“Excellent experience”

Wallabies Aquaduct Hotel
Ranked #20 of 31 Selcuk B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 16, 2012

The owners were really friendly and helpful. The hotel is in the centre of Selcuk which made it very handy for sightseeing, while still quiet at night. The meals, in summer, were outside which made for a very pleasant setting. The rooms were basic and clean, but cheap. I would advise taking an up-grade.

Room Tip: Up grade the level of room
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank 13Graham

Reviewed September 26, 2012

My wife threw out her neck when we stayed here and the owners were very helpful and kind to us.

The rooms are simple and clean - about what you would expect for the money. And given the location right in the heart of Selcuk's tourist hub, the rooms are quite quiet.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Scott D
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Sadly I wouldn't suggest this hotel : the owner and I agreed on a price, but he doubled it when we had to pay. When we were trying to understand calmly, he screamed, grabbed me to take the luggage and my phone. In a few words : the owner lied about the price, and became violent and unprofessional. Besides, the breakfast was mediocre, there was no hot water for the shower, and no room cleaning.
In short : don't go there ! There are plenty of other hotels to choose from.

• Stayed: August 2012
7  Thank Cluca777
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Maybe it was all a misunderstanding, but the owner was very unprofessional. On the morning of our departure, he doubled the price we had agreed on, and when we objected, rather than settle the matter calmly, he chose to make a scene. He not only screamed at us, but snatched our money and our luggage, and even rose his fist at my boyfriend, turning on me and physically holding me back when I tried to get the police. The verbal abuse continued even as my boyfriend left to find an ATM. The price remained reasonable, and we would have gladly paid - there was simply no need to lie upon our arrival and to become so unpleasant before we left. What would have been a positive experience with a helpful staff quickly spiraled into an unnecessary bout of verbal and physical violence on behalf of the owner, leaving us sadly disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank Dimpulz113
wallabiesAquaducts, Owner at Wallabies Aquaduct Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Dear Reader,
We would like to respond to this review with a second side that may put things in perspective.

As the writer began their review, 'Maybe it was all a misunderstanding.....'. Yes it was.

On arrival, we offered this couple 1 of our Deluxe rooms at a special price of 45 TL per person, 90 TL per night, for the room, 2 people.

On check out, when asked to pay 180 TL for their 2 nights stay, they declined and said they were being overcharged. They refused to pay, saying it was an agreed amount of 45 TL per night. That we had doubled the price. We were being dishonest. This is not correct. Is it possible them had not listened or heard fully?

We had 30 people at breakfast, we asked these guests to check with other guests what rates they were paying. They declined. We asked them to look at our website for the room prices. They declined. Insistant that 45 TL per night was the agreed price.

Hoteliers can not provide a room, hot water (and there was, no other guest made complaint), electricity, staff wages for servicing of rooms, laundry washing and breakfast for 2 people at 45 TL. Impossible!

They remained adament not to pay. Yes, a little frustration and possible raised voice, but no violence. I did stand in the doorway, imploring them to please pay the amount due. I otherwise might as well given them the room for nothing! I could not let them leave without full payment. I asked them to leave their luggage or pay. They did not have enough money on them (!). Eventually one stayed with their luggage, one went to the bank cash machine and they paid in full. Thank you.

If in the first instance when they had questioned the difference, instead of accusing a double charge and dishonesty, had they thought back to the original conversation, or talked to other guests, or viewed room rates on the internet, they may have realised there was an error, a misunderstanding. No further issue would have arisen. A 'misunderstanding' as the writer says, was exactly that!

We all make mistakes! Including myself. The situation possibly could have been handled differently. I (we) have learnt from this and will now look at implimenting a system that leaves no room for doubt, accusation, or misinterpretation.

We sincerely regret these guests have left dissatisfied and with a totally negative view of our establishment. So much so, they both wrote a review about the same event! Readers are left thinking this is a common occurance. Please be assured this was a one off situation. Previous reviews have been positive and complimentary, why the sudden change you must ask yourself? In life, always there are 2 sides. Like a coin, Yin & Yang, up & down, happy/sad!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Well when I first checked in I was really disappointed. All these 5-star reviews lifted my expectation and I was not prepared for what I saw. The bathroom kinda stinked. Everything looked old and falling out of place. But maybe that's what you got for that price. So I am not gonna complain too much. for the plus side, the location is great. Close to the bus station, and even closer to the train station.

I did not try their restaurant. The Ejder restaurant is just across the street and i highly recommend that one.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank drql
Reviewed June 1, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights while in Ephesus. Picked it based on reading good reviews, but it did not live up to the expectation. The room is very bland, with 3 flat beds and a bathroom that is old and dingy. Upon arrival, we were obviously hungry and they whisked us off to their own private restaurant in the back. The food was okay, very westernized and not authentic. Also, they don't seem to cook the food onsite; they bring it from somewhere else. We saw our waiter going across the street and bringing back the baklava we ordered from the sweet store next door. And you end up paying way more for it all. They tried to make us go there again the 2nd night, but we ate at a much better restaurant, Kebab House, which although was tiny, the food was very authentic and significantly cheaper since they're not trying to rip off tourists. The worse part of our stay was the second night, where we smelled smoke in our room the whole time. And who was smoking? The person was in the owner's apt, lighting up next to the "no smoking" sign. The smell carried all the way up to our room and we couldn't sleep the whole night. It was terrible and I would never stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank NKTip
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Pros: Cheap price, Good restaurant, bread at breakfast was one of the best in Turkey..
Basic room.. but in that price it was ok..
Cons: Matress was not worth sleeping on.. needs upgrade.. sleep quality was horrible.. we were tired the next day as if we never slept..
Breakfast was not buffet - you have to keep asking for everything..
Owners are pushy about selling their stuff..
No hot water in sink.. only in shower..
Restaurant was awesome.. one of the best we had in Turkey..
Overall, hotel not recommended.. but have a meal at the restaurant..

Room Tip: Check the matress first.. better stay at some other hotel :)
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple