“Cool Hotel in Istanbul”

Ranked #117 of 1,150 Hotels in Istanbul
New York City, New York
“Cool Hotel in Istanbul”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I spent 5 nights at the W Istanbul in April. I stayed in a Studio Suite ( Room 202). If you are looking for a Starwood hotel this is the best option in Istanbul. This is definitely a cool hotel and one of the W's I like most.

Location: The hotel is located in Beskitas, which is part of the newer part of Istanbul. You have to cross the Galata Bridge to get to Old Town where the Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque and other attractions are. It is a 15 minute walk south to the Kabatas tram station. This is the best way to get to Old Town if you dont want to make the 45-60 minute walk to cross Galata Bridge. Do not take taxis as traffic is horrendous ( And I live in NYC). A taxi from the airport to the hotel costs about 50-55 TL ( $28-$30). The taxi ride from the hotel to the airport is a little more expensive 60-65 TL ($32-$35). Dolmabache Palace is a 7-10 minute walk from the hotel. You can also walk North 2 KM to Ortakoy which has some nice restaurants and lounges on the Bosphorus. Behind the hotel is an area with many restaurants as well.

Room: I stayed in a studio suite ( Room 202). It is approximately 550 sq ft (50 sq m). It isn't overly large for a suite, closer to a regular room. The bed was comfortable. The room has great light controls and electronic shades. There is a nice chase as well and sitting area. The bathroom has a separate toilet. There are two sinks. The shower is very large (room for 2...or 3) with a seat and great rain shower. The Bliss products are provided as well. The one problem with room 202 was its location next to the bar. The noise on Friday was so loud I moved rooms the next day. I thought this situation could have been handled better by hotel management. That is my one complaint.

Internet: It was free for me and was a good strength.

Parking: I was unaware of any parking facilities at the hotel.

Breakfast: I thought the hotel breakfast in the morning was very good. There was a wide selection, turkish tea and even fresh honeycomb! It was free with my room but otherwise was 60 TL ($35) which I think is outrageous.

Service: I thought the hotel staff was very courteous and nice. The concierges were very helpful as were the front desk staff. Everyone also speaks English well. My one complaint was again the noise situaton on Friday night, but they hotel did re-accomondate me on Saturday.

Overall this is a very good hotel. I dont think its the best value ( My room was $545 per nigtht for a studio suite). It is by far the best Starwood option. If you want to stay in the Beskitas area there is also the Four Seasons Bosphorus and Ciragan Palace. I would maybe consider staying in Sultanahmet at the Four Seasons there. This is a great hotel if you like to walk a lot.

Room Tip: Avoid room 202. It is right next to the bar/lounger and it is impossible to sleep on a Friday or Sat...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank KPMGTraveller
Baris B, Guest Relations Manager at W Istanbul, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear W Guest,
Thank you so much for taking time to give us all the details about your recent stay in our hotel.

It is obvious that you know the brand and the general requirements to be a Starwood Property. And in the eyes of a guest like you, it gives us pride to know that the service and property were satisfying your needs.

In W Istanbul, we are famous with our fashionable attitude that comes from our parties & one and only W Lounge. It is sad that you were so close to the bar, but for the next time if you are in a good mood, we will offer you a good quality cocktail to show you that the parties are worth the trouble!

Thank you so much for letting us know about your experience,
Hope to welcome you back in in the nearest future!
Warmest regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Am staying here just overnight, as my normal hotel was booked solid. Although I have never been a fan of the W hotels, I was happily surprised. Checkin was fast and friendly, thanks to AJ on the front desk. Room was modern and chic. Although so many lighten options was confusing!

Location is great and only a short walk to locations. If I could change anything, I would wish they had sheesha at the bar in house, so I don't have to leave the property. Def would recommend the hotel as a top choice in IST.

Room Tip: Splurge and get a room with a private cabana. I didn't and after seeing them, wish I did.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear W Guest,
Thank you so much for your time to share your feedback with us.

We are so happy to hear that the location, design and friendly talents were all making you feel at home and at the right place.

Assuming the way AJ is pronounced, you mean our lovely welcome desk agent Ece, to whom I will be passing your kind words!

We look forward to welcoming you in our Marvelous Cabanas sooner than later!
Warmest Regards.
Basel
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Stayed here for a long weekend trip to Istanbul and found the staff to be very nice, accommodating and the property to be clean and modern (just as you would expect for a W property). Our room, although small, was efficient and included a nice day bed alcove which made for a nice sitting area. The shower room and sink area were all very clean and nicely updated and the free little bottles of water were nice!

The hotel location is quite nice. There is a large grocery store across the street from the hotel and it is just a few blocks away from the water front and the Besiktas area - where there are many local restaurants and bakeries. The only downside about the location is that it is a 20 minute walk along a very loud and busy road to the No. 1 tram line (which takes you into the historic district).

Overall, I would definitely stay at the W in Istanbul again. All the staff members are very nice and helpful and the rooms are clean and modern.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Baris B, Guest Relations Manager at W Istanbul, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear W Guest,
Thank you so much for taking time to tell us about your experience with us.

We are truly glad that you felt welcomed and well cared upon your stay. It is always our one and only intention to provide you a friendly team with no obstacle towards the perfect Whatever/Whenever service.

It is unfortunate that the time you walked from hotel to Kabatas Pier & Tram station during rush-hour, we wish you will enjoy this lovely Bosphorus side route with magnificent scenery from Dolmabahce palace entrances and vibrant & young city life all around during a calm and peaceful times during your next stay with us.

London
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I have just returned from a week's stay at the W Istanbul with my sister and our friend and it really was so enjoyable. The hotel is dark, sexy and young which is what you would expect from the W experience. We were given a very generous sized room on the 4th floor which was very modern and clean. The bed was so comfortable!

The hotel lift ALWAYS smelt amazing, every time we stepped in it, it smelt so nice, this is always a nice touch. Im a big fan of house music and there was always great music playing in the lounge and hotel lobby. The location is very good too, the W is located in a very trendy arty neighbourhood with great restaurants and coffee shops around the corner.

I travel quite often so I know good hotel staff when I see them and this hotel has an amazing team running it! They were always so polite, professional and friendly. They did everything they could to make us feel welcome and looked after. Special mentions to the lovely Aysenur, Akin (who so kindly printed out our boarding passes) and Cihan the Night Manager. Also a big thank you to the two guys at Concierge who always took care of our bookings and advised us on the best places to go.

After staying at other hotels in Istanbul on previous occasions, I can definitely say that this is the best hotel in the city! I really cannot wait to come back. Everything was perfect and a big reason we enjoyed it so much was because of the staff. Thank you to all of you.

Book here, you will not regret it, you will be looked after very well.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank LenaLashes
Baris B, Guest Relations Manager at W Istanbul, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear W Guest,

So now the feelings are mutual, your comment made us say just WOW.

You cannot imagine how much inspiration it gives us to try the most vibrant and flirty again and again for our guests like you three lovely ladies.

Thank you so much for your kind words, which I will be passing to all those who are mentioned & more...

Please give us the pleasure of sharing this concept once more in the nearest future.
Because it is clear that you have the exact type of living that we try to give life in this beautiful city.

Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed May 1, 2013

The W was unlike any other hotel I have stayed in. To start with the location is great, just near the Bosphorous and a short walk away from the BJK stadium and the closest tram station. The room itself was very trendy but I quite liked it. The bathroom could have been more comfortable. If the prices were a little lower it would be the most obvious choice

Dear W Guest,
Thank you so much for letting us know your appreciation about our property.

We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed the attraction points around us, it is indeed a great spot to enjoy both breath taking Bosphorus and vibrant Istanbul life...

We expect to see you back in here in the nearest future, till then take care and miss Istanbul!

Warmest regards,
The Netherlands
Reviewed April 26, 2013

When choosing a hotel for work combined with vacation in Istanbul, I struggled as I heard great reviews from colleagues about the W but felt it might be a bit too hip for me. I prefer the boring classic hotels with large plain rooms and windows. But we all agreed to stay at the W. Upon arrival it was indeed a very hip hotel with dark rooms and cool gadgets. And of course smaller rooms as it is in a big city. Being claustrophobic I felt very uncomfortable and the staff did everything to help me calm down). They changed the room so I could open windows, showed me where the steps were and even walked up with me to make sure I was comfortable.
It is clear that I am not in the hotels target group. But I give this hotel the highest ratings as it is not only a very nice hotel but the staff and management were helpful, professional and wonderful.

Now, I probably will go back to my boring non hip hotel the next time. But I might come back just because I know that the team here is really a top team.

If you need a hip hotel for a business event to get your team to think a bit more blue sky, I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Baris B, Guest Relations Manager at W Istanbul, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Dear W Guest,
Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful, inspirational words about our property and our staff in which I luckily take place as well.
It is amazing to see how much you felt cared and welcomed during your stay with us.

We definitely hope that you are now connected and felt responded by our brand and concept in many ways that you will feel home in no other property.

Looking forward to be able to welcome you in the nearest future possible,
London
Reviewed April 26, 2013

This Easter I had the great fortune of returning to Istanbul and decided to stay away from my old haunts and try the W hotel (not to mention that they quoted the best possible pieces for this busy period).

I arrived and knew instantly where I was! W is as dark and moody as ever and it's distinct look, albeit turkished a little still carried element of their Broadway W.

After a small wait I was checked in and shown to my room. At the desk I was warned that there were scheduled parties over the weekend and that I might hear a little of it!

What always amuses me about the W is the constant lounge music which played throughout the hotel in the corridors and the lifts, I am sure in the early part of this century the constant Ibiza sounds was cool, but now it is just annoying!

My room was on the 5th floor, rather bigger than I had anticipated (warned by friends that their rooms are very small). I had a lovely bed, gorgeous separate shower room, the sink was exposed in the corner of the room (between the loo and the shower)... So not sure whether it would be comfortable if you were sharing this room.

I only ate breakfast there once which was adequate but not e exceptional! I had a couple of drinks at the bar and a couple of rather poorly made Lattes!
True to the warning from the front desk, the music from the club was loud and I felt I was in the middle of the arty every night... Lucky for them I am a night owl and had the stamina to go and see what was going on, but if I was after a good sleep, I would have had to wait till 3am before quiet would return to the hotel.

I am not sure whether I will stay at W again, but it was a well run hotel with some very well dressed concierge!

W is only a short distance walk away from the chic Nishateshi area and it has a young vibe around it! If you want to party Then this is the hotel for you!

Room Tip: If you want quiet stay to the far side of the hotel and on the higher floors.
1 Thank NedaNikbakht
Dear W Guest,
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us.
We are glad you have spotted a lot of details that we are proud to be able to reflect as a life-style hotel. Even if it is not your style, if you have a young and active soul, it is clear that you'll feel home in here.

If you had any experience that didn't meet your expectations, please keep in mind that your feedbacks and thoughts always keep us moving forward & to present a better service and property for you!