“Great Setup, Tour was just OK”

No Frills Ephesus Tours
Ranked #4 of 29 Tours in Selcuk
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Staying in Selcuk or Kusadasi? We at 'No Frills Ephesus Tours' offer a no nonsense tour experience without substituting on quality or service. Our aim is to provide the visitor to Ephesus a unique cultural based tour experience with a professional English speaking guide and NO SHOPPING STOPS along the way. If it is the Ancient City of Ephesus and the Ephesus Museum, the Temple of Artemis, St John’s Basilica or the House of the Virgin Mary that you have come to see then that is what we aim to show you. Our half day or full day Ephesus Tours are the perfect way for you to absorb the history of Ephesus without the pressure of carpet, leather or jewellery sales spoiling your day. Tours available every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturdays throughout the winter season (1st Nov - 31st March 2018). Cruise passengers please inquire about our Ephesus shore excursions and private tour options.
Boca Raton, Florida
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 94 helpful votes
“Great Setup, Tour was just OK”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

The reviews are correct, Christine and Mehmet are wonderful people and very easy to work with. We started our Turkey adventure in Izmir and I contacted Christine via email to book the tour, which was easy. We ended up selecting the full day tour and were excited when we arrived to find it would just be us and another couple. Christine and Mehmet greeted us with complimentary water and a good kickoff speech. Unfortunately, they handed us off to a different guide that they had hired. The guide was extremely nice and we had a good tour, but he wasn't a very good tour guide. While he was extremely knowledgable, he wasn't very engaging and it was like he was listing the facts off a bulleted list. If I wanted just the facts, I would of gone with a guide book and read the various signs. I'm paying to be told the stories behind what I'm seeing. Again, the guide was extremely nice and we enjoyed his company, but that's not what I paid for. We provided the feedback to Christine and Mehmet after the tour via their suggestion form, and I have no doubt that they'll work to insure they have better guides next time. We paid to get driven around and sell all of the sites in Selcuk, but this time around, it was definitely a no frills tour.

Visited July 2014

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Amazing!”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

The No Frills Team provided a lifetime memory for my wife and me in June 2014. We had an amazing day, learned a great deal and had an enjoyable lunch. We came from a cruise ship and the team picked us up on time and returned us to the ship with smiles. I highly recommend!

3 Thank Scottclark100
Melbourne
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Very accommodating and pleasant team!”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Ephesus is a wonderful place to visit and it becomes all the more special when you go with a good tour company. Our hotel was in Izmir and I called up No Frills private day tours the night before and asked if we could book a tour for the following day. I spoke to Mehmet and found him to be very accommodating. He gave us directions on taking the train to Selcuk and said that he would receive us at the station. Fortunately, our hotel was just opposite the train station and the next morning we took the train to Selcuk. Mehmet was there at the station, received us warmly, showed as a family of storks perched on top of some pillars of an ancient Roman site opposite his office. At the office we met Christine, the manager a friendly Aussie who we felt very comfortable with.

Ours was a small tour group of just four. Mehmet accompanied us along with the tour guide who was also good. We first visited Temple of Artemis, one of the seven wonders of the world. Pity not much left of it, but we did see the remaining ruins. The comfortable van in which we travelled was parked near a wonderful pepper tree, and Mehmet introduced us to fresh pepper and I had my taste of fresh pepper which I just loved and carried it almost home, but alas some had to go into
the quarantine bins at the airport.

We then saw many wonderful sites - the House of Virgin Mary and John the Baptist. The best part was Mehmet mentioned to us about the Grotto of the seven sleepers. This was for us the highlight of our trip as it meant a lot for religious reasons. Though it was not part of the excursion Mehmet took us to this site. We saw the great ancient Roman ruins of Ephesus - the library, the theatre, Agora etc - it was simply overwhelming. There was no time for lunch as we had included some extra sites but we picked up some lunch near the office before boarding our train back to Izmir.
This was a wonderful trip and I would highly recommend it.

4 Thank orchid55
nyc
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great tour guides!”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We ha a really great trip with the No Frills team. Ephesus is a wonderful site but without some instruction it would be overwhelming. The focus on the country and not on the sale was great. Probably the highlight was lunch when we sat as a group and had a really fascinating conversation about life in Turkey and beyond!

4 Thank mjmtraveler81
Denver, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“fun, knowledgeable guide”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We had a great tour of Ephesus with No Frills Tours. Our guide was friendly and knowledgeable and managed to find quiet shady spots to give us his information in this very busy site.

2 Thank Diane G