“An Unforgettable Feast”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Giritli Istanbul

Giritli Istanbul
Reserve with
Giritli Istanbul is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #176 of 13,399 Restaurants in Istanbul
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Sultanahmet
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“An Unforgettable Feast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2012

I found this restaurant on the NY Times food blog and booked ahead. They do an outstanding job making Turkish food and deliver it to the table in small portions so you can taste it all. The table was colorful and it was fun for the kids and the adults to taste all the beautiful appetizers. The fish was cooked perfectly and simply and we all enjoyed our evening. If I had a recommendation for the owners, it would be to have a more extensive wine list.

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank AmericanCareerExpat

• Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
washington dc
“Enormous quantities of average food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

If you want massive quantities of average food, this is your place. A single hot mezze was served. After that, our table was covered with small plates of cold mezzes which we valiantly tried to taste each of but couldn't. Most were okay, a few very good, some were so similar in look and taste to others that we wondered why serve them. Then fish courses came out, again, too much and too ordinary. The grilled calamari was excellent, the breaded and fried version almost inedible. One dessert was very good, the other odd and uninteresting. This is a fixed price restaurant with drinks included so it's okay if you're looking for quantity. I asked and received a small discount for the two 16 year olds in our group who would not be taking advantage of the included alcoholic drinks. Seating in the garden is for smokers (a shame because the atmosphere is nice there), the main restaurant is in an interesting old house but the lighting (all overhead) is terrible. Because of all the food coming and going, the service is haphazard, rushed at times and slow at others. Potential exists but for now, we won't rush back.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank capindc
Bethesda, MD
“Excellent Mezze - Nice Setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2012

We really enjoyed the mezze at this restaurant. The contrasting flavors are terrific. We eat Mediterranean mezze a lot at home, and there was nothing truly novel about the flavors, but they were definitely a cut above what we got at other restaurants in Istanbul, and we really appreciated the variety. It's not unlike going to a Korean restaurant -- the mezze consist of about 16 small plates of primarily vegetarian (some fish) tidbits. The grilled Octopus was a revelation - really terrific. The fried calamari was also quite good. The fish was the only disappointing note -- and this is probably just me. It was just a grilled fish. No sauce of any kind. If you like that sort of thing, you'd love this. I'm sure it was the pinnacle of grilled fish. But for me, it tasted sort of flat, and I would have preferred a sauce. Unlimited alcohol is included in the price, but we did feel the waiter could have done a better job keeping our wine glasses full. That said, all in, a delicious dinner with wine at an elegant restaurant for 105 TL per person is a pretty good price when compared to U.S. big city standards.

• Visited March 2012
Istanbul
“Excellent Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2012

A must go place if you are wondering about the Turkish mezes that accompany a seafood cuisine. It is a fixd price menu where you will get a very wide variety of mezes, fish, calamari, octopus, drinks and desserts and coffee. Last time I've been there I counted 14 different types of mezes!! And I believe this is the standard for all types of groups, be a large group or be a romantic couple. Only the size of the plate changes, but the number of variety does not. The whole lot of a plate of calamari you would get for the whole table in a regular fish restaurant in Istanbul as a hot appetizer, comes here per person! So if you were 4 people in Giritli, each one of you would get the calamari appetizer for yourself. Same of the octopus.
And I do not need to tell you how delicious they are, it is definitely one of the best fish/meze restaurants.
The waiters all speak English and are very welcoming.

• Visited April 2011
Alameda
“Great Restaurant (all you can drink)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2012

I visited the Girtli restaurant in March 2012. They made me feel welcome as a solo diner. The restaurant only serves a fixed price meal. There was plenty of food, (more than I could eat,) and it was of very good quality. It seemed the food kept coming and coming.

Included in the meal is all you can drink. My wine glass kept being refilled and refilled. (I like to joke, until they finally removed my wine glass .... but then there was coffee.)

The cost was 45 Euros or 105 Turkish Lira. Mention Rick Steves and there is a 10% discount. The restaurant is located a few blocks from the Blue Mosque. It's tucked away around the corner from its street address. For those who like to walk, it walkable from the street car.

I would definitely go again. I highly recommend this restaurant. During the tourist season I would highly recommend reservations as it is not a large place.

• Visited March 2012