“Very nice!!”

W Istanbul
Ranked #118 of 1,149 Hotels in Istanbul
“Very nice!!”
Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

Very nice hotel, in very nice area .service was good.axtra tip for reception...staff thear are great.around hotel are a lot of police that make it very very safe.thank you for hospitality!!!!istanbul is istorical city and you can see many things. ..

• Stayed January 2013
Songul A, Public Relations Manager at W Istanbul, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear W Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at W Istanbul.

Your heartfelt words regarding W Istanbul talents and our service culture is the real source of happiness and encouragement for us. We hope to seee you again here, at your home away from home, or another exciting W Hotel around the world very soon.

Warm wishes.
W Istanbul Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Panama City, Florida
Reviewed January 26, 2013

This was my second stay at this hotel, first stay was in Nov '11 and was also amazing service. unfortunately I only had one night to enjoy the W and Istanbul, but everything about the W IST, from check-in quickly, to a room upgrade (I am a Starwood Platinum member), the recommendations of the concierge for dinner (Sunset Grill, beautiful view over the night lights of the Bosphorus), and the upstairs lounge area becomes a club, complete with DJ, in the evenings!! Great vibe, friendly people, and helthy/tasty breakfast the next morning. Go there!:)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Ace21
Songul A, Public Relations Manager at W Istanbul, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Dear W Guest,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay again at W Istanbul.

Its really great to read your positive remarks. As your family at W Istanbul we do work hard to deliver a personlızed service and atmosphere.

Looking forward to welcoming you back, Come back soon!
Best wishes,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed two times at the W. When I am in Istanbul, I stay in hotels for up to six weeks so I always stay at hotels with the lens as to whether I could stay there for a long term stay. In short, the answer is No. The hotel is a boutique hotel and is not 5 stars. It's a nice hotel for a short stay but no more. The property is charming, but small. If you are only there for awhile, it should not matter. For example, the gym is painfully small, there is no pool, and no sauna. The breakfast room was not large, but it was never crowded when I was there. The breakfast selection was not huge, but offered an a la carte menu as well.

The location is fine. It's in Besiktas not far from Dolmabahce. If you want to go to Taksim, taxi rides are 5-8 TL (depending on traffic). If you have an IstanbulKart or coins, walk down the hill, turn left, and wait at the bus stop. Board any bus that says Taksim or Kabatas. If you go to Kabatas, you can get off and take the tram or the funicular. The hotel is also right across from the boat station that takes you across to Asia. You can also board a Dolmus (shared vans) which can take you to many locations.

The rooms were small but well equipped. I first stayed in a junior suite which is a big rectangular room with a balcony (locked) overlooking the street. I didn't think the noise from the street was an issue. I heard the night club but the noise diminished. I was disappointed by the thinness of the walls. I understand this building is a historical building and that one could not change the structure of the building too much, but couldn't the W reinforce the walls? I heard telephones ring from rooms next door and people talking in the hallway. Internet did not work at first and I had to wait a long time before an IT tech came up and fixed it. As everyone says, the bathroom has no door. The shower is a great rainforest shower but when you walk out, your rear end is exposed to the room.

The second room I was given was much smaller but was on the top floor, had a sky light, and a patio. It was quieter but again, I didn't care for the bathroom being exposed (there are doors to the shower and the WC). The club in the hotel was nice but I don't know if I'd want to hear this every night. Closet space is adequate again if you are there for a couple of weeks max.

The hotel was adequate -- I am SPG Platinum so maybe I expected bigger rooms or something. Ohh, I was a bit surprised by this huge bottle of water on the night stand that looked really appealing (they gave me two 12 oz bottles of water for being Platinum member) and when I inspected this bottle, it said something to the effect of "Enjoy this water for 15 TL" or some outrageous price. I thought that was tacky. Also was the bottle of wine that was in the room that was for sale. Unless I was staying there on points, I don't think I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: Inner courtyard rooms are quieter but keep in mind that the walls are thin everywhere it seemed.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank citoyennea
Songul A, Public Relations Manager at W Istanbul, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear W Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at W Istanbul and your detailed review, as always we really appreciate all the feedback from our lovely guests as they help us tremendously to improve and review our service and facilities.
As you have mentioned, the W Hotel is located in one of the most desirable neighbourhoods and only a stone throw away from Dolmabahce Palace where one can see the last Ottoman Emperor’s splendour.

The W Istanbul is part of the Akaretler Row Houses, which were built in the 1870s as part of the Dolmabahce Palace and the interior designer blended the W design with Ottoman inspirations. Almost five years ago the entire buildings were refurbished and carefully brought back to their original magnificence.

The Gym of the hotel is only open to our guests and we do not have any outside members, it is small in size but has all the modern equipment for a good work out. Due to the above historical importance of the building the shapes and sizes of the rooms slightly differ however the smallest room we have is 32square meters. Thank you also for mentioning the complimentary waters we provide in the room, the other bottles are extension to the mini bar items and the price tags are there to inform our guests.

Thank you again for taking the time to write and we sincerely hope that you give us a second chance to make you WUV us.

The W Istanbul Team
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed January 8, 2013

The Istanbul W is a property within the converted 'Dolmabache Palace' apartment in the ottoman times which is now known as Akarteler. A very charming & scenic neighborhood with plenty of art galleries and design stores.

This prime property is close to major tourist attractions & within walking distance to the posh Nisantasi are with high end retail emporiums and the city mall. The checking in process took longer than expected as the front desk gentlemen could not get updated information of my SPG status which was upgraded on the 1st Jan 2013. I had expected a much friendlier hospitality.

I was lucky to be assigned to the a suite room 353 which was on Level 3 on the Suleyman Seba wing which was the shorter of the 2 wings where the rooms are. I personally asked for a room furthest away from the W Lounge & facing the courtyard instead of the main road after reading countless guests reviews right here on tripadvisor.

My room was spacious with high ceiling with an en suite bathroom which was Moorish in accent with the modern signature W touches. Despite being a 5yr old property, the upkeep is pretty impressive. The only set back is that the rooms came without tea/coffee making amenities which I think is a necessity for any modern hotels. I also found the beds a tad too soft for those who prefer them firmer. The bathroom towels should be also replaced as the wear and tear shows.

The hotel gym is small but sufficient for a quick workout and sadly there's no indoor lap pool which I feel that was a small set back. Breakfast was adequate but I find the service rather lacking especially during the earlier hours.

I had consulted the concierge service on dining options & the recommendations were stellar. I must commend Mr. Cem Manglay on being the most efficiently connected & hands on concierge ever! He's a gem to the establishment.

Overall it was a good W experience for me even though there were some lack lustre moments which I am sure they will be able to overcome.

Room Tip: If you need a good sleep always choose rooms the furthest away from the W-Lounge situated in the mai...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sonnysan
Songul A, Public Relations Manager at W Istanbul, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear W Guest,

We really appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay at W Istanbul. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your overall experience and we do also apologize that your breakfast experience was not up to your expectation. Please be sure that we take our customer's comments very seriously. I am glad that you received great service from our concierge and will coach our team members to continually improve.

As you have mentioned, The "Akaretler Row" historic buildings, where the W Hotel is ideally located, goes all the way back to the late Ottoman Empire period. The creative combination of the old with the contemporary is inspiring to all of us.
At W, we feel that this spirit also reflects the allure and heritage of Istanbul very well.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near possible time.

Warm Wishes,
Singapore
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I've stayed in quite a number of Ws in 2012. And W Istanbul is probably one of the better ones. I read all the other reviews and was careful in the selection of my room. In the end, the stay was good but it could have been better.

At the check-in
From the bell boys to the front desk staff, they were professional, polite and helpful. Frankly, we have nothing but praises for them. The concierge provided us with accurate information even recommended some good places for our meals.

The room
We were allocated a room on the top floor which has a small balcony. We would have spent some time there if not for the cold weather. The design is chic and has local design elements. I don't remember my bathroom not having any door (as mentioned in one of the reviews), maybe it's a different room or layout.

The only thing that really annoyed us is the door stopper. It’s placed at an inconspicuous corner on the floor and many times, we actually hurt ourselves when we stepped over the door stopper. The issue would have been solved if the door stopper is placed nearer to the wall.

The bar
The bar was rather quiet when we were there. Maybe it’s because we were there at about 7pm. There weren’t that many guests and hence, the service was prompt and good.

The gym
The gym is located near our room on the top floor. Had a peek into the room. It’s rather small but they have all the basic equipment.

The spa
We were rather disappointed with the spa because it does not have hammam facility in it. At one stage, we nearly wanted to pop over to another hotel to try the famous Turkish ritual. Anyway, we gave the spa a miss.

Location
We love the location because the shopping belt and many excellent restaurants are all within a 10 to 15 mins’ walk. But be prepared to walk up a very steep slope! If not, a taxi ride should take you about 5 mins. There is also this excellent chocolate café just round the corner. The neighbor is rather quaint and safe. So frankly, the best part of this hotel is the location.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the top floor
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear W Guest,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay at the W Istanbul Hotel and for giving us feedback on your stay. I am very glad to hear that you liked the location of the hotel and explored the different sites and areas around Akaretler. Our concierge is truly amazing and I am glad that they were helpful to you during your stay. I am sorry to hear that you hurt yourselves by the door stopper.
I will share your feedback with the management of the hotel and please know that we are continuously working to improve.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back at W Istanbul.
Warmest wishes,

Athens
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Following as other reviewers have said, this hotel needs a little more to considered great.

Location is good, as good can be in Istanbul's daily chaos. City itself is historical and interesting but too buzzy, messy,overcrowded and dirty for myself.

The property follows the W cozy trendy style, with dark corridors, sophisticated lighting and funky decoration, but I think a little more convenience would be welcomed.
Rooms are well spaced for not a new building, could be a little cleaner though.

We appreciated the mid week late night parties , which give character to otherwise indiffent atmosphere that normally city hotels have.

Staff is kind and willing to assist but not very efficient as barely a couple of guys could communicate in decent English. Concierge was one them.

Would recommend but not for everyone.

Room Tip: Make sure you fasten your seatbelt and hold tight when in taxi!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Songul A, Public Relations Manager at W Istanbul, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear W Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us feedback. I am delighted to hear that our Talent were very friendly during your stay. We apologize that there were some inconsistencies in your stay and we will address this immediately. This is not the W standard that we work to uphold and we hope you will give us another opportunity to WOW you. We really pride ourselves on our Whatever/Whenever service and look forward to seeing you soon again.

Warmest wishes,
bucharest
Reviewed January 5, 2013

well there is much to say for this hotel ,first of all there is a club in the hotel weekend to sleep forget it,expencive,rooms are great pillows are very confortable,what bother me the about this hotel is very loud ,the lift has red light like in hooker joint you cant even see the buttons of the lift
there is no wiew at all great concept ,great furniture ,great lighting but not for a hotel a night club yes ,relaxing zero,its for hipp young reach people who want to have fun in the night

Room Tip: do not sleep on second floor
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear W Guest,

We are delighted that you chose to stay at the W Istanbul and appreciate you taking the time to write a review. The W Hotels are design-led hotels and our interior design and lighting are unconventional. W creates an escape from the everyday and we truly apologize if it was not to your liking. I am glad to hear that you liked the W Bed and pillows,

We hope you give us the opportunity to WOW you soon!
Warm Wishes,