“Fabulous Tour and Guide!”

No Frills Ephesus Tours
Ranked #4 of 27 Tours in Selcuk
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Rated Excellent on TripAdvisor & Top Choice on Lonely Planet 2017 - History Only - No Shopping visits - Staying in Selcuk or Kusadasi? We at 'No Frills Ephesus Tours' offer a no nonsense tour experience without substituting on quality or service. Our aim is to provide the visitor to Ephesus a unique cultural based tour experience with a professional English speaking guide and NO SHOPPING STOPS along the way. If it is the Ancient City of Ephesus and the Ephesus Museum, the Temple of Artemis, St John’s Basilica or the House of the Virgin Mary that you have come to see then that is what we aim to show you. Our half day or full day Ephesus Tours are the perfect way for you to absorb the history of Ephesus without the pressure of carpet, leather or jewellery sales spoiling your day. Tours available every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturdays throughout the winter season (1st Nov - 31st Mar 2018). Cruise passengers please inquire about our Ephesus shore excursions and private tour options.
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I booked with No Frills Ephesus Tours (Sea Spirit Travel) based on the reviews here. They lived up to and exceeded every expectation, comment, etc! First of all, booking was easy. Christine was very helpful, spelled it all out and emailed promptly. We booked the all day private tour and it was slightly less expensive than the tour offered by the cruise line, but this is a private tour, and you are not subject to the many time constraints of the tour bus! I was a bit apprehensive when we exited our ship and wondered if they would really be there waiting for us, but I should not have worried! They were there waiting and smiling! Our tour guide was Taner and he was fantastic! He speaks perfect English and was so knowledgeable! We were escorted to a small van. Super comfortable and air conditioned! Especially nice on the HOT July day that we were there! We went to the Virgin Mary's house first as the cruises usually do that later on, so we could avoid as much of the crowd as possible. I was traveling with my 79 year old mom, who is really a trooper, but the heat did get to her a few times. Taner was so helpful in finding us a place to sit and have a cold drink before we ventured on to Ephesus. We then went to a great lunch that was Turkish cuisine. Really good and so much food!! We loved it! We did some shopping and also visited a Persian rug maker where we got to see them making the rugs. One word of caution: There is a jewelry store right next to this rug maker. Do NOT buy anything from these people. They sold me a Zultanite ring. It was supposed to be natural Zultanite, which is a stone that only comes from Turkey. Very large and reputable company, so you would think they would not rip you off. WRONG! The stone is a synthetic, man made stone. Luckily, there was a Zultanite expert on our cruise and I found out right away that this happened. The store has agreed to refund my money through my credit card company. ( Has not happened yet, so we will see. ) Moral of the story: Do not buy Zultanite in Turkey! Any Zultanite sold in Turkey is FAKE!!! They cannot sell it there!!

Anyway, back to the tour: We also toured the Museum and finished up at the Temple of Artemis. The entire day was exceptional. The driver could not have been nicer, our guide, Taner, was fabulous and Mehmet even came and had lunch with us. He took some pictures of me and my mom as she was such a trooper! He also brought us some gifts, which was such a nice surprise!

I would highly recommed this company! They are fabulous, and worth every penny. Be advised though: Tips to the guide and driver are extra. This will add to the cost of your excursion, but still well worth it! Lunch and all your tickets to the attractions are included. Just don't buy any jewelry! Ha!

9  Thank Lgbaz
in 19 reviews
"ruins"
in 25 reviews

Reviewed August 9, 2012

We chose No Frills Ephesus Tours based on the great reviews that it had received in the past as well as the fact that it offered PRIVATE tours on request. I have to say that the service was exceptional. Having booked online, No Frills was very prompt to respond and helpful.

On the day (Sunday because Ephesus was not as busy on that day), our guide arrived personally to escort us to our taxi, which was a spacious minibus. Our Guide's name was Verdi, an experienced guide who brought the history of Ephesus to life. We started our tour at the House of Mary, followed by Ephesus and the Terraced houses (extra) and a decent amount of free time to enjoy the city by ourselves. Also, the guides are very happy to take pictures of you! We stopped for a very good lunch, with all sorts of turkish cuisine. After this we went to the Museum of Ephesus, The Temple of Artemis and we were taken (as a bonus) to a little bar/cafe for a complimentary turkish coffee and a gift of turkish delight. Finally we were taken to St John's Basilica (extra but cheap). The whole day was exceptional and great value for money. We had a most enjoyable day in the company of Verdi and the No Frills company as a whole.

11  Thank Michelle C
Reviewed July 19, 2012

we had a terrific tour of Ephesus with Oktay Karabiyik he was very knowledgeable, enthusiastic with a fine sense of humor. made Ephesus come alive for us.

14  Thank Mary Ellen S
Reviewed July 14, 2012

We chose No Frills Ephesus Tours as a part of our Eastern Mediterranean cruise. I won't go into details already covered by other reviewers; they've already covered most of the highlights (the company is well managed and organized by Christine and Mehmet, the guides and drivers are good and accommodating, and the extras like lunch at a local authentic eatery and gifts at the end are great).

I'll focus on some key points not really covered yet that stood out for me. This is for a tour in Ephesus for two families that were cruising and shared a No Frills tour. The group had a guide, Oktay, and a private air-conditioned minivan.

With regard to value, this was not the cheapest tour the company offers, but for the premium, you are getting nearly private service from people that know the region and the good sites to visit. You are also able to see a bit more. Comparing local tour companies in general to the cruise-provided excursions, the local shops have tours that cost about the same but you'll get more. The cruise, for example, did offer a private minivan option, but it was 1000 USD. Comparable tours I commissioned in Turkey and Greece were about half that, often a little less. The cruise also offered more competitively priced tours but they were in larger groups and tended to visit two locations rather than the four or five the No Frills tour will take you and I'm betting the lunch was not as authentic or nice and didn't come with gifts at the end.

However, my experience has been that the quality of the guides is generally good either way. The No Frills guides are very good but I took a tour with the ship's excursions and the guide there was also fine. The key difference in booking a local tour is the attention you get in a smaller group and the extras.

Finally, something not too many other reviews mention but that I will here is that Mehmet and Oktay are very accommodating, and that's something you absolutely won't get in a large group, simply because of the overhead of managing the large group. Our tour was a No Frills tour but the ladies in our tour wanted to still get in some shopping, just not in a tourist trap, so Oktay detoured a bit for us to visit some shops where the shop owners were kind enough to give the bored husbands delicious apple tea while the ladies did their thing (although this little side trip did cost us some time at one of the planned locations). They also took into account if you needed to stop by an ATM or wanted spend a moment to get a photo.

In summary, the No Frills tour is great and it's largely due to the effort the company's owners put into building a nice complete experience. No Frills in this case didn't mean "no extras" or "no fun".

14  Thank BernieDy