“Bad experience”

Wallabies Aquaduct Hotel
Ranked #18 of 32 Selcuk B&B and Inns
“Bad experience”
Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Well, we didnt have a good experience there... It's a family business, low cost hotel. Structure is very old and lacks maintenance. Room had a terrible smell and air conditioning was not enough for the cold winter. We had to use 3 blankets and sleep with our clothes on  in order not to feel cold.
Bathroom was in very bad conditions, though we had hot water 24hrs.
The owner was disrespectaful with some people sometimes.
We endesa up going to capadocia one day before to avoid one more day at this hotel

The only good thing about this hotel is the restaurant. Very good and well served meal (Turkish food), for a ressonante price. We payed 26 TL for two meals and an Ice Tea.

• Stayed January 2012
4 Thank davicb

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed October 30, 2012

This hotel is a good location but there was not hot water for 2 days. I tried to shower at all hours of the day and night and there was never hot water. The owner said it was because people do their laundry in the room but I find it hard to believe that at 1,2, or 3am there still is not hot water, not even warm water.

Room Tip: stay at another hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Skeeter S
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2012

The owners were really friendly and helpful. The hotel is in the centre of Selcuk which made it very handy for sightseeing, while still quiet at night. The meals, in summer, were outside which made for a very pleasant setting. The rooms were basic and clean, but cheap. I would advise taking an up-grade.

Room Tip: Up grade the level of room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank 13Graham
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 26, 2012

My wife threw out her neck when we stayed here and the owners were very helpful and kind to us.

The rooms are simple and clean - about what you would expect for the money. And given the location right in the heart of Selcuk's tourist hub, the rooms are quite quiet.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Scott D
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Sadly I wouldn't suggest this hotel : the owner and I agreed on a price, but he doubled it when we had to pay. When we were trying to understand calmly, he screamed, grabbed me to take the luggage and my phone. In a few words : the owner lied about the price, and became violent and unprofessional. Besides, the breakfast was mediocre, there was no hot water for the shower, and no room cleaning.
In short : don't go there ! There are plenty of other hotels to choose from.

• Stayed August 2012
6 Thank Cluca777
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Maybe it was all a misunderstanding, but the owner was very unprofessional. On the morning of our departure, he doubled the price we had agreed on, and when we objected, rather than settle the matter calmly, he chose to make a scene. He not only screamed at us, but snatched our money and our luggage, and even rose his fist at my boyfriend, turning on me and physically holding me back when I tried to get the police. The verbal abuse continued even as my boyfriend left to find an ATM. The price remained reasonable, and we would have gladly paid - there was simply no need to lie upon our arrival and to become so unpleasant before we left. What would have been a positive experience with a helpful staff quickly spiraled into an unnecessary bout of verbal and physical violence on behalf of the owner, leaving us sadly disappointed.

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank Dimpulz113
wallabiesAquaducts, Owner at Wallabies Aquaduct Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Dear Reader,
We would like to respond to this review with a second side that may put things in perspective.

As the writer began their review, 'Maybe it was all a misunderstanding.....'. Yes it was.

On arrival, we offered this couple 1 of our Deluxe rooms at a special price of 45 TL per person, 90 TL per night, for the room, 2 people.

On check out, when asked to pay 180 TL for their 2 nights stay, they declined and said they were being overcharged. They refused to pay, saying it was an agreed amount of 45 TL per night. That we had doubled the price. We were being dishonest. This is not correct. Is it possible them had not listened or heard fully?

We had 30 people at breakfast, we asked these guests to check with other guests what rates they were paying. They declined. We asked them to look at our website for the room prices. They declined. Insistant that 45 TL per night was the agreed price.

Hoteliers can not provide a room, hot water (and there was, no other guest made complaint), electricity, staff wages for servicing of rooms, laundry washing and breakfast for 2 people at 45 TL. Impossible!

They remained adament not to pay. Yes, a little frustration and possible raised voice, but no violence. I did stand in the doorway, imploring them to please pay the amount due. I otherwise might as well given them the room for nothing! I could not let them leave without full payment. I asked them to leave their luggage or pay. They did not have enough money on them (!). Eventually one stayed with their luggage, one went to the bank cash machine and they paid in full. Thank you.

If in the first instance when they had questioned the difference, instead of accusing a double charge and dishonesty, had they thought back to the original conversation, or talked to other guests, or viewed room rates on the internet, they may have realised there was an error, a misunderstanding. No further issue would have arisen. A 'misunderstanding' as the writer says, was exactly that!

We all make mistakes! Including myself. The situation possibly could have been handled differently. I (we) have learnt from this and will now look at implimenting a system that leaves no room for doubt, accusation, or misinterpretation.

We sincerely regret these guests have left dissatisfied and with a totally negative view of our establishment. So much so, they both wrote a review about the same event! Readers are left thinking this is a common occurance. Please be assured this was a one off situation. Previous reviews have been positive and complimentary, why the sudden change you must ask yourself? In life, always there are 2 sides. Like a coin, Yin & Yang, up & down, happy/sad!
wichita falls
Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

Well when I first checked in I was really disappointed. All these 5-star reviews lifted my expectation and I was not prepared for what I saw. The bathroom kinda stinked. Everything looked old and falling out of place. But maybe that's what you got for that price. So I am not gonna complain too much. for the plus side, the location is great. Close to the bus station, and even closer to the train station.

I did not try their restaurant. The Ejder restaurant is just across the street and i highly recommend that one.

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo