“The difference between shopping and knowing what you shop”

Moon Light Souvenir Silver Shop
Ranked #1 of 23 Shopping in Selcuk
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Even though I enjoy shopping sometimes bargaining all the time turns the experience in something exhausting. Generally you don’t know what you are buying or if the price is accurated. Anyway when I went to Moon Light Shop I had visited other shops, so I had an idea about products and costs.
I went to Julia’s shop by the suggestion of the owner of my hotel. Julia received me with her friendly smile and her long long dark beautiful hair. She invited me to enjoy the store and feel comfortable. She only showed me the spots where I could see little souvenirs, pashminas (a gorgeous variety) ceramics, silver (made by Julia and her family), wood products and so many things that I cannot enumerate. All the handmade products are at Moon Light and prices are unbeatable.
Then, Julia let me alone with a delicious cup of apple tea, to discover by myself the beauty of her goods. I sat in the floor near to her nice cat Suzu and I selected some pillows made with old handmade embroidered fabrics. When I was almost done, I asked for her advised and we both decided those that match better. Then it was the time of the embroidered fabrics used like curtains (süsanne?)…. I got so treasures at Julia!! They are my very best and precious shopping in Turkey. Her jewelry is just amazing and unique. Everything was packed in beautiful boxes and her husband took the time to wrap in bubble paper each one of the small cheap souvenirs. She also re-wrapped some marble things I had bought in other store.
With Julia the fact of buying turns into the experience of knowing what you are buying (or not buying). You will know the difference between the diverse designs; the meaning of a tulip or a carnation; the special techniques to paint the ceramic according to teachers requirements and patrons; you will distinguish Turkish goods from those that belong to other countries; will learn about the significance of the mystical and spiritual whirling dances and dervishes (visit a Culture Center as she said, instead of going to see a dance for tourists at a restaurant); and much more.
She is full of knowledge and love for her products and for her land and culture. I spent around two hours enjoying the shop but also her talk and friendship. Turkish hospitality comes true at Julia’s. She is without any doubt, a woman to admire because of her honesty, authenticity and happiness.
Julia, if it happens that you read this comment, know that I hope that life give us the chance to meet again. In the meantime, you are in my memories and in my prayers. Blessings and go on!!!

1  Thank Gabriela C
in 8 reviews
in 11 reviews
in 10 reviews

Reviewed October 20, 2012

The store may look like any other tourist shop but it had great prices and some unique items! The owner, Julia, was honest and made yummy apple tea for us. She did not try to bring us in and let us have space with we were shopping. There was nice jewellery, pillow covers, and table runners. I would definitely go there again!

1  Thank mickmick22
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Moon light souvenir silver shop had great service and Julia working there made us feel completely at home bringing us delicious apple tea and chatting with us. They had a variety of beautiful silk table runners, pillow cases and table cloths. Also there was affordable silver earrings made by Julia herself. There were also gorgeous rings, necklaces, hand painted bowls and mugs. Overall i would recommend this shop and would go back any day!

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Shopping in Julia's shop is a real pleasure - no pressure, honesty, great prices. And when you do decide to buy, Julia is able to package and send items quickly and safely. I bought three beautiful bowls here and they arrived in Australia within two weeks, safely packed and perfect. Doing business with Julia is a pleasure - she is warm, enthusiastic and trustworthy.

See more reviews
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We spent 6 nights in Selcuk while on a 7 week holiday in Turkey. I am a keen shopper, know my prices, and what is quality and what is not. This shop is the best one we could find anywhere in Turkey for quality, fair prices, friendly hosts, and hastle free shopping. We returned to this shop every day we were in Selcuk and Julia was a total delight. She was filled with helpful tips on what to see, where to go, where to eat, where to stay and we were extremely impressed with her shop, her quality of merchandise, her prices, and her friendly manner. Nothing was a problem for her and there was no pressure to buy anything. Consequently we spent a lot of money there and felt we have made great purchases and were extremely happy with what we bought. Quality in her product proved to be excellent. Since returning home we have also ordered more from Julia and I would highly recommend this shop to anyone as the best shopping for silver and other treasures for one stop shopping in Turkey. Good luck in the future. You are a very special lady and your shop is a very special place. I recommend you and your shop very very highly to everyone going to Selcuk. They will not be disappointed.