“Good value for money.”
Review of Hotel Nilya

Hotel Nilya
Ranked #7 of 34 Hotels in Selcuk
Reviewed December 5, 2012

This is a clean hotel in a very quiet streeet near St John's Church. It is still an easy walk down to town and the railway station.
The rooms are small but clean and the breakfast is excellent.
The hotel can arrange for tours, a car to pick you up from the airport in Izmir (although, if we went again, we would take the excellent train) and taxis. They provided us with a free shuttle to the ruins at Ephesus.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Breakfast in the courtyard at the Nilya Hotel made me feel like I was in a movie. Sitting under the trees with the birds chirping, wonderful food and great service. I think we could have sat there al day long. The rooms are small but the decor is fascinating. And the great room is so cozy you don't want to leave there either.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 26, 2012

On a tour of Turkey, we spent 2 nights in this hotel. The location is fine, and the courtyard beautiful. The rooms were on the small side but very clean with a very new modern bathroom. Breakfast was lovely, and served in the courtyard. We found the Manager/owner to be quite surly and not at all welcoming. Having been bowled over by the friendliness of staff in other hotels, we found this to be a disappointing experience.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank scarb
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We spent only one night at this family-run establishment. The bedroom was tastefully appointed with traditional ceramic tile artwork, and the bathroom was new. We enjoyed a wonderful breakfast with fruit, breads, cheese and scrambled eggs. Since the weather was too cool to be eating outside, it was served in the main lobby area.
The only downside was while in our bedroom, we heard our next door neighbor talking on the phone. We could hear every single word of that conversation. Otherwise, it was a good experience.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank A L
Reviewed November 25, 2012

You can read all the reviews on this site for the basics. I’ll say that in a country where “breakfast included” means a lot (breakfasts in Turkey– including every hotel we stayed at– are wonderful) there was something about the breakfasts here that were special– the freshness of the fruits, beautiful presentation, and garden setting. Staff was very helpful. Rooms on small size, limited natural light, but the garden is lovely. Was amazed that in our room, the bathroom was new, all marble, and looked much newer than room itself.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 13, 2012

This hotel was a solid choice for a small town like Selcuk. It is very clean, the bathrooms are brand-new, the breakfast is plenty and it is served in a beautiful courtyard. There is a nice lobby area where you can have a glass of wine in the evening or do some reading after a long day of touring. They also offer a free shuttle to the site Ephesus for their guests, which is a nice touch. They even supply you with a guidebook! They are certainly making an effort here.

I felt uncomfortable with our stay at this hotel because I asked to switch rooms and I didn't feel that that was particularly well-received by management. I just found our first room to be rather dark for my taste, though spacious and beautifully decorated, and it gave onto a stairwell. To their credit, the management moved me as early as possible (they were sold out so it had to be the next day) and did everything to accommodate my wishes, but I felt an underlying sense of malaise in the aftermath of my request.

For the price, this was fine, but I was excited because the hotel had been rated so highly on tripadvisor and I didn't encounter the kind of delightful hospitality other reviewers have posted about this property in their reviews.

Room Tip: There is one really fancy room on the 2nd floor with a gorgeous terrace in front of it etc., looks w...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank neimanmarxist
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I was booked into this little jewel through a tour with Heritage travel. I arrived to the most friendly people I have ever met. My room was clean and very comfortable, I felt at home as soon as the door was open to my room. I room key was a classic 1920's key which added to the comfort of this beauty. I went to dinner at the Hotel Bella (Sister Hotel) and had an amazing turkish dinner with a nice glass of red wine. The walk back through the cobble streets, I stopped to take photo's of the this beautiful little town. I have a rare problem of contracting Pneumonia when I travel extensively with air planes, and as I lay in bed I realized that this could be starting to happen again, and my medication was in a suitcase in my hotel in Istanbul. A friend in Ankara contacted the night manager and he immediately went to the chemical to retrieve the necessary medication required to get me through until I could get my medication in Istanbul, all within 20 minutes. This very kind manager did not ask for any additional moneys just the cost of the medication. I fell asleep to a very restful night. Upon waking up I went out to the picture garden to find the most delicious breakfast with my kind manger serving me and asking how I was feeling. I was only spending one night but fell in love with this jewel of a hotel. Will definitely return to visit this heaven on earth.

Room Tip: Any room would be a good room, the hotel is a place of peace and comfort.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo