished with the worst beds we have ever tried to sleep on in our travels. After a sleepless night on u-shaped undersized beds with springs groaning, I asked the hotel to bring in new mattresses and they did..but they were only marginally better. The breakfast is terrible, again the worst we have had in our travels. In addition I was quoted a rate on the phone and given a much higher one when I arrived. Selcuk is a nice town and Ephesus is amazing but this hotel does not deserve your time or money. Stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank winetraveler17
Also consider these accommodations in or near Selcuk
Livia Hotel Ephesus
#1 of 4 in Sirince
Ephesus Hillside
Ephesus Hillside
#15 of 34 in Selcuk

Been to Hotel Kalehan? Share your experiences!