“Average food, lousy service and expensive bill”
Review of Balikci Sabahattin

Balikci Sabahattin
Ranked #191 of 13,715 Restaurants in Istanbul
Cuisines: Seafood, Turkish
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Sultanahmet
Paris, France
“Average food, lousy service and expensive bill”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

At first, the view of this charming restaurant full of people makes you think you found a good address (with the help of your favorite trip guide). Once you're sitted, it's an other story :
- waiters are unpleasant and don't take time to take you in charge (for instance, after pouring the first drip of wine int the glass of the "taster", the waiter didn't wait for him to give his opinion about the wine before serving all the glasses on the table)
- they ask you if you are ready to order about 30 seconds after giving you the menu.
Appetizers and desserts are to be chosen from a selection, but they wait for all of them to be ordered before renewing the selection, so you can have to choose between only 2 or 3 kinds, and anyway, they are not very originals : nothing surprising.
The very limited selection of fish (16 on the menu, but actually 4 available) is as fresh as it is in the other restaurants of the city but very expensive.
To summarize you don't pay the food but the set, and you don't pay for the service but the bowtie !
By the way, we weren't the only ones to be very disappointed, we saw another couple leaving very angry.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Heyfeignante

• Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Eating out”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Fantastic fish. Great service .well established family restaurant off the main thoroughfare so no hustle to eat there

Visited April 2013
Haute Savoie, France
“Very good”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had grilled fish and they were very fresh and tasty. Reserve in advance as it not easy to get a table. Price is reasonable for what you get.

Visited April 2013
Calgary, Canada
“Just got back to the hotel”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I had made a reservation and was excited to eat at this restaurant which had come recommended from a few websites I had read. The other reviews (which I wish I had read before going) are correct. We were treated well upon entering....the food was decent fare and the service was alright to the main course. Then as has happened at every establishment I have yet to eat at in Istanbul - we were abandoned. We were sitting ( myself and my husband) in the middle, so it wasn't like we were off in a corner forgotten.... I had an empty wine glass 1/2 way thru the meal - never asked if I would like a 2nd. We sat, like lumps on a log, for 1/2 hour after our dinner plates were cleared & not one of the 5 or 6 people serving around us asked if we would care for anything else( there were about 9 parties in our section)... As we were in the middle of the room & in front of the doorway, we were practically ran into by them all....I had looked at the desserts served to the turkish fellows seated beside us - practically drooling - waiting for someone to at least glance our way, so I could "ask" for a menu.... Nope - ignored - no refill of water - no offer of coffee - no dessert...Finally a more important fellow went by & my husband had to briskly request our cheque... This was brought "quickly", with the reiteration that "service was not included".... I did agree with the server - it definitely was not...(This is the 3rd restaurant so far where this has happened & none of them were inexpensive) I'll be glad to get home to Canada where I can go out and have a pleasant meal, including a coffee and dessert.

• Visited April 2013
Izmir, Turkey
“Not too recommended.”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Used to be good in the older location.
seems spoiled and the service is very poor.
the food is not tasty as it used to be.
prices are very expensive.
wines are not good quality.

Visited November 2012