“A very precious experience”

Meryemana (The Virgin Mary's House)
Book In Advance
More Info
$80.00*
and up
Ephesus and St. Mary's House Day Trip from Izmir
Ranked #14 of 57 things to do in Selcuk
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Several years after the death of Christ, St. John brought the Virgin Mother to this house located on the slopes of Bülbül Mountain. It is believed the Virgin Mary lived in this house until she died at the age of 64.
Reviewed August 8, 2014

The Virgin Mary's House was on my have-to-do list and was for me a very special spiritual experience. It cost us 15 TL each. We went early before it became too hot and crowded. There is plenty of parking and a souvenir shop with a good variety of very fairly priced items. You can use euros at this shop - in fact, you often can in Turkey. Bring an empty water bottle with you to fill at the mountain spring - I was suffering from a very bad heat rash and found the water really helped to soothe it. You can also leave a prayer request on the wall near the spring. It was very moving to watch so many people of all different ages, faiths and cultures posting their requests.
A short walk through a quiet wooded area of olives and pines, takes you to the Virgin Mary's House which is very small. You are through it in a couple of minutes as the queue you must join tends to dictate the pace, but I just went through again until I was happy that I had soaked up all I wanted to treasure and remember. There is a donation box for candles which you can light and leave in a designated area outside. There were guards around outside but nobody hassles you. It was very relaxing - we sat on a long low wall for a long time, just feeling contemplative, before we carried on to the mountain spring where we sat again for a while... It was a short outing but a very precious experience.

2  Thank ilwl
Write a ReviewReviews (2,274)
All reviews
"saint john"
in 16 reviews
"entrance fee"
in 18 reviews
"ancient city of ephesus"
in 17 reviews
"mother"
in 106 reviews

Reviewed August 7, 2014

We visited Marys house on our way to Ephesus. Very glad we were the second bus there. By the time we left after 45 minutes, the busses were backed up the hill. I would not have wanted to wait in line to visit what may or may not have been Mary's one time house. The house is small and takes very little time to see. There was also a fence where visitors have left thousands of prayers.

Reviewed August 6, 2014

I saw this as part of a tour group and its nice location and looks good...but was not really my thing. Its difficult to ascertain the significance of such a site given the bus loads of pilgrims...can't help but wonder if it would be different with a small group and not hordes of tours

Reviewed August 6, 2014

Go in the afternoon, when you can experience it as you should, peacefully and not crowded. Beautiful, heavenly, and truly a place to bring your whole family.